- June 20: The Midsize SUVs With the Best Headlights news | 7 days ago
2004 Volvo XC90
CarComplaints.com Notes: The XC90 took its “freshman 15” of transmission complaints and turned it into a “sophomore 45.” The 2004 XC90 saw 3X as many complaints about the transmission failing as it did in its inaugural North American model year! By the following year, transmission complaints fell back in line with the 2003. That sharp spike in complaints means we recommend avoiding the 2004.
On top of transmission complaints, the 2004 XC90 also has problems with a sudden loss of power. The lucky ones are met with a “reduced engine performance” message, while others are left stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow.
Worst 2004 XC90 electrical Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- sudden loss of power8
- various electrical problems1
- NHTSA: Electrical System141
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition4
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition: Switch1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Software1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Front Underhood1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Volvo XC90 Model Years
Curious how the 2004 XC90 compares to other years?
Check out our Volvo XC90 overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the XC90.