3.3

2010 BMW X5 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 BMW X5:

2010 BMW X5 Owner Comments

May 012014

X5

I'm reporting a quality escaped issue on most of BMW cars equipped with rear view camera system. I'm mild to hot days, the camera starts to flicker rapidly and shortly it blanks off intermittently. It's more noticeable on hot days but normal during cold days. This issue is also on most of BMW cars and yet to be recognized nor recalled by the manufacturer. It's unfair for a consumer to pay so much money and can't can't be reimbursed for the fix this discrepancy. I believe the cost of this problem should be covered by a BMW dealer. I fell like I've been robbed out of my wallet paying so much for all these issues popping up from time to time on scar that was not even 75K miles. This is a serious defect that could lead to crash during reverse driving or during parallel parking

- Kenner, LA, USA

Jun 062016

X5

The car loss power and shutdown with me twice while driving on the highway. (95 North)error messages "electrical system malfunction continue driving is not possible. Have the system checked by the nearest BMW center", "transmission malfunction"," restraint system malfunction", "fault in passenger-restraint system" the second time that happened to me, I had the car towed by aaa at 5am after work. The car parking brake was luck, so aaa had to drag the into the flat bed, this is a serious issue BMW makes a lot of money therefore should be held accountable and fix the issue before someone get kill. The cause is water getting into the trunk and socking all the electrical wires in the truck of the car causing everything to go crazy. BMW is aware of the issue. I saw a few class action case against BMW for the issues I have here.

- Pawtucket, RI, USA

Jan 012016

X5

While driving the vehicle on city streets I lost power steering and had to bring the vehicle to a stop. I was unable to steer the car and discovered the serpentine belt had come off. BMW had already done a recall for this and I did upon dealer inspection discover the same bolt sheared causing the problem. The original recall notice was 12V550. I'm being charged 700 hundred dollars now to have the vehicle fixed.

- Venice, CA, USA

Jul 152015

X5

Ok, so I own my 2010 BMW X5 35D and pretty much since the ownership I found that back up camera I have is working pretty strange: With worm weather outside it shows fuzzy, static, jumping picture. The warmer is outside the more fuzzier it is. So, I took it to the dealer and they found that cable coming from camera to head unit is getting bad from rubbing from chassis! I went online and found tons of complains like that - in 2-3 years old car and up all over the place - bad cable. It turned out that location for it is very bad and it always rub on part of chassis. Definitely bad design issue. Further more, to fix it I was quoted $1200, no more no less, something that is badly designed should be fixed for free! this is definitely safety concern as main idea for that camera - safety, but having it faulty after few years doesn't follow it main goal. Please investigate this and recall for the cable should be good solution.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 212015

X5

I had this problem with my 2010 BMW X5 35D breakdown. It said the charging malfunction on the screen. Power steering was lost. Wheel steer was hard to maneuver. Hard to move. I almost got in an accident. The battery died. Everything just not function bc of lost in power steering. When I towed my car to BMW manhattan, the service advisor told me there was no recall for my BMW X5 35 D. she told me the dealer would charge me about $900 to replace pulley belt bolt and battery and etc. I told her it's one of recall. After that the service advisor told me that she will call me back on that which she never did, my car was still at BMW manhattan. It's been a week in the dealer. I'm still waiting to know what happen.

- New Yirk, NY, USA

Mar 022015

X5 6-cyl

After changing the battery, the vehicle has no operating dash lights, gauge indications, turn signals, or bright lights. Additionally, the windshield wiper continuously swipes, but has no ability to spray washer fluid or change the speed of the swipe. These conditions render it difficult to drive and see through the windshield, especially at night, and prevents the operator from monitoring the vehicle, identifying ones speed, or signaling a turn. Moreover, the continuous windshield wiper action impairs one's ability to see and is also distracting; making it dangerous to drive the vehicle.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jan 162014

X5

The contact owns a 2010 BMW X5. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- West Hills, CA, USA

Jan 092013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

Ignition failed to restart engine due to battery drain. In one instance, battery discharged despite car having been driven for >1hr and then stopped for less than 15 minutes before failure to restart. Two other occasions were failure to start on the morning after vehicle last driven. Average outside air temps 5-30 degrees F. vehicle had less than 25K miles at first occurrence and less than 34K at two most recent occurrences. Battery this new should not have issues holding a charge. Suspect diesel fuel filter heater failure to shut off, resulting in battery drain (see NHTSA campaign number: 13V339000). 3 occurrences to date, all were during cold temperatures when ffh would have been activated. Jan 2013, January 3, 2014 and February 17, 2014. Additional electrical system failures noted as a result of battery drain issues include multiple warning indicators (passenger airbag, diesel exhaust fluid indicator warning, brake pad warning, among others).

