2006 BMW X3 accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 BMW X3:

2006 BMW X3 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 282016

X3

Was driving down my BMW X3 down the road with my seat warmers on and the inside of my car started to smell like something was burning I figured something was wrong with my seat warmer so I turned it off a little ways down the road I pulled over to check and make sure my seat was okay and noticed a small burn on the bottom left on the back of my seat and I checked my sweater and there was a burn mark on it too

- Richland, WA, USA

Jan 202016

X3

I'm filing this complaint on behalf of my wife. She was driving down the highway utilizing the heated seat function of the vehicle today when she smelled burning and the seat became dangerously hot. She pulled over and turned the heating function off which temporarily resolved the the problem. A little research on the internet reveals that this is a common problem with 2006 model BMW X3S. Some cases being so severe that people's seats have burned them and even caught fire. This is extremely dangerous.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Apr 012015

X3 6-cyl

I was driving and noticed a burning smell. I had my seat heater on and noticed a very, very hot spot on the bottom part of the seat on the left side. I hurried and shut the seat heater off, but noticed burn marks on the leather. The seat would have definitely caught on fire if I hadn't shut off the seat heater.

- Provo, UT, USA

Feb 232014

X3 6-cyl

I was driving when I smelled smoke and realized that the driver's side seat had caught fire. I stopped the car, jumped out, and saw that a hole had burned through the car seat and I could see flames. I don't understand how this has not triggered a recall as it is obviously extremely dangerous to have your car catch on fire while driving.

- Denver, CO, USA

Dec 292013

X3 6-cyl

Driver side heated seat caught on fire.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Oct 302013

X3 6-cyl

Seat heating system issue: Without any earlier warning signs the driver seat overheated very quickly (within one minute of turning on the seat heaters) to the point of burning the drivers skin. A burning smell occurred at the same time. The driver had to get up from the seat rapidly to avoid any serious burns. This made bringing the vehicle to a controlled stop very difficult. The driver was halfway up from the seat with the seatbelt holding the driver back. This could have lead easily to an accident as it is very difficult to control a vehicle in that position. Fortunately, the vehicle was still at a slow speed and operated in a residential area. However, the risk of an accident or injuries at a higher speed and/or more populated area would have been much greater. I believe this is a serious safety related defect under the United States code for motor vehicle safety (title 49, chapter 301). Internet research and multiple complains on the NHTSA website confirm that this is not an isolated incident.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Oct 212013

X3 6-cyl

I had a problem with the driver's side seat warmer in my 2006 BMW X3 starting on about October 21, 2013. While I was driving on a couple different occasions, I felt a "shock" in my left thigh. I didn't think anything about it until the seat warmer stopped working all together. I brought it to the dealer to fix and found that the entire heating element would have to be replaced, at a cost of over $1500. As I am looking into the problem, I found that this has happened to numerous others. I am fortunate that there was not a more serious injury, and that my seat was not damaged to the extent that others have encountered. However, this is an unacceptable problem and BMW should be taking care of it.

- Bedminster, NJ, USA

May 242013

X3 6-cyl

When testing the heated seats in this vehicle, after 5-10 secs, I felt a strong heat sensation on my left thigh. The there was a burn hole in the driver's seat on the left side. Switched off heat warmer right away.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 012013

X3 6-cyl

I felt a burning sensation under my left leg and pulled the car over. Noticed that the seat had cracked and there was a discoloration indicating a burn. I switched off the heated seat and continued. I have felt this burning sensation a few other times and would turn down the heat or switch it off altogether. The dealer suggested a change of the seat cover which costs upwards of 1000 $S

- Sayreville, NJ, USA

Feb 012013

X3 6-cyl

Turning into a driveway with a boulder on the edge/corner. With the drivers side seat heater on, the seat burned a hole thru the leather and made me turn abruptly and bumped the boulder. Damage to the fr. Bumper, inner fender and wheel. Left side (drivers) seat bolster has a burn-through hole.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jan 282013

X3 6-cyl

Started the car in my driveway this morning and let the engine idle for a minute or two before driving off, I energized the drivers side heated seat to the lowest setting, after 10 sec or so I started to smell a burning odor and felt a sharp pain under my left thigh. I turned off the heated seat immediately, shut the car off, and got out off the car to see what the problem was. I noticed a small black burn mark on the seat that was very warm to the touch. I called BMW North America to file a complaint, the lady on the phone took my information and statement as to what had happened and suggested that I take the vehicle to an authorized BMW dealer for inspection. I had the vehicle inspected later this afternoon by concord BMW and was told by the service manager that since the car was out of warranty that the dealer would not cover any repair cost of the damaged seat. I asked if they would contact BMW North America on my behalf and ask them to authorize and pay for the repair due to the severity of the event, heated seats are not suppose to catch fire and myself or someone else driving the vehicle could have been burned. I was told no, that I would have to take it up with BMW North America on my own.

- Concord, CA, USA

Oct 242011

X3

The heated seat device in the passenger seat becomes hot enough to burn your leg, primarily on the left side. A burning sensation and intense heat is felt when the heated seat is turned on, making it impossible to use, for fear of burns or fire. Appears to be a common issue with these seat elements, and could cause serious burns or fire. Why is there not a recall on a serious bodily injury, safety and fire issue?

- Auburn, CA, USA

Feb 012012

X3 6-cyl

Front seat heaters become too hot on outside bolster ( left side on driver's seat, right side on passenger seat), burning hole in seat cover and burning person sitting in seat.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Jan 112011

X3 6-cyl

Heating element for front driver seat shorted, causing it to burn through the leather. Fortunately, I caught it in time before fire or injury. Searching the internet reveals that this has occurred for many others as well, sometimes with more damaging results.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jan 292012

X3 6-cyl

Driver seat caught fire when seat warmer was engaged. Leather seat has visible burn mark. Fire burned driver. When seat warmer was disengaged, smoke began billowing from seat, filling the vehicle with smoke. Seat warmer was engaged upon vehicle start in owner's garage. Vehicle was moving approximately 10 mps (1-2 mins later) when fire began.

- Lakeway, TX, USA

Jan 132012

X3 6-cyl

After my 2006 BMW X3 had been running for about 10 minutes, with the heated seat on, I began to feel a burn in my bottom as well as smell smoke. I pulled over, got out, and noticed that the left cushion of my drivers seat was smoking and had melted about a quarter size hole in the leather upholstery. This is a common and know issue to BMW. However, they have not issued a recall. Very dangerous!!!

- Boise, ID, USA

Apr 062011

X3

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X3. The contact stated the passenger side air bag light would illuminate on a consistent basis. The vehicle was then inspected by a dealer who advised her that they would replace the seat upholstery. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 66,000.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 152011

X3 6-cyl

2006 BMW X3 heater on the drivers seat malfunctioned and burned a hole in the seat and my coat.

- Poughquag, NY, USA

Jan 052010

X3

The contact owns a 2006 BMW X3. While driving approximately 45 mph the heater on the drivers seat malfunctioned and burned a hole in the seat. As a result the driver was injured. The dealer was contacted and stated that they would not cover the repair cost because the warranty expired. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Winter Park, CO, USA

Dec 302010

X3 6-cyl

06 BMW X3 3.0 driver seat heater gets extrememy hot in one spot. Hot enough to cause a burn if not turned off quickly.

- Vacaville, CA, USA