2007 Chevrolet Avalanche engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments

Aug 162016

The vehicle, from the time it was new, had usually consumed about 0.5 quarts of oil each oil change, which I would consider normal. This condition began to worsen at approximately 60,000 miles to about 1.0 quarts per oil change. This condition continued to worsen, and at approximately 85,000 miles began to consume 1 quart of oil each 1,500 miles in city driving, and closer to 1,000 miles with significant highway driving. I contacted the dealership regarding this issue, and they replied that this amount of oil consumption would be considered normal. Between 85,000 and 135,000 miles I have replaced spark plugs twice. In each instance the plugs were fouled and wet with oil. The ignition coils were replaced on multiple cylinders at the time of the first spark plug change. As compared to the owners manual, the spark plugs should only require service every 100,000 miles. I have since contacted the dealership regarding this issue, and they continue to reply that the amount of oil consumption I experience is normal. I have owned more than 10 vehicles over the course of +30 years and never had an engine consume oil at this rate. This amount of use is neither normal nor good for the environment.

- Washington Township, MI, USA

Aug 232016

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. When the vehicle was started, there was an abnormal sound coming from the engine compartment. The contact stated that the exhaust manifold bolt heads fractured and caused an exhaust leak. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 81,108.

- Little Falls, NY, USA

Aug 042015

I bought this truck new and at about 30000 miles it starts to burn oil.about a quart between oil changes.took to dealer and they replaced lifters.there was no difference.then did oil consumption test where it got to the point of burning 1quart of oil every 800 miles.took back in then was told extended warranty will not cover and it is normal wear.truck at that time only had 73000 miles on it(Aug.2015).they told me it could be$3600 to repair this issue.I than told them not to touch it and still dealing with issue at 78000 miles.

- West Seneca, NY, USA

Jul 082015

Vehicle used way too much oil. Oil consumption was extreme. Began to hear a ticking sound, while driving on expressway the lite up like a christmas tree. And smoke began to billow out the exhaust. Took it to dealer said I needed a new engine. Reading posts on line everyone is complaining of same issue. This should be remedied by manufacturer. Now car is sitting waiting to get an engine

- Browns Mills, NJ, USA

Feb 032016

It started with a ticking noise and when I took it for service they said that it was my lifters and to replace them it would cost 5-6 thousand, and that I might as well replace the engine. I later find out that this is common with all the 07 but the manufactory want recall or assist with replacement cost.

- Livingston, TX, USA

Aug 282014

There have been continual problems with the engine of my truck and I have found out since buying it there are severe problems with a lot of the engines of the 2007 Avalanche. The mechanic told me when we brought the truck in to find out why the engine had a hesitation in it, that we should hope it was the exhaust system seals needing to be replaced that caused the hesitation because the only other times he had seen this problem it was a manufacturing defect in the 2007 GMC engines that he had seen these problems with alot of the 2007 Chevy and GMC trucks including his own. We also about 2 months after buying the truck noticed that the truck was going through oil very quickly but the mechanic said that the seals weren't leaking so didn't know why we were burning oil so fast. The dash has cracked at the corner of the air bag and if there is an accident it could send shards flying. The drivers door sticks and the stability control go's in and out of working order. The electric mirrors stopped folding in and tilting down and tried to have it fixed but Chevrolet said they wouldn't give the mechanic the code to get into the computer system to fix it and the back up sensor that had stopped working also. We now have to go to a Chevrolet dealership to have it fixed. There have been so many problems with these trucks that Chevrolet hasn't fixed these trucks even used usually cost at least $15000 brand new you could double or triple that price I don't think it's a lot to ask to have a decent engine the other problems I could deal with but the engine problem they should fix

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Dec 012013

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500. While driving approximately 40 mph, the check engine and low oil warning indicators illuminated. The contact observed that the oil was extremely low and the oil was topped off 1,500 miles prior. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, where it was diagnosed that the engine failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 60,000.

