2007 BMW 335 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 BMW 335:

2007 BMW 335 Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jan 032010

Purchased a used 2007 BMW 335I. Within 2 weeks car would shake and would lose power at higher RPM. Engine service light would come on, but not be present on restart. Dealer diagnosed as a faulty high pressure fuel pump. Dealer blamed it on fuel quality however I followed manufacture recommended octane ratings. Was also told that dealership has had massive problems with the fuel pump on this model turbo engine.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Jan 022010

This is a second complaint of the same exact problem that I had previously in April 2008. The ODI id number is: 10227507. On the evening of Jan. 2nd, 2010, the replacement fuel pump failed while I was driving the car as I was making an approach to the onramp onto the freeway. The car shuddered, rattled, and loss power and eventually died. I had to tow the car to a storage overnight and waited until Jan. 4th, a Monday, to tow the car again to a nearby BMW service center. They eventually replaced the fuel pump, which is a 3rd fuel pump, including the original that came with the car. It was very frustrating that I was stranded 140 miles away from home, and had no transportation for 48 hours until the problem had been resolved thereafter.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 302010

The high pressure fuel pump in my BMW 335I. The consequences, while well documented, for me lack of acceleration and unable to go past 45mph. This occurred on a major freeway where the speed limit is 60mph across the lake Washington bridge. The part replaced was the high pressure fuel pump by BMW. What lead up to the failure? simply accelerating to freeway speeds caused the onboard computer to notify me there was an engine malfunction. It then reduced my speed to approximately 45mph.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Nov 282009

Noticed a long crank (about 5 seconds long) when I started my vehicle (2007 BMW 335I sedan) in the morning. The vehicle did start though. I was coming home from breakfast when the "engine malfunction" light came on and dramatically reduced power. At the time I was turning left at a signaled intersection. I was not able to accelerate through the turn and could have been struck by drivers turning left behind me. After a second or two, the car was able to accelerate, but in a reduced power state. Later, it was determined the high pressure fuel pump failed. This was the second high pressure fuel pump replacement on this vehicle within a 6 month or about a 8000 mile span. If I was on the freeway or other high speed road, and this reduced power state appeared due to the fuel pump - I would pose a serious hazard to others on the road, and put my safety in jeopardy.

- Aliso Viejo, CA, USA

Nov 042009

BMW 335xi fire burned car total loss after driving 1/4 mile. Vehicle was at BMW days earlier with a complaint of rough idle/reduced power. Told engine faults would be handled by software update. Fire burned two cars with a small explosion and 15 foot flames.

- Bellevue , WA, USA

Jun 132009

The fuel pump/ injector problem in bmw335I twin turbo charged engines. The car suddenly gets into a limp mode(drop power and engine malfunction lights on) when driving on freeways/ramps etc. Fuel pump replaced. The problem occurs again in 2 months. Fuel injectors replaced. Don't know if this will occur again.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Jun 162009

High pressure fuel pump failed on my car twice 1st instance - 3000 miles on car - 2 months old - octoberish of 07 - symptoms were long cranking - taking 5-10 seconds to start - occasionally 20-30 seconds. (complaint was never filed - dealer replaced under warranty) 2nd instance - just a few weeks ago - no warning - driving away from my house, pulling into a busy street, suddenly almost no power, and almost stalled, and would have if I didn't get the clutch in and foot on the gas as quick as I did. Car went into limp mode and was barely drivable. Had to abuse the clutch just to get it to move without stalling, felt like it had maybe 50 horsepower if I was lucky. No exaggeration. - would occasionally stall at idle at this point. Barely limped a few blocks home. (this fuel pump was the 2nd in the car, had about 25,000 miles on it and about 1.5 years).

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Mar 152009

Purchased a BMW 335I coupe from BMW of manhattan and it has broken down half a dozen times and spent over 30 consecutive days at the service dept. When it broke down the first time due to faulty fuel pump that I was told is on back order then broke down few more times due to similar problems including recently car dying on me due to fuel injector malfunction. 23K miles on the car.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jan 242009

Car loses power and shakes. Check engine light comes on. Car dies and must be towed. This is the second time this has happened. The first time 6 months ago the fuel pump was replaced.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jan 172009

Long cranks to start, shaking now while starting, engine service soon light appearing.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 172008

BMW 335I had a fuel injector problem and within 2 weeks I have a microfilter problem. In 3 weeks, my car has been in the shop twice.

