2.3

2009 BMW 328 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 BMW 328:

2009 BMW 328 Owner Comments

Oct 022015

328

Bolt securing serpentine belt tensioner assembly against engine block broke off. The belt tensioner assembly also broke. The serpentine belt completely came off rendering vehicle undriveable. Happened when vehicle was stationary. Vehicle was towed to repair shop.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Jul 202015

328

I had just left home and had been driving for few minutes. Was waiting on top of a small hill at a stop light and started to accelerate when it turned green. That is when the car turned off and started to roll backward down a hill. Had to put on emergency brake and tried to turn on the car but nothing happened. So had to cruise backwards to the side of the road. Power steering was not working and was difficult to steer. After wating 10 minutes tried to restart car again and it turned on. Brought the car in to the BMW dealership and they said they could find anything wrong with the car. Now 4 months later my car is not working at all.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Dec 092014

328 6-cyl

On the highway stuck in traffic going about 30-35 mph the car suddenly shuts off. This has happened 6-7 times now. 2 of those times I was taking a slow left hand turn it has died in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic almost hitting me. 2009 BMW 335D.

- Norman, OK, USA

Apr 202013

328

Car was running very bad both check engine lights came on with one blinking total loss of power. The car was taken to certified BMW dealer who replaced fuel injectors, valve and tuned it up cost 3500 didn't solve the problem they said it's gas to air ratio is not correct the car misfiring on all cylinders the BMW dealer wants to charge me another 1600-2700 dollars to fix it. After picking the car up after the first repaired I was back in 2 days later. Dreyer and reinbold is the dealership. Updated 11/24/2014

- Carmel, IN, USA

Dec 302013

328 6-cyl

I was driving on when my car caught fire. The fire broke out inside the cabin, directly behind the rear passenger-side seat. I believe this fire could have been easily avoided if the sonnen BMW service department had performed their job more diligently. A week before the fire, I began to smell a burning rubber odor when I turned on my heater/defroster. I immediately drove the car to sonnen BMW. The service advisor responded that it was not BMW's problem. I brought the car back into BMW for service. I also mentioned repeatedly that I smelled burning rubber whenever I turned on the heater/defroster. BMW kept the car for a week. Apparently, because I mentioned the heater, BMW got fixated on looking for the problem within the heating ducts and never thought to check the electrical system. After having the car for a week, they told me that they had determined that the cause of the odor was a leaf that had gotten sucked into the blower assembly. They charged me $320 to open the assembly and clean out the leaves. When I picked up the car I insisted to speaking with one of the service managers, as this made no sense to me. I pointed out that burning leaves do not smell like burning rubber, and I doubted this was the cause of the problem. The service manager insisted that they were unable to find anything else wrong with the vehicle and that, after cleaning out the blower assembly, they were unable to duplicate the issue. It is apparent to me that BMW never once turned on the defroster during the whole time they had the car┐even though I indicated that this was part of the issue. If they had, they would have immediately replicated the issue and known that it had nothing to do with leaves in the blower. Rather then apologizing, the assistant manager immediately tried to shift the blame be stating that we told them the odor was coming from the heating ducts.

- Novato, CA, USA

Jun 272013

328

I had a low battery issue on my 2009 BMW 328I about 3 months after I had it serviced for a battery cable recall at motorwerks BMW dealer in bloomington, mn. Motorwerks diagnosed that the alternator was not working properly and needed to be replaced. I had tires plus replaced the alternator and battery for half the price compared to motorwerks. Unfortunately, the aftermarket alternator that tires plus installed caused my car to over heat because it was over charging. I eventually took my car back to motorwerks to replace the alternator and battery. I emailed the service consultant if it was normal for the original alternator to malfunction so quickly on a 2009 BMW 328I. I also informed him that I had my car serviced at motorwerks for a battery cable recall in March 2013 and asked him if it was possible that the original alternator issue was related with fixing the battery cable. He strangely has not answered my question which makes me wonder if they are not taking responsibility for the original bad alternator if it was related to the battery cable recall service. I'm also wondering if other 2009 3 series BMW owners had a low battery issue due to a bad alternator after having their cars serviced for the battery cable recall in March 2013. If the original alternator issue is found to be related while servicing the battery cable recall then I would like to get a full refund for their service on my new alternator and battery. Thank for taking the time to investigate my car issue.

- Blaine, MN, USA

Oct 012012

328 6-cyl Diesel

2009 BMW 335D, egr cooler cracks open and starts fuming unfiltered diesel exhaust into the environment and into cock pit of car. Highly dangerous gas has severe impact to occupants, car could not be driven as exhaust smell inside of car. BMW refuse to fix this under below mentioned recall as it does not include the cooler. Recall campaign no. 11E-A03: BMW voluntary emissions recall campaign scr catalyst, egr valve and/or def mixer and ECU software flash failed exhaust cooler makes the car illegal on road as it exceeds emission limits and is impacting the environment and is a health hazard.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA