8.6

2016 Volvo XC90 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Volvo XC90:

2016 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Aug 272016

XC90

The dashboard instrument panel suddenly went blank on a city street and the car could not accelerate more than about 5-10 miles per hour. It's frightening to imaging what would have happened if this occurred on a highway. Volvo's towing company put rear wheels on ground and damage all wheel drive system during towing. After stayed at dealership for a month but within 48 hours after pickup, a warning message "all wheel drive service required" popped up.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Sep 042016

XC90

While driving at @35mph on a busy city street the car decelerated suddenly without warning and the drivers instrument panel went out, giving me, the driver a blank screen. Car would not accelerate and slowed to about 5mph. No previous indication of this happening. Spoke with 2 Volvo service departments and both providers stated this has happened to other cars before. This is a huge safety defect especially on a brand new car. What if I had been on a freeway going 70mph and the car decelerates all of a sudden? very concerned that my children and I will die in a crash getting rear ended on the freeway if this should happen again.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jun 262016

XC90

Around $10.30 am on Sunday, 26th June 2016, I was driving on I-95 (near stamford ct) with my family when the car suddenly lost power, slowed down dramatically in the middle of I-95 and started to crawl at 10 miles/hour. We were in danger of being hit by a number of vehicles while I negotiated to exit the highway on exit 9 and pulled over into a side street. The instrumentation panel of the car had blanked out. The car could only crawl at about 10 miles/hour. It would not shift to higher gear even in manual mode. I called the Volvo on call and they advised me to switch off the car, exit the car and then re start the car after five minutes. I did that and the problem still persisted. I some how drove the car to the nearest Volvo dealership (stamford Volvo) which was closed on Sunday. Dropped the car off in the lot, rented a car and drove 200 miles back to boston.

- Andover, MA, USA