- Larchmont, NY, USA

Aug 232013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

My BMW 2010 X5 diesel caught on fire in the center console area after only a few minutes after driving car. The source of the fire seemed to originate under the center console cargo area as a hole about the size of the quarter was burned up though the bottom of the cargo area. The initial indicator of the problem included smoke coming through vents. Additional problems occurred when attempting to stop the car as it was difficult to put it in park while it was on fire. When exiting the vehicle flames were coming out of the cargo area. The car was very good shape otherwise with no problems and the car has been in for service in the beginning of the year. The car is currently still under warranty.

- Washington , DC, USA

Feb 192013

X5 6-cyl Diesel

I was driving my X5, 90 minutes from home, when I noticed my steering was unusually stiff. It was 5 degrees outside, so I assumed it might have been too cold. I was able to move over to the right lane, and turn onto the nearest side street. At that point I got a code saying "battery discharge". I assumed it had something to do with the keyless ignition, so I shut it off and tried to turn it back on. It didn't work, and it gave me the same warning again. In addition, the onboard system was giving messages of each of the systems that was shutting down, ultimately, with everything shutting off, including the emergency lights. I had to have the car towed. After the dealership looked at the car the next day, they told me this was part of a recall for the idler pulley bolt. I looked this up, and discovered the letter dated Nov. 26th describing this recall from BMW to NHTSA. We started the purchasing process of this vehicle on Nov. 26th, ultimately purchasing it on Nov. 30th. The carfax did not show this recall repair when we purchased it. My dealership is claiming they repaired it that week, before we picked it up, (again, no mention of a repair). My concern is this: If it was repaired in November, this repair failed. If they ignored this recall and sold me the car, that would be negligent. Furthermore, we had the car into the dealership in January 2013 for a tire issue. If they had not done the repair in November, certainly they were responsible to repair it then. Obviously they didn't. now, the car completely fails, and is in the shop. This repair took 3 days! I am unsure of the safely, as well as this failure being just a pulley bolt. I am aware of the most recent recall of Feb.19th, for electrical problems, but at this time, doesn't include the X5? the pulley bolt problem doesn't seem to fully describe the loss of steering and power I experienced.

- Twin Lakes, WI, USA

May 012012

X5 6-cyl Diesel

After engine start, message displays on control display indicating increased battery drain and that the vehicle should be serviced soon. Display shows vehicle on what appears to be a lift. Contacted BMW at St. Albans who recommended that I purchase a battery charger so that I may charge the vehicle at night! problem has reappeared several times with no specific causal factor (leaving the ignition on after engine stop, leaving doors open, etc.)

- Ona, WV, USA

Sep 152011

X5

Vehicle reports high battery drain message and sos malfunction error messages. BMW not able to correct.

- Hillsborough, NJ, USA

Feb 102010

X5

My brand new 2010 BMW X5 35D has stalled multiple times, in major intersections completely out of the blue. The vehicle flashes "engine malfunction" and "reduced power." There is no way to cure this issue, and it only self-corrects after a matter of many minutes. When throttle is applied, during such an incident, the vehicle bucks wildly, between stalling and starting. There are many other BMW X5 owners having this issue. No fault codes are registering on the computer and the vehicle self-corrects after starting and stopping the engine multiple times via the push-bottom stop button. Once this took 3-hours to rectify, while I was stuck on the side of a busy highway. This has also happened at times in which I'm making left-hand turns in busy intersections, narrowly avoiding a high-speed impact. My vehicle has only 4,000 miles on it. My dealer has been unreceptive to the issue. I contacted BMW North America's customer service twice and they took a report but never contacted me back. I've left messages with the customer service department at BMW North America and still no resolve. This is a very dangerous situation. I have no idea as to when the vehicle will stall or malfunction. I feel I can handle an emergency, or at least lessen a potential impact in a worst case scenario, but I do not feel the same about my wife. The car looses all brake and steering pressure, and I feel very unsafe driving my family in this vehicle. Multiple other owners have sold their vehicles as a result, but those vehicles are going to end up in the hands of owners who will experience the same issues. It's only a matter of time before someone experiences this issue, in an intersection, and is killed by oncoming traffic. Please assist us in obtaining relief to this known issue. You can visit this forum, which is one of dozens, that complains about the issue in question. www.xoutpost.com/BMW-sav-forums/X5-E70-forum/68822-engine-warning-battery-failure-same-time.html.

- Oakland, CA, USA