2002 Volvo V70 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Volvo V70:

2002 Volvo V70 Owner Comments

Jan 202016

The contact owns a 2002 Volvo V70. After starting the vehicle, a loud rumbling noise was heard coming from the engine. In addition, the vehicle accelerated independently and stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact stated that the instrument panel was dark and not functioning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle control and driver information module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V441000 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 135,000.

- Niantic, CT, USA

Oct 162014

V70 5-cyl

I was driving at approximately 6:30am, it was still dark, and my dashboard would not display. I was going about 35 miles per hour. I panicked because it tells me all the critical things about the moving vehicle. Then about 2 minutes later it came on. This non-display of the dashboard would intermittently happen when I drove the vehicle over the next month. I could not detect what the problem was. I went online and other Volvo V70 owner had the same problem. It stated that the problem was the dim (drive information module). The problem exists for years 2000 to 2009. So I took the vehicle to my Volvo mechanic. He said it was a common problem. The dim would have to be replaced. I had the mechanic replace the dim because I had no choice. I could not drive without a dashboard. I called Volvo and asked what they were doing about the problem. They said nothing. But they would report it to NHTSA with their next report. I personally think this part should be recalled. I was surprised to hear it was a common problem and for so many years. It could cause major accidents because you don't know your speed, if the vehicle has gas or any other warnings displayed if the vehicle has a problem.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Oct 252012

Instrument cluster: Service airbag warning came on and stayed on, shortly thereafter clock started going backwards rapidly, all gauges went off (came back with a smack to the dash). Found out there was no fault in airbags but the cluster's solder joints had loosened. (Volvo went to lead-free solder around this time) Volvo's fix involves replacing the cluster for $1200 for the part. I got a used one from junkyard and replaced it myself. Now it's two years later and this cluster is starting to exhibit the clock and intermittent outages. Definitely a safety issue as having no gauges is not good plus needlessly worrying about the airbag isn't good. Volvo refuses to recognize this as a problem despite it happening many times according to the number of posts on Volvo forums I have seen relating to the same issue.

- Marlborough, MA, USA

Jul 122005

Vehicle stalled and lost power talked to mechanic he warned consumer of stallin gproblem. Took vehicle to a Volvo for repairs. Dealer paid for parts and consumer paid for the repair work.

- Medina , OH, USA

Nov 032003

V70 5-cyl

I own a 2002 Volvo V70. On four occasions the power locks have malfunctioned. At times, we are unable to unlock the doors without the use of a remote control. At other times, it is impossible to lock the doors utilizing the power lock controls. The locks last broke on 11/03/2003. We have also had other electrical problems with the vehicle, including a power window motor failure and problems with a brake position sensor. Given the number of electrical problems, we are fearful that this car may be a fire hazard.

- Huntington, NY, USA