CarComplaints.com Notes: I've heard about issues with the parking brake not being sufficient with this car. To be fair, it must be hard to hold back all that awesomeness.

2008 Volvo XC90 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Volvo XC90:

2008 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Nov 112016

XC90

I own a 2008 XC90 with only 21000 miles on it. While driving, with my child in my car, I received a message "reduced engine performance" and my car started sputtering. I barely made it home, going over a small hill was a struggle. Mind you, this happened at night and I was scared to death that I was going to be stranded on the side of the road with my child. I have read on forums that this has happened to other customers and Volvo currently has a voluntary recall for ETM at no cost to the consumer. When I entered my VIN on the Volvo site nothing came up. This is my mode of transportation and I am terrified to drive it until this gets resolved quickly.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jun 262008

XC90

My 4 year old son was in an accident with our brand new Volvo XC90. I got out of car to take a picture (leaving the engine on for air conditioning) and he shifted the car out of park, crashing thank goodness into a fence that slowly stopped him. Knowing he cannot reach the break I immediately tested the gear shift and found that it easily shifts out of park without your foot on the brake. We have returned the car to the dealer who has admitted "the car's shifter is broken". we asked to check another new XC90 it functioned properly. This could have been a fatal accident if it happened in any other location. We are hoping the dealer will fully repair the car or offer us a new one. I am not sure I can trust this car again -we just bought it this May. How and when did it "break" or was it defective to start with" should this car have even passed its safety inspection? can I get access to the factory's safety inspection? are there other reports of brand new Xc90S with defective gear shifts? has anyone else reported this? I'd have never known it was faulty if this accident hadn't happened. I expected this safety standard, as our old Volvo had it. Fortunately my son was not injured, but somebody else's child may be. Please check out these cars. What should we expect from the dealer"

- Washington, VA, USA