2.1

2004 BMW 325 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 BMW 325:

2004 BMW 325 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 062011

325 6-cyl

Rear turn-signal indicators began failing to operate, especially in hot, humid conditions. Inspection of wiring harness revealed evidence of wiring-connection degradation by heat or corrosion. The car has not been damaged or flooded in any way. It is kept in a garage. Since both rear blinker assemblies have been affected, I believe that the design or engineering was defective. The intermittent failure of turn signals is a serious safety hazard.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Jul 052011

325

2004 BMW 325I - safety defect. Rear tail light wiring, missing additional ground wire to avoid burning bulb carrier. BMW service information bulletin issued 2/2007 reveals BMW was aware of this issue and failed to notify consumers. Purchased car cpo in March 2007 and was not told. Replaced several taillight bulbs due to intermittent false indicator lights. Finally in 2011, 1 year after car came out of warranty...removed the wiring harness connector to the bulb carrier and found it to be melting. Contacted dealer and was told it could definitely start a fire if left too long. BMW dealer also stated this is a defect on cars produced from 2001 to 2005. After doing research found that BMW has used faulty wiring and there is a additional ground wire needed to fix. Needless to say, had to pay $300 to have peace of mind and repair.

- Corona, CA, USA

May 272011

325

Tail light working intermittently in BMW 2004 325 4 door sedan.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 082011

325 6-cyl

Just paid $419.53 for repair on my 2004 BMW 3 series for tail lamp connections and grounds. I understand that this defect is under investigation in number EA09-019. Please include me and inform me when I can submit paid bill, as I was terrified while driving in fl on turnpike when a light on my dashboard showed my rear brakes were failing. I immediately found fields BMW jin winter park fl and brought it there. They were aware of defect and told me that their fix would include grounding other rear brake light to prevent other side from failure. Thank you

- Woodstock, NY, USA

Oct 232010

325

2004 BMW 330xi sedan (E46) rear tail light indicator light consistently comes on, even though there is no tail lamp failure. Online community forums report that this is likely due to ground wire short in the tail lamp assembly. Cost of repair at dealership estimated at $700. Currently being investigated by NHTSA as EA09-019, but I'm wary of being overcharged by dealership for what should be a recall.

- La, CA, USA

Feb 262010

325 6-cyl

I want to report a problem with the ignition coils in the BMW 330xi model made in the year 2004 that results in reduced ignition firing power. The engine runs rough and the "service engine soon" light illuminates. BMW had a recall on ignition coils failure in 2005 and 2006 on some models but this problem now surface on other models as well. Please investigate.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Nov 302009

325

At around 20K miles, the smg (sequential manual gearbox w/ paddle shifters) on my '04 325ci began experiencing many of the same problems that I've read about regarding the automatic transmission. After a cold night, the smg would not shift into reverse or drive. It would keep "clunking" over and over, continually louder, until I shifted back into neutral. I had the car towed to BMW, where they had to replace the tranny. At 83K miles, I'm starting to notice some of the same problems again. Additionally, with both trannys, the car delays its acceleration for about a second or two when starting from a stop. This has always been a problem. On top of that, my alternator just went out after a cold night. In my opinion, BMW's (at least mine) do not like the cold!

- Edmond, OK, USA

May 012009

325

This is a formal petition for a safety defect investigation. My 2004 BMW 325xi has a left tail light that does not work because of a poor connection at the rear lamp connector (the ground wire receptacle and housing have burnt out because the ground is not strong enough for the current). My right tail light still functions but I am concerned about this side burning out as well and posing a possible fire hazard. BMW has issued a service bulletin (si B 63 03 06) which addresses this issue and says that the cause is "minor corrosion at the 8-pin rear lamp connector creates high resistance causing damage to the connector housing." BMW has not issued a recall and I am worried about getting into an accident without a properly functioning tail light.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Aug 082009

325

At first I thought it was defective light bulbs (one from two different sets failed when one set was installed for my turn signal and the other from my brake lights), but as I began to do more research online, I found that other people were having an issue similar to mine. They reported that there seemed to be an electrical problem that would cause corrosion and a loose connection. So I decided to check my car out as well and discovered that the problem had afflicted my vehicle as well. I then followed the link to the technical service bulletin released by BMW, and the problem that I am having is just as they have described. One of the 8-pin rear lamp connectors has melted causing a loose connection and my car continuing to tell me that I have a dead bulb, when in fact it is the connection.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 012009

325

The contact owns a 2004 BMW 325I. The contact stated that the faulty lamp warning indicator would intermittently illuminate on the instrument panel. The electrical harness that plugs into the rear of the lamp harness for the exterior lighting had a faulty ground in the connector. The dealer stated that the wires could not take the heat distribution, which caused the wires to fry inside the connector. The failure also caused the turn signals and rear lamps to not operate correctly. There were no recalls for the failures; however, the contact was able to locate technical service bulletins pertaining to the issues (NHTSA item numbers 10025585 and 10020856). The current and failure mileages were 85,000.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA