2016 Volvo XC90 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Volvo XC90:

2016 Volvo XC90 Owner Comments

Feb 232016

While driving on a city street I put the car in eco mode. The car was moving at the time. I noticed that the car seemed to be driving loudly. As I turned left, I saw the car was in manual mode and was in first gear. So I took my foot off of the brake to slow down the car and try to put it into drive. As I tried to move the gear shifter, the car came to a complete, sudden stop. It felt like all four wheels were suddenly and immediately locked. I could not move them, even as I hit the gas. I did not see any indication on the dashboard that the emergency brake had been activated. I had not fiddled in any way with the button that allows me to change to eco mode or with the parking brake. In the moment immediately preceding the stop, I had my left hand on the steering wheel and my right hand on the gear shifter. The person behind me rear-ended me. The damage to my car was minimal. I had been the first person in the line to turn left, so there was no one in front of me. I am not sure how I was able to get the car started again. I think I turned the stop/start button a couple of times. I later attempted to recreate the automatic stop. Before making a left turn, I put the car into eco mode. As I turned, I slowly released the gas and slowly braked. The car again came to an immediate stop, as though all 4 wheels were locked at the same time. When then happened, I managed to get the car going again, and the next time I put my foot on the brake, the car came to a screeching halt again. I have not been able to recreate this scenario since then, including while trying to drive the car with a dealer rep. The dealer had a technician come in from ky, and he was not able to find any problems.

- Solon, OH, USA

Nov 192015

I was driving on the freeway in rush hour traffic in eco drive mode with the auto start/stop function enabled. The auto stop kicked in and stopped my engine, but when I went to press on the gas pedal, the auto start did not restart my engine and the gas pedal was unresponsive. No alerts or warnings popped up - everything remained on (headlights, radio, etc), and nothing appeared wrong except for the fact that the car wouldn't move/accelerate. I was going around 1mph at this point, and pulled over to the shoulder, parked, and restarted the engine manually. I then drove home without further incident. I brought in the car to the dealer the next day. The response was that there was nothing to fix B/C no codes showed up during the diagnostic, and they weren't able to replicate the issue. They downloaded "software 1 and 2" and said that might fix the problem but they don't know. They said corporate doesn't tell them what the software updates do, but it seemed like the update mainly pertained to the radio which clearly has nothing to do with my issue. They tried to return the vehicle to me a week later (11/27) and I refused, and asked them to escalate the issue B/C I didn't feel the car was safe and there was no resolution. They assured me that corporate's field tech specialist was consulting with them on the phone and agreed the car was fine to be returned to me B/C there were no codes and the issue couldn't be replicated. I spoke to corporate (Volvo North America) and they said they would escalate on their side but had no specific details to reassure me the problem was taken care of. I asked for a flight computer to be installed to log the car data in case the issue happens again, and no answer on that request so far. I got the car back today (12/8) B/C they don't know how/what to fix. The dealer has mechanics and not the software engineers that need to look at the car.

- Corona, CA, USA

Nov 232015

Car was having issues with speedometer screen and center console screens. Screen would blank out when navigation system was in use and vehicle was moving. This would happen twice and system would normalize. Several weeks ago this happened and my husband and I smelled a weird odor and then smoke began bellowing out center console. Unit was turned off and dealer contacted. Vehicle was brought in but after three weeks still has issues. Went to pick up car on 12/5 only to find vehicle was having issue with retaining a fully charged battery. We were told al of these issues are due to software updates but to have speedometer go out while in use and to smoke is not safe

- Utica, NY, USA