2016 Volvo XC90 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Volvo XC90:

2016 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Jul 282016

XC90

While the car was running in my garage and the front driver side door closed, I believe I put it in reverse then went to open the front door to see if my daughter was tightened in her car seat, the car didn't move. I am not sure if I put it back in park but after I took my foot off the brake, it didn't move. After a few seconds and my feet and body completely out of the car, it started to go back and almost ran me over. Luckily I jumped back in the Volvo truck and the door crashed into the garage. This is a brand new truck and has been in the shop with some recalls on the computer system a few weeks prior. The computer system has shut down several times while driving and I believe the long delay in going back might have to do with something with the electronics/motor. There is no way one should be able to completely get out of a car without knowing it is in gear.

- Halesite, NY, USA

Feb 232016

XC90

While driving on a city street I put the car in eco mode. The car was moving at the time. I noticed that the car seemed to be driving loudly. As I turned left, I saw the car was in manual mode and was in first gear. So I took my foot off of the brake to slow down the car and try to put it into drive. As I tried to move the gear shifter, the car came to a complete, sudden stop. It felt like all four wheels were suddenly and immediately locked. I could not move them, even as I hit the gas. I did not see any indication on the dashboard that the emergency brake had been activated. I had not fiddled in any way with the button that allows me to change to eco mode or with the parking brake. In the moment immediately preceding the stop, I had my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the gear shifter. The person behind me rear-ended me. The damage to my car was minimal. I had been the first person in the line to turn left, so there was no one in front of me. I am not sure how I was able to get the car started again. I think I turned the stop/start button a couple of times. I later attempted to recreate the automatic stop. Before making a left turn, I put the car into eco mode. As I turned, I slowly released the gas and slowly braked. The car again came to an immediate stop, as though all 4 wheels were locked at the same time. When then happened, I managed to get the car going again, and the next time I put my foot on the brake, the car came to a screeching halt again. I have not been able to recreate this scenario since then, including while trying to drive the car with a dealer rep. The dealer had a technician come in from ky, and he was not able to find any problems.

- Solon, OH, USA