Transmission Failure

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: The XC90 took its “freshman 15” of transmission complaints and turned it into a “sophomore 45.” The 2004 XC90 saw 3X as many complaints about the transmission failing as it did in its inaugural North American model year! By the following year, transmission complaints fell back in line with the 2003. That sharp spike in complaints means we recommend avoiding the 2004.

On top of transmission complaints, the 2004 XC90 also has problems with a sudden loss of power. The lucky ones are met with a “reduced engine performance” message, while others are left stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow.

$4,467.00

1. reworked transmission purchased from volvo and installed (3 reports)
2004 Volvo XC90 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Volvo XC90:

2004 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Nov 122012

XC90 2.5L

Very frustrating and expensive to fix. I ended up fixing with a rebuilt one.

- , FRANKLIN, TN, USA

Jul 122012

XC90 T6

Bought this car used from a dealer,put around 10,000km on my car and now I'm forking out almost 5000.00 for a rebuilt transmission. This vehicle has been to the shop more than we've driven it. Never buy the xc90 t6 model. I can't wait to pay it off and sell. I certainly will not be looking at another Volvo.

- , St. Thomas, Ontario, canada

Apr 032008

XC90

Can't believe that the transmission failed at only 86,000 miles!!!! My installer informed me that the problem is sooo prevalent that Volvo is maintaining an inventory of re-worked transmissions in stock even though there is an obvious carrying cost to them!!!! This is unacceptable performance for a reasonably high end SUV.

- , Danville, CA, USA