- Cape Girardeau, MO, USA

Aug 262014

The engine has a hesitation due to a manufacuring problem it also uses more oil than it should between oil changes. Also having problem with the electrical system every time I turn around something stops working like the side mirror on the drivers side won't fold in like its supposed to and the backup sensor stopped working. Tried to get our mechanic to fix it but it needs a code to get into the electrical system and GM won't give it to anyone but thier own mechanics. So now we have to go to the dealership to have it fix which will cost alot more. About amonth after purchase the dash got a small crack around the passenger air bag. This is our second 2007 Avalanche the first one had no problems at all and I had no idea that this model had so many problems that the manufacturer won't fix. With as much as these trucks cost even used the should have to repair things that are manufacturer defects

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Feb 242015

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. While driving at various speeds, the engine stalled and fuel fumes emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Morrow , GA, USA

Jan 282015

Total engine loss at highway speed, Chevrolet want to replace the engine, but as I read all these complaint about engine and oil and afm. I believe they should be held accountable for selling lemons. The NHTSA must put a end to manufacturers selling trash.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jul 222009

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

My main concern is the fact that the vehicle burns excessive amounts of oil. I have lodged about five complaints with ourisman rockmont Chevrolet and my concerns remained unadressed. They did, on one occasion, change a gasket cover and oil pan gasket, but the problem persisted. Finally, I was recently told that I needed an oil deflector per a service bulletin and was told it would cost nearly $1,500. Although my concerns were all made during the warranty period, ourisman is attempting to charge me now that my vehicle is outside the warranty. I contacted Chevy customer service but no luck.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Mar 022009

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that the check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle suddenly would not accelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the number 7 coil pack was defective. The mechanic replaced the number 7 coil pack and the number 7 spark plug to correct the defect. Additionally, the front passenger's side interior door handle would cause lacerations to the contact's hand when attempting to exit the vehicle. The contact also indicated that the dashboard was cracked and there were concerns of the air bags being compromised. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Florissant, MO, USA

Feb 042014

This vehicle has had oil consumption problems since purchased. It runs out of oil 1500 miles after an oil change. Several consumer complaints have proved this is a very common problem and suggested reporting it to the epa. My truck now needs a new engine because of this common defect with the afm and bad lifters in the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. It is completely abnormal for an engine to burn this much oil into the environment. Not to mention the consumers who are now being forced to replace engines due to this problem. It needs to be fixed.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

May 152013

Avalanche 8-cyl

Misfire in cylinder 1.

- Bozeman, MT, USA

Oct 232010

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, he heard a noise coming from under the hood. The vehicle was able to be driven to a private mechanic where the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The failure and current mileages were 150,000.

- Merollo, LA, USA

Jan 042011

Avalanche 8-cyl

Date of current incidents: 1/3/11; 1/4/11; 7/28/11; 8/23/11; 9/07/11; 12/9/11; 12/16/11; 6/4/12; 6/10/12 and 6/11/12 and 6/L7/12. The engine light comes on; engine reduce power light, stabilizer tract light comes on plus oil light and other lights. I have had it in the shop to try to figure out why my Avalanche keeps breaking down. And I was told that they can not find a problem. I was never informed that they have had probems with the wiring. In December 2011 my Avalanche shut itself off during a snow storm. Eventually, it started but because of reduced power it would only go between 35-45 miles per hour. I made it to a repair shop, they could not find a problem, but replaced sensors and/or relays. In June 2012 the lights came on, I could only go approx 35-40 miles per hour. Called and set up an appointment. On the way to the appointment the engine oil light came on and the car shut down. I had to call for a tow truck. I took it to a non dealer service repair shop, because they were the closest. When they looked the car over the wires were eaten. I was informed that the newer cars have a soy base in their wiring and that the rodents love to eat this product. Why are they using this soy based wiring? this is not safe. I can not have my vehicle break down leaving me stranded on the side of the road. It is getting very costly when parts are being replaced when it is the wiring that is faulty. I live in the country and I can not keep the mice out of my truck. Please look into why the car manufactures are using this product which is causing major safety and financial concerns why aren't the manufactures informing the public of this problem.

- Casey, IA, USA