2005 Acura TL seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Acura TL:

2005 Acura TL Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 082014

TL

Airbag warning light came on.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Jul 032013

TL

My Acura TL has dashboard defective with cracks around airbag section and spreading consistently all around. It really looks ugly. I'm afraid one day the airbag will malfunction while driving. It happen suddenly and its spreading erratically. I also have the airbag indicator on when driving with a passenger. Half of the dashboard lights now needs replacement. This should be replaced free of charge and should be considered a recall. Honda/Acura shall act immediately without any further delay. I bought this car new and took good care it. Their respond to this dashboard problems will make me and others re-think buying any Acura/Honda future vehicles. This is dashboard condition is unacceptable.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Nov 012014

TL 6-cyl

My dash has a crack on the passenger side where the air bag is, about 6 inches long. I am afraid that the airbag will inflate or deploy later on.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Aug 162014

TL

I am an owner of a 2005 Acura TL that I purchased with 5,000 miles on it in 2007. This is my second TL and third Honda all purchased through the Acura dealer. My vehicle has been kept in mint condition and has always been serviced by montgomeryville Acura in pa. In August of 2014 I noticed a large crack in my dashboard that ran along the front passenger side airbag area. A week later my airbag light came on and stayed on for 2 days without anything in the passenger side seat. It now randomly comes on at anytime during the day. I live in the North and have always kept a windshield cover on when not driving to protect my leather seats. I never used any type of product on the dashboard just wiped it with a clean towel to keep the dust off. I had no idea that this would happen to a 35,000 dollar Acura TL dashboard. Reading several post it is a very common occurrence among 2004 - 2007 Acura TL owners. I am extremely upset and very concerned about the possibility of airbag failure if the situation arose. I am considering legal action but would first like to see if this can be settled through good faith with Acura.

- Horsham, PA, USA

Aug 012014

TL 6-cyl

My leather dashboard on the inside of my car has about 3 crack lines. The cracks also run on top of the area where the airbag pops out. This is a major safety concern for me along with many other people that have the same problem. I have never seen this condition on any car, and would expect not to see it on such a high end vehicle like my Acura TL. The dashboard should not be cracking at all. This should be an automatic recall item, especially because of the safety concerns. Please address this promptly. It is a shame that the dealerships say that this is natural wear and tear. If there is a airbag underneath it, the item should be recalled. Looking at older complaints on same issue, Acura where helping but my car is 10 years old and they don't help, this just happened which I think they should still support, the airbags may or may not deploy.. is this a safety issues, Acura charge $1800 to replace but at our cost the dealership want me to pay $700 and they will take the rest as they are aware of this issue. I don't think I should pay.

- Suwanee, GA, USA

Jul 032014

TL 6-cyl

The right side dash has cracked all around the air bag and now the air bag light goes off and on all the time.

- Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 012014

TL 6-cyl

My leather dashboard on the inside of my car is about 50% covered with cracks. The cracks also run on top of the area where the airbag pops out. This is a major safety concern for me along with many other people that have the same problem. I have never seen this condition on any car, and would expect not to see it on such a high end vehicle like my Acura TL. The dashboard should not be cracking at all. This should be an automatic recall item, especially because of the safety concerns. Please address this promptly. It is a shame that the dealerships say that this is natural wear and tear. If there is a airbag underneath it, the item should be recalled.

- Carson, CA, USA

Jun 092014

TL

I have 2005 Acura TL I've owned it for about 7 years. Went out today and found a crack on the passenger's side dashboard. Approximately 6 inches long, along the passenger's front airbag. Now the airbag warning light remains on. I bought the car with 64000 miles on it and it now has 116,000. I've kept the service up on it and she's been babied since I bought her. No armor all on it at all. I'm so disappointed. I just replaced the timing belt, the rack and pinion, rear breaks/rotors, and now this. I really thought this car would last me. Now, I've suffered trade in value damage because of a manufacturing defect. How can Acura not consider this a safety issue? my airbag warning light is on!

- Bridgeton, NJ, USA

Jun 062012

TL

My 2005 Acura has developed 2 very severe cracks in the dashboard surrounding the airbag on the passenger side of the vehicle. I am not sure how this will affect the performance in the event of an accident.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

May 022014

TL 6-cyl

Driver side airbag went off while driving.

- Hawthorne, NJ, USA

Mar 012014

TL 6-cyl

Almost overnight cracks in the dashboard developed running from windshield to passenger compartment in direction. There are six cracks the longest being about a foot in length. In the heat of the day all of the cracks seem to seal back up but immediately reappear when the passenger compartment cools down. To be specific the longest crack runs windshield to compartment on the passenger side of dash. Two smaller cracks run from windshield to center speaker and speaker to compartment. Two more run from windshield to instrument panel. Again all seal in extreme daytime heat.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Apr 302014

TL 6-cyl

Driving on I95 in boynton beach, fl, area. Heard cracking noises. Saw vertical split in dashboard, over the air bag. At the same time, cruise control feature stopped working. Split goes from windshield to about 4" above the bottom of dash. It has advanced about 1/2-1" since incident. Don't know if passenger airbag will properly deploy anymore.

- Delray Beach, FL, USA

Apr 092014

TL 6-cyl

The dashboard is cracked and has the potential for air bag issues.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Apr 182014

TL 6-cyl

Dashboard on passenger side has cracks forming around airbag location.

- Banning, CA, USA

Mar 012014

TL

My driver's side air bag light comes on often (more on than off). I notice that this happens on other 2005 TL according to the complaint listing I reviewed. Have not taken it back to Acura yet as I want to see research.

- Montclair, NJ, USA

Dec 012012

TL

Cracked dashboard over airbag on passenger side in which there are post and complaints of the same exact crack in the same location on the Acura TL 2005 and a few other years! I have another that just came up today 2-20-14 of a crack down the center into the speaker on the dash. This is a hazard as it is over the airbag and can cause severe damage and this should be recalled and fixed by Acura!

- Plain City, OH, USA

Jan 242014

TL 6-cyl

My dashboard are cracking over night. It was first one small crack and now I have 3 area that have crack. This all happen within a week! the crack are getting bigger as day go by. One of the crack is over the airbag and I feel unsafe. There are some plastic on the dash and if there was an accident, fear those particle may fly at me. I did my research and may Acura TL model from 2004-2008 have this same problem. Some had this issue at early as 20,000 miles.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 032012

TL

A crack in the dash on the passenger side at the airbag was noticed the summer of 2012. It started out small and eventually ran the entire length of the dash. Since that day several more cracks on both sides have appeared during different times of the year. Heat causes the cracks to close making it difficult to see them and open up when the weather or interior is cooler. Yesterday the 6th crack appeared, this on the other side of the passenger side airbag. The entire airbag compartment on the passenger side is visible with both sides outlined by cracks. Heat alone is not causing this as the last crack was noticed in 40 degree weather. With the airbag on the passenger side having cracks I am worried that the dash is unstable and could break off during a crash and become a dangerous piece of debris when (if) the airbag is activated in a crash. I am also worried that the passenger side airbag will not activate due to the damage to the dash.

- Dothan, AL, USA

Mar 012013

TL

My cars dashboard started cracking from the windshield to the front of the dashboard on the passenger side. The crack goes down the side of where the airbag deploys. Now my dashboard is riddled with cracks and Acura states that it is environmental and I should not fear the airbag deploying due to the cracks. I'm not alone as I have read countless stories similar to mine. I think it's time that Acura steps up and handles their defective design.

- Nwport News, VA, USA

Aug 172013

TL 6-cyl

Air bag dash warning light illuminates when front passenger seat occupied.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA