2013 BMW 328 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 BMW 328:

2013 BMW 328 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Apr 212015

328

The contact owned a 2013 BMW 328I. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle accelerated on its own to 40-50 mph. All the warning indicator sensors blinked on and off. The contact depressed the brake pedal; however, the brakes failed and locked up. In addition, the steering failed. The vehicle drove over the sidewalk and the seat belt released automatically. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The struck her head on the steering wheel and injured her neck and lower back. Medical attention was received. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was deemed destroyed. The failure mileage was approximately 10,000.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Aug 122015

328

The contact owns a 2013 BMW 328I. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the brake pedal had to be depressed with force in order to slow down and stop the vehicle. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000.

- Greenville, NC, USA

Dec 142014

328

While I was exiting my driveway at my residence the vehicle's braking system did not engage. There was snow on the ground so I eased the vehicle onto the pavement on the main street, good thing no cars were coming. I then headed South on N broadway and the warning appears that the brakes have malfunctioned please drive moderately. After about 10 seconds the warning went away brakes came back. Now I just had the rear brakes replaced about a year ago and BMW also replaced the front. Now the service indicator is on again to replace the rear brakes again, after less than 10,000 miles. My car is mostly driven on the weekends and it is mostly highway driving. I also take outstanding care of my car because it looks better than the day I picked it up. (I detail and make wax etc). Besides that, these are the other failures on the car: Fuel injectors, 15,600 mi (stranded), rattle steering wheel and drivers door. Drivers side door rattle is back. Drivers side mirror, replaced and starting to malfunction again. Drivers side seat leather cover damaged and replaced. Door jam area damaged and the service department said nothing. I had to E-mail them. They said it could't be helped. I know better, they fixed all the damaged they caused. Horns, replaced, oil level sensor not operating properly, repaired. The fuel injector breakdown occurred the day after I picked it up from the dealership horns rattle etc. I have less than 25,000 mi and the car is 2 years an 5 months old. I Transport my 12 year old son on the weekends and sometimes during the week. I do not feel safe in this car any more. Called BMW N.a. and they send me a portrait of the 3 series prototype. 9 years in the marine corps as a sgt and over 30 years in law enforcement I have not scene this in competence in my entire life, if they cannot fix this vehicle its time for my attorney to step in.

- Yonkers, NY, USA

Jun 062015

328

I was driving down I-5 South on June 6 at about 6.30 pm with 2 of my friends. There was traffic on the highway and I applied my brakes after seeing the vehicle in front of me slowing down to a complete stop. My car slowed down but it would not come to a complete stop. It kept rolling. I pressed the brakes hard but I could feel a squealing feeling in the brakes and it just would not stop.it kept rolling. I released pressure on the brakes for a moment and applied full pressure again but still it would not stop. I felt like something was leaking as I pressed down on the brakes and the the complete hold and stop that happens after the brakes are pushed to the floor did not happen this time. I pulled the hand brakes but by that time it was too late. My car then rolled on bumped into the car in front of me which made it come to a stop. I would like to add that this has happened previously in the past. The first time it happened I had sent my car to BMW seattle when my car shifted to neutral by itself because of an engine failure and as it was rolling down I pressed the brakes but could not push it down. I hit a pavement by the right to make it stop.BMW seattle said that they could not find any fault even after me repeatedly telling them that it did happen and something was wrong. This issue resurfaced a few weeks back but luckily there was no one in front of me and after repeatedly releasing the brakes and pressing it hard with full force I made it come to a complete stop. Unfortunately this time I met with an accident because of this issue. I am now really unsure of driving my car anymore.moreover my trust on BMW is compromised as they told me that this issue cannot and did not happen. If the service team cannot find a genuine fault with their system that is happening repeatedly I don't think they can be trusted with the safety of the car.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Feb 222015

328 4-cyl

When approaching a red light and attempting to apply brakes, the brake pedal became very firm and normal braking function was lost. The only way to bring the car to a stop and avoid an accident was to deploy the emergency brake. This occured on 2/20/15, and BMW service attempted to repair the issue. A second, identical incident occured on 3/10/15.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Dec 012013

328 4-cyl

The contact owned a 2013 BMW 328I. While driving 63 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle failed to respond. In addition, no warning lights illuminated. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle and the air bags exploded, ejecting metal fragments. The contact sustained leg, ribs, and sternum injuries. The passenger sustained bruises, a punctured intestine, neck, and rib injuries. Both the driver and passenger required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 8,500...updated 12/29/14

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 212014

328 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 BMW 328I. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle failed to stop when the brake pedal was fully applied. As a result, the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. There was no police report or injuries. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 12,600. Updated 11/20/14 updated 5/5/2015

- Cary, NC, USA

Aug 182014

328

On August 18, 2014, my 2013 BMW 328I with automatic transmission, suddenly and unintentionally accelerated as I slowly pulled into a parking spot at work. It happened as I prepared to stop. ( my foot was on the brake.) it failed to stop or slow down in response to brake pressure. Pumping the brakes was totally ineffective however it did eventually stop approx. 6ft over the curb. The car moved so quickly and so suddenly the driver pulling in behind me for an instant didn't know where I had gone. That this happened in a parking spot and not on the road at a stop light or a children crossing is a miracle. This automobile was purchased new and has approx 8000 miles.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

May 212014

328 4-cyl

The car has been taken back 3X in the past 3 months for the same issue the car turns off by itself when stopped. BMW dealership could not find any mechanical problems or reasons for engine shutting off.. they shut off the feature and the car continues to shut off... on the morning of July 3, 2014, as I was coming to a red light the brake pedals got very hard and I had to push the pedals all the way to the floor for the car to stop completely. The car is currently in the shop being checked out. I called BMW to find out what can be done, I dont feel safe in this car anymore.

- Miami , FL, USA

Jan 232014

328 4-cyl

Stop-and-go traffic on highway, lost braking power, couldn't stop and rear-ended car in front.

- Resont, VA, USA

Feb 172014

328

The contact owns a 2013 BMW 328I. The contact was having problems with the braking system. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer but was not repaired. The contact was later driving approximately 5 mph when the vehicle failed to stop and the contact crashed into the rear of another vehicle. A police report was not filed and no injuries were reported. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 6000.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 182013

328

The contact owns a 2013 BMW 328li. The contact was approaching an intersection at 15 mph when the E brakes failed. The contact subsequently crashed into the rear of another vehicle. There were no injuries. The police were notified and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection but the contact was not informed of any diagnosis. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Maple Wood , NJ, USA

Jan 142014

328 4-cyl

While parking car accelerated - would not stop. Went through parking lot, over railroad ties and went across street - brakes would not work, air bags did not deploy. Only thing that stopped the car was the gate that it crashed into - 2 days prior to this, car shut off while at a red light - totally shut down, next day (day before accident) radio panel froze - could not change channel or anything - almost like electric system froze.

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Nov 272013

328 4-cyl

Intermittant loss of brake assist resulting in rear end collision.

- West Linn, OR, USA

Oct 012013

328

Why would this information be on the internet, while NHTSA has not released any recall information at all" this is not the only information about a "brake" recall, while NHTSA's ODI has initiated a brake "investigation." Various BMW internet forums have indicated a "recall" in detail...but NHTSA's web site indicates nothing. What's going on" recall: 176,000 bmws for power braking failure the 3-series, 5-series, X1, X3 and Z4 models with 4-cylinder engines are affected. By exhaust notes 11 hours ago BMW is recalling 176,000 cars worldwide to fix power brake failures, according to wire reports and filings with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. On 2012-2014 BMW models with the company's new 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine -- including the Z4 sdrive28I, 320I and 328I, 528I, X1 sdrive28I and xdrive28I, and the X3 xdrive28I -- the engine vacuum pump can lose pressurized oil meant to drive the power brake mechanism. Due to a poor fit of the intake camshaft's seal disk, oil may be blocked from leaving the engine to lubricate the vacuum pump, which could then cause the vacuum pump to fail and the loss of power-assist braking. While the brakes would still work, stopping distances would increase due to increased driver force needed on the brake pedal. A total of 76,190 cars are affected in the U.S. the diesel-powered 328D is not affected. More.

