2011 Buick Enclave steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Buick Enclave:

2011 Buick Enclave Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 052016

Enclave

Power steering and rack is leaking. I see that there are hundreds of complaints on this issue. Estimate for repair is $1400. The steering is very hard and very unsafe. There are 3 kids under 10 in this family. GM is putting them at risk.

- Orinda, CA, USA

Aug 232016

Enclave

Squealing noise in steering system, when put pressure on the steering wheel it begins to vibrate, there are minute metal shavings in the steering fluid, local fm dealer says this is not part of their recall

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Aug 152016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Enclave. While driving 3 mph, the power steering failed. The contact stated that the steering wheel required additional effort to turn. The vehicle was taken to be diagnosed and the contact was informed that there was a hydraulic leak in the gear housing of the power steering. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,583.

- Talladega, AL, USA

Aug 032016

Enclave

Power steering rack and pinion seals are leaking at 75000 miles as noted at GM dealer during routine service this is a safety issue that GM needs to address through a recall

- Big Lake, MN, USA

Aug 022016

Enclave

Noticed a whining noise in my steering wheel when turning. Called the dealership and was told this was "normal". not being satisfied with this took it in and insisted they check it. I was then told the rack and pinion is failing and needs to be replaced. The cost would be $2000. I bought this car new and it only has 41,000 miles on it. I feel that this should be paid by GM since this is a common complaint and very dangerous and could result in an accident. I will no longer buy anything built by GM if this is how they treat their customers. I paid $53,000 and I thought I would have this car for a few more years. I guess not.

- Hollister, CA, USA

Jun 132016

Enclave

Went to my dealer for noisy steering and was informed the steering rack was leaking after 34,000 miles. Was told repair would be $1700. After reading forums online found out this could cause me to loose my power steering. I believe this should be a recall.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Apr 282016

Enclave

My 2011 Buick Enclave "power steering rack" was found leaking fluid during a routine oil change at my dealership, burns GMC, Buick dealer in marlton, N.J.. my 2011 Buick Enclave only has 57000 miles on it. It cost me $1200 to get repaired. There is a "class action law suit" filed against GM for this same problem. GM should recall these vehicles listed in the law suit and repair them free of charge. This is a very dangerous situation for someone to loose the steering of their vehicle while driving one of these vehicles.

- Blackwood, NJ, USA

Mar 152016

Enclave

Over time our 2011 Buick Enclave experienced a whining noise at idle and lower speeds, particularly when turning. Dealership indicated that this was due to a leaking/defective power steering pump and potentially the entire steering column may need to be replaced. This vehicle is approximately 3 years old and approximately 50K miles - disappointed to discover that this issue is not currently covered under warranty/recalls. I would not expect to encounter an issue of this magnitude with a car at this point in the life cycle - this is a potential safety concern if this issue progresses to a situating where the steering totally fails.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 132016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Enclave. While driving 10 mph and making a right turn, the steering seized without warning. When the vehicle was turned off and restarted, it operated normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the power steering pump and rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 56,664.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jan 282016

Enclave

I took my 2011 Buick Enclave with 27,000 miles into my local Buick dealer for routine maintenance. The service manager called and advised that the steering rack was leaking and that the estimated repair cost is $1780. I chose not to have the repair done at that time, but now see that many Enclave owners have experienced power steering failures due to this defect. Some of these failures occurred in traffic and could have resulted in accidents. Now that I am aware of this I will take the car to be repaired immediately. Because there have been so many failures with potentially serious consequences, this should be investigated by NHTSA for a possible recall. I suspect that this would also affect GMC acadia and Chevy traverse models.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Jan 092016

Enclave

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, an abnormal sound emitted from the front of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering gear failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,129.

- Maringo, IL, USA

Dec 172015

Enclave

On three separate occasions in the past month my car lost power while I was driving. Fortunately, I was on city streets when this occurred and I was able to coast to the side of the road and restart the engine. I brought my car in to my Buick dealer after the 2nd occurrence and they could find nothing wrong with it. When it happened again last week I noticed that right before I lost power the small wallet that is part of my key chain had fallen from the top of the steering wheel (where I keep it so it doesn't hit my leg). Thinking it may have jerked the ignition slightly and that may have been part of the power issue, I googled "Buick Enclave ignition issues" when I returned home. Immediately all of the GM ignition problems of the past few years came up; including the frightening news that my car had the exact same ignition as the recalled cars but that GM believed something about the design of the Enclave (and other SUVS in its class) meant that the ignition was not a problem. I am here to tell you that it is, indeed, a problem. I brought my car back to the dealer on Monday and they again can "find nothing wrong with it." I have contacted GM and let them know I will not accept this vehicle until the ignition is replaced. No one should be driving this car. I shudder to think about the consequences if I had been driving my usual carpool of 5 12-year-old boys. Indeed, twice when I lost power I was in the car with my child. I am convinced this is a major problem and that everyone who owns one of these cars must be alerted to the possibiltiy of power loss.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012015

Enclave

The power steering fluid is leaking after hearing loud grinding noise and difficult to steer while driving. GM said they didn't see a problem and not part of the "special coverage" that involves a steering pump. Apparently, you need to almost crash your car before that is replaced. I received a quote to repair and it's at least $800. The car has 67K miles and is 5 years old - only owner.

- Setuaket, NY, USA

Nov 142015

Enclave

Recently had to replace my power steering gear due to leaking seals that caused failure. Also power steering pump had to be replaced. Power steering pump is covered under special GM warranty (14329 ¿loss of power steering assist¿), but not power steering gear. In doing research, it seems many consumers have experienced a similar issue, but GM has not issued a recall for the power steering gear.

- Garland, TX, USA

Oct 092015

Enclave

Vehicle made noise when turning the wheel. The dealer said the steering gear was leaking and as a result the low fluid resulted in power steering pump failure. I have read multiple reports online from customers stating that they had the exact same issues. This is clearly a manufacturing defect that GM should be held accountable to correct. The vehicle has just over 52K miles and I have owned it since it was brand new. Repair quote from a local dealership was $1100 for the steering gear, $360 for the pump, and $1000 for labor. These repairs are not covered under warranty despite the special extended warranty GM issued for power steering pump failure.

- Aiea, HI, USA

Apr 152015

Enclave 6-cyl

We own a 2011 Buick Enclave with 84240 miles. After a routine oil change were shocked to find out from the dealer that there is now a leaking steering rack and steering pump that will need to be replaced neither of which are covered by GM. The cost is over $2300. This is my wife's car and is used daily to Transport not only our own but other children as well. We have no choice but to remediate the problem. After doing very little research it is obvious that this is a known defect and that GM is choosing to ignore the risk to those driving their vehicles. This is actually our second Enclave and until know we have enjoyed their reliability and the service we have received. Based on this experience it will be the last GM car we buy. We will be seeking reimbursement from GM.

- Avon, CT, USA

Jan 192015

Enclave 6-cyl

Letter from constituent regarding a problem with her 2011 Buick Enclave; she is requesting an expeditious recall or special coverage/full reimbursement expense for the power steering rack replacement repair. The consumer stated while driving, the steering wheel felt loose and the vehicle felt unsteady. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop. A diagnosis revealed the power steering rack was leaking.

- Owings Mills, MD, USA

Jan 092015

Enclave

December 2014 lift gate was up and suddenly came down and hit my wife with great force. This happened twice but not consistently. Subsequently was taken to a Chevrolet/GM dealership, found both struts not holding pressure and were replaced at owner's expense. On the morning of January 9,2015 driving during a snow storm on an interstate suddenly vehicle lost stabiltrab, traction control and engine power was reduced to 15 mph. Due to the weather traffic was going slower than normal. Car driven to a Chevrolet/GM dealer where the throttle body was replaced at owner's expense. On January 14, 2015 owner brought car to have power steering pump replaced due to GM September 2014 notice and owner informed that power steering rack was leaking. Although not replacing the power steering rack would lead to failure of the new power steering pump, this component was not covered. Owner paid a portion to have the rack replace. This repair required a front end alignment for which the owner paid for.

- Manchester, NH, USA

Sep 242014

Enclave 6-cyl

While car under warranty steering wheel made grinding sounds...I had begun to believe I had an anti-freeze leak as I also smelled an odor like one. Took car to dealer and he fixed steering housing and smell and grinding went away..however, now with car out of warranty, same symptoms with steering wheel grinding loudly what am I to do? after reading other complaints, I think there is proof of a problem which should be a recall issue and Buick should take note.

- Gaffney, SC, USA

May 302013

Enclave

The contact owns a 2011 Buick Enclave. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the steering wheel started to make a squeaky noise. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering gear failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 62,000. Updated 08/19/14

- Somerset, KY, USA