NHTSA — Air Bags Problems

2005 Acura TL (Page 2 of 5)

2005 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Apr 152015

TL

Airbag light came on an intermittently for a couple of months regardless of passengers in the front seat or not. Now it is on all the time.

- Edgewater, MD, USA

Jul 062015

TL

The dash board on the passenger side of the car has two identical cracks about 10" apart parallel and opposite the other. I believe it is the airbag pushing up through the dash board. My main concern is the airbag is going to deploy without cause and hurt someone and/or cause an accident.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Jun 132015

TL

On June 13, 2015 while driving on a rainy night I hit a pothole that caused the driver's side curtain & seat airbag to inflate. The impact of the curtain bag to the side of my head caused me to lose control but regained it quickly. I drove to a shell service station to inspect the vehicle for damage. The only damage was to my passanger side tire that had a 2 inch long gouge. The tire did not go flat. I called my parents and we drove the car home.

- Katy, TX, USA

May 212015

TL

Only 43,300 miles and my dash produced a massive crack extending from the windshield vertically downward across the passenger side airbag today. Well maintained car with very low mileage. My concern is safety for my family. Airbag may either malfunction and not deploy or possibly deploy incorrectly in the event of an accident. Acura needs to take action immediately. Tons of complaints for this issue all over the internet.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

May 202015

TL

I've complained about this for a few months now, this has been worded the best: The dash board in my vehicle began to crack over the passenger side air bag and it has me concerned that the air bag may not deploy towards the passenger and may deploy upwards toward the windshield instead and not protect the passenger. This is a known problem with these model cars and Acura refuses to fix this defect. Does someone have to lose their life due to this defect before Acura acknowledges there is a defect and a problem?

- Stanton, CA, USA

Nov 122014

TL

Passenger side dashboard has major cracking and our concern is with the air bags. If there was an accident, and the air bags deploy incorrectly due to the cracking in the dashboard, there is a possibility the passenger would be not be protected as expected/needed. The car has been taken care of, never been in an accident and is spotless except for this one huge defect. Acura should recall this and make it right.

- Haymarket, VA, USA

Apr 012013

TL

Light comes on and resets. Then comes on. Not trouble codes.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jun 012011

- Hanahan, SC, USA

Sep 152014

TL

The contact owns a 2005 Acura TL. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Absecon, NJ, USA

Mar 192015

TL 6-cyl

I got into my car this morning at 10:15 am to go to work and noticed that the dash going from the vent by my windshield to the center speaker in the front middle of the dash. It also travels along the crease of my gauge hood as well. My SRS light was on shortly prior to this incident and am curious if this is for some reason the cause. I was not involved in any sort of accident, nor do I drive in any manner to have caused something like this to happen. I did drive the car yesterday, 3/18/15, in the morning and there was no damage like this what so ever. I also had taken the car in to the mechanic and they said that they could not find the source of what was causing the SRS light to be on. My car is a decade old, but I condition it and take care of the entire vehicle, so laziness or "sun damage" is not the issue. I am very upset that something like this is happening considering that the leather interior in these cars seem to be very low quality and are tearing apart! multiple consumers also have the same issues that I am having and I too agree that a recall should be issued for multiple defects that this specific year and model vehicles seem to be having.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Aug 302013

TL 6-cyl

At approximately 55000 miles a crack was noted over the instrument panel. As the weeks passed more and more cracks appeared in the dash, particularly in the area over the glove box where it would appear the passenger side airbag is located. Subsequent to that the passenger airbag indicator light shows as active or inactive. I am concerned that this is a safety issue and that the passenger side airbag will deploy without impact. I rarely drive this car due to this concern, and do not feel that I can sell it or trade it due to this issue. I have spoken with my local Acura dealer but they are unwilling to contribute any monetary assistance to correct the issue. They have contacted me regarding trading this vehicle in on another Acura, but that isn't going to happen based on the quality of the vehicle I own, customer service, and their unwillingness to address what is obviously a widespread problem.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 012014

TL

The dashboard has cracked on several places, including one large crack over the passanger's airbag. I'm concerned that airbags will deploy unexpectedly as a result or that airbags will not deploy correctly.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Dec 162013

TL 6-cyl

Vehicle presented cracks around instrument cluster and later on also all around passenger airbag. Few months later, vehicle started showing continuously the airbag red warning light once motorist's seat belt is buckled. Unsure if airbags work with warning light on.

- Margate, FL, USA

Dec 082014

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard has started cracking all over really bad. Some cracks are very big. Seems like the air bag could come out any time. It's manufacturing defect. Need to be fixed asap.

- Oakhill, VA, USA

Aug 072014

TL 6-cyl

The dash board on passenger side has cracked. The car was parked in garage for few days before I used it when I noticed the crack. I got courage to report it here after I seeing others having same issue.

- Montclair, CA, USA

Oct 062014

TL

2005 Acura TL dashboard has practically spilt wide open directly around the passenger airbag. The issue seems to be a defective dashboard that cracks vertically, as well as horizontally, right over the passenger air bag. My concern is the airbag deploying when there is not a crash, or if the airbag does deploy during a crash the force of the airbag may make it come out of the top of the dash instead of the front. This seems to be a major safety hazard, and Acura has refused to fix the problem. There are thousands of complaints out there with the exact same issue, and I believe it should constitute a recall of the dashboard.

- Poquoson, VA, USA

Jul 082014

TL

Airbag warning light came on.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 032013

TL

My Acura TL has dashboard defective with cracks around airbag section and spreading consistently all around. It really looks ugly. I'm afraid one day the airbag will malfunction while driving. It happen suddenly and its spreading erratically. I also have the airbag indicator on when driving with a passenger. Half of the dashboard lights now needs replacement. This should be replaced free of charge and should be considered a recall. Honda/Acura shall act immediately without any further delay. I bought this car new and took good care it. Their respond to this dashboard problems will make me and others re-think buying any Acura/Honda future vehicles. This is dashboard condition is unacceptable.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 012014

TL 6-cyl

My dash has a crack on the passenger side where the air bag is, about 6 inches long. I am afraid that the airbag will inflate or deploy later on.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 162014

TL

I am an owner of a 2005 Acura TL that I purchased with 5,000 miles on it in 2007. This is my second TL and third Honda all purchased through the Acura dealer. My vehicle has been kept in mint condition and has always been serviced by montgomeryville Acura in pa. In August of 2014 I noticed a large crack in my dashboard that ran along the front passenger side airbag area. A week later my airbag light came on and stayed on for 2 days without anything in the passenger side seat. It now randomly comes on at anytime during the day. I live in the North and have always kept a windshield cover on when not driving to protect my leather seats. I never used any type of product on the dashboard just wiped it with a clean towel to keep the dust off. I had no idea that this would happen to a 35,000 dollar Acura TL dashboard. Reading several post it is a very common occurrence among 2004 - 2007 Acura TL owners. I am extremely upset and very concerned about the possibility of airbag failure if the situation arose. I am considering legal action but would first like to see if this can be settled through good faith with Acura.

- Horsham, PA, USA