- Torrance, CA, USA

Sep 222013

328 4-cyl

While driving southbound on a two lane road, I went to apply my brakes as an intersection was ahead. When I pushed my brake pedal in, it returned no pressure and felt like my brakes were out. I pushed the brake pedal all the way to the floor, while using the E-brake as back-up and came to a stop. I did not think the vehicle would come to a stop before entering the intersection. I returned the vehicle to a safe location and notified roadside assistance for a tow the next morning. The vehicle has been at the dealership since last Monday.

- Avon, IN, USA

Aug 292013

328

Purchased the new BMW 328I 2013 in may, 2013. After roughly 3 months having the car, I was in a parking lot, pulling into a spot at a low speed. For no reasons, the brake suddenly and totally failed on me. I could not stop the car before the car run over the curb and the front end of the car collided with the concrete block. I was luck that I was not on highway or street when this brake malfunction occurred. I called BMW sos assist and requested towing the car to a local BMW service department. The BMW service advisor told me to send the car to the collision center for a regular body work, but I showed them all the brake malfunction incidents reported online for the same model and year car and insisted they contact BMW na and check the entire brake system. The car has been in BMW position now for two weeks waiting for BMW na field engineer. BMW did not provide a loaner to me.

- Cypress, TX, USA

Sep 012012

328

I have experiences braking problems in my BMW 328I since I purchased it in August of 2012. Specifically the car will lose braking pressure at low speeds as I am coming to a stop. The problem is intermittent and my car dealer has been unable to replicate and diagnose the issue. In detail: I will be coming to a stop, perhaps 2 or 3 mph using constant brake pressure to stop the car. Occasionally there will be a loss of brake pressure and the car will keep moving forward several feet unless I apply hard pressure to the brake peddle. This occurs with some regularity and has not caused and accident. I now compensate for it, but it seems to be a very strange issue to have.

- Exton, PA, USA

Jun 162013

328 4-cyl

Bought a new BMW xi 328 on April 30. On June 16, with 1700 miles on car brakes failed. While slowing for a traffic light the brakes seemed to engage but failed to stop the car--like they were working but didn't. car went through a light and I quickly hit park to stop it in the intersection. Once no cars were around I pulled to the side and tested them. They stopped on a few tests so thought it was me. And as I drove, slowly, the brakes stopped several more times, and then they failed again and I averted hitting another car by pressing park button again. I had the car towed to BMW and they determined it was the vacuum pump and other brake issues. No warning light went on the dash to alert me. They said there was a service alert on this issue by BMW. BMW said parts not available for several weeks and two days later offered to exchange the vehicle for a new one. Brakes seemed "spongy" from the start but had always worked until they didn't. fortunately no one was hurt. I took them up on their offer and new (exchanged) car brakes feel ok. I didn't report because NHTSA rep told me not necessary because BMW was doing the right thing. But read in la times that this is a bigger issue and wanted to go on record that there was a problem. BMW did the right thing but worry that this issue could crop up with others, and even in my new car.

- Milford, CT, USA

Jul 152013

328 4-cyl

I was moving very slowly, less than 5mph, in a line of cars waiting to pull into a parking lot. All of a sudden, brake pedal became rock hard. I could not stop the car from rolling. I had to shift into park to avoid hitting the car ahead of me. Restarted the car, brakes felt normal. This has not happened since. I informed the service department at the dealer, but they said they can't re-create the problem, therefore they cannot do anything about it. I read news reports that this is being investigated by your organization and decided to report the incident which took place on 7/15/13.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA