1998 Volvo V70 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Volvo V70:

1998 Volvo V70 Owner Comments

Jan 292016

V70 2.4L 5-cyl

engine accelerated, turned off ignition, but it blew upI was on the entrance ramp to I-94 when the accelerator stomped flush to the floor. The engine revved uncontrollably and I tried to clutch it down but kept on accelerating. At this point I TURNED OFF THE IGNITION but that did no good. All the instrumentation turned off but the engine was maxed out and was going berserk. I had a clutch so I pushed it into neutral but the RPM’s went to the 7,000s. With the keys off, I pulled of the Interstate desperately trying to stop the damn thing but nothing worked. I finally put it into gear to try and stop it and it literally “blew up”. It’s totaled, gone, kaput. What I want to know is if this has been previously reported, if there has been any kind of recall on this. Volvo wouldn’t answer any of my questions. It was a great car but it was a very dangerous situation that I haven’t been able to get any answers about. It look like some kind of a computer malfunction as a mechanical failure would have been solved by turning the key “off”! I want to lodge a complaint but don’t know where to start.

- , Moorhead, MN, USA