5.2

2008 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 BMW 328:

2008 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Mar 172012

328 6-cyl

When travelling on harlem river drive middle lane, my car all the sudden displayed an engine overheat light yellow that turned red within 3 seconds and started losing power (from 50-60 mph to 1 mph) within 5 seconds...the car had to be towed to the nearest dealership. This is an extremely dangerous situation, as I did not have enough warning time to pull to the shoulder. The dealership is stating that this is a water pump failure. I am aware that there are recalls on X5S but not on my car. My friend who owns the same car and year had the exact same problem resulting in the same cost of repair ($1600). My vehicle already has many recalls including seat belts, air bags, and high pressured fuel pumps. This should not happen to a car that has been maintained by BMW and just out of warranty (less than 60000 miles). Not even 4 years yet. I have owned many bmws and other cars and never had a water pump failure that caused a danger of this magnitude... I would appreciate if you would investigate the situation to prevent this from happening to other owners.

- New York, NY, USA

Nov 182011

328

The contact owns a 2008 BMW 328I. While driving approximately 10 mph, the contact heard a loud popping noise outside of the vehicle as the vehicle immediately began to jerk violently. The vehicle was driven to an independent mechanic who advised that the four motor mount bolts were fractured. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 44,000.

- Rio Grande City , TX, USA

Aug 212009

328

My 335I 2008 has had three recalls all related to the fuel system. With 24,000 miles it now has issues with starting.I recently have taken it back to my dealer, left it for four days, picked it up with "cannot duplicate customer complaint". in less than a week the start up has gone from three to five un, un, un, un, uns to crank. The car is about to go out of warranty and I believe that BMW knows there are serious problems and is refusing to repair until they are able to get repairs income. I guess I should have cancelled my special order when two weeks before delivery they called and said my car had arrived in us but would not be released due to "engine compression problems". all other issues I have asked to be repaired are not with dealer noting "cannot duplicate customer complaint". an accident waiting to happen. I have called and emailed BMW and dealer no one responded. And let's not even get to the tires!

- Houston, TX, USA

Nov 072011

328

While driving a loud bang was heard. The car made noise after that driving it. The car was then taken to the dealership, and upon examination it was discovered the mounting bolts ( aluminum ) for right engine support arm broke. They were replaced by the dealership as they said it was a flaw in the engine bolts. The car had 40,984 miles.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jul 092011

328

On July 9, 2011, I was driving at a speed of 30 mph in the process of exiting the parkway, with my family in the car, when the vehicle suddenly stopped operating! there were no warning lights, and nothing worked in the car. I was unable to put on my hazard lights or more the steering wheel. As the car was slowing down I kept trying to re-start the car but nothing worked. After coming to a complete stop, by using my emergency brake, I was able to push the key in and out and hit the start/stop and the car finally started. I brought my car to rallye BMW to have it serviced and also contacted BMW corporate because I did not and do not feel safe in my car anymore. I was requesting either a new vehicle or full value back on the car. BMW serviced the vehicle and stated "BMW reviewed remotely unable to replicate stalling. No problem found", and decided that my car is safe to drive. I completely disagree and feel this possible life threatening issue should be taken seriously.

- Astoria, NY, USA

Jan 232011

328

2008 BMW 328I stalls while driving. Once stalled under power as I was making a left turn across traffic - dealer said no code was thrown so they were unable to address. The other stalls have not during slowdown period, not as critical but they come with no warning whatsoever which is dangerous! no accident from it yet but I no longer feel safe driving this car. First occurrence in 2010, two more recently Dec 2010 & Jan 2011.

- Nc, NC, USA

Mar 152008

328

On three occasions since I purchased this vehicle new, while driving and accelerating the engine cuts out and RPM's suddenly drop. The date referenced below was the first time this happened. This has happened twice since then. I have taken the vehicle in all three times. They changed some parts, but this continues to happen. At one time, I was try to get through an intersection with oncoming traffic, although there was not an accident, it was scary. Another time was changing lanes on a highway. This seems to be intermittent problem.

- Naperville, IL, USA