- Villa Park, CA, USA

Aug 062008

Fuel pump failed a second time. My original complaint # is 10227599. Exact same symptoms.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Aug 012008

Car started perfectly for first 10000 mi. Starts were short and smooth. Car undriven for 7days before incident. Driving on freeway after an unusual long hard start. Lost engine power all of a sudden. Car system says: Engine malfunction engine power reduced. The same thing happened on the next few starts-reduced power after a short time driving. It then failed on every start until I had my appointment (18 days) us model 2007 335xi build date May 2007 took it to BMW gallery in calgary. It is the high pressure fuel pump and it is on indefinite backorder from germany. They cannot fix it until BMW releases a new version. There is no eta for this part. They tell me it is ok to drive. I feel it is unsafe. From my investigation, this is a common problem that merits a complaint.

- Calgary Alberta Canada, 00, USA

Aug 022008

NHTSA action number : PE08032 NHTSA recall campaign number : N/a make / models : model/build years: BMW / 335I 2007 manufacturer : BMW of North America, llc component : fuel system, gasoline fuel system, gasolineelivery fuel system, gasolineelivery:fuel pump date investigation opened : April 28, 2008 date investigation closed : open summary: The 2007 BMW 335I vehicles are equipped with a high precision fuel injection system designed to allow precise metering of the fuel mixture and higher engine compression to increase engine and fuel efficiency. The system includes a standard in-tank fuel pump to deliver fuel to the engine and a high-pressure fuel pump driven by the oil pump chain drive assembly, which can achieve a maximum programmed fuel pressure of 200 bar. ODI has received three owner complaints of stalling incidents in the subject vehicles due to failure of the high-pressure fuel pump. Additionally, ODI has received eight complaints alleging incidents of vehicles unexpectedly going into a limp mode because of high-pressure fuel pump failures. A preliminary investigation has been opened to assess the scope, frequency and safety consequences of the alleged defect.

- Washington Dc, DC, USA

Aug 112008

Started my car in the morning in about 400 feet after changing to 2nd gear and the clutch fully engaged drove 20 feet and the car bucked. No engine fault lights lit. Drove to work. At lunch time started the car and the engine light was lit anything about 1/4 throttle the car would bog down and slow down. Maximum speed was around 45mph with very little acceleration. Upon restart the car was running without the engine light and performance returned. I'm concerned this could happen at any moment such as merging onto the highway. This is a major safety concern when I have my family in the car. Contacted the dealer and they inspected the car the next day. They found the hpfp to be faulty and replaced it.

- Eht, NJ, USA

Aug 112008

My previous car was a 2007 BMW 335I coupe. After a couple of months of owning the car, the car was diagnosed with a faulty fuel pump. Subsequently, I purchased a 2008 335I convertible. After driving the car for a couple of thousand miles, the car started showing signs of a faulty fuel pump (long crank times). Yesterday, the engine malfunction light came on and the issue was determined to be that of the faulty fuel pump. At this point, the car went into limp mode with reduced power. Additionally, there was shaking and the car was misfiring and running very rough. This is clearly a huge defect with the 335I engines. It is a safety hazard should the fuel pump break while the car is on a highway, or in a deserted location with no access to a repair shop. I would appreciate if this issue is given the seriousness that it deserves.

- Woodside, CA, USA

Jul 272008

2008 BMW 335I. Jan build picked up at the BMW welt in Feb of 08. @9,500 miles. High pressure fuel pump failure. Car experienced a sudden loss of power while I was driving on a secondary road. Thankfully I was about to make a turn and the car behind me was a reasonable distance away. Also service engine soon light has come on. Car has a very rough idle and is barely drivable on public roads.

- Mauldin, SC, USA

Jan 072008

Rough idle with fluctuating RPM, long crank before engine turns over on ignition. At first it was once a month occurrence, soon it turned into once a week and became almost a sure-thing. Took it to a BMW deal who replaced a fuel pump. Now long crank and fluctuating RPM at idle is mostly gone but rarely happens again. Also, sidewall of front passenger side run-flat tire (rft) has a bubble even though the tire hasn't experience any shock (from potholes, etc).

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jul 012008

2008 BMW 335I (E93) high pressure fuel pump failure resulting in long starts and sometimes reduced power or engine stalling while driving. BMW replace hpfp (high pressure fuel pump) with rebuilt unit at 2,200 miles.

- Reading, MA, USA

Jul 102008

My 8 month old BMW 335 fails on me while driving in the freeway with my 7 year old son at 1130pm. Engine malfunction. Towed it to the dealer -it was the fuel pump. They apparently replaced it..the next day I got it back late afternoon. Driving it back home after 60 miles. It did it again. Apparently im not the only one who' S having problem..this is a very just stop in the middle of the road with a vehicle that's only 8 month old....hope you will address this.

- Delano, CA, USA