7.8

$2,129.00

2. replace piston and rings (4 reports)
  3. replace the engine (4 reports)
  4. install deflector in oil pan (3 reports)
  5. replace lifters (3 reports)
  6. installed new valve cover with oil deflector (2 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 132016

Avalanche LS 5.3L V8

The third time this happened, it caused my truck to shutdown and I had to coast it into a parking lot as I was on my way to work. Ended up having it taken to Certified Auto Repair and Service here in Spokane Valley Washington and they found out that the Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad and a couple other things that were bad and had to be replaced including new spark plugs. Found out that the previous owner put in standard plugs instead of flex fuel plugs. This is ridiculous that this keeps happening.

As I can see from other people, this is an ongoing issue that Chevy should put in for a recall. Get off your lazy ass and investigate why your vehicles are becoming sh*t! I had a ford with way more issues wrong but the engine was strong. This engine is strong, but come on fix your sh*t. At my job, I have to do everything right the first time or I get fired. Why can't you do this as well Chevy?

Jun 102016

Avalanche LS 5.3L V8

This is the 2nd of 3 complaints about the excessive oil consumption issue. So now we are not even 2 weeks later and the same issues happen. Engine Oil Low Add Oil popped up on the instrument dash yet again. This time had to add 1.5 quarts of oil. Called Dishman Dodge again. Stated the same thing and to call Chevy. By this time I am irrate because I am stuck in Montana.

May 262016

Avalanche LS 5.3L V8

So, this is the first of 3 complaints about this vehicle for the same issue. 3 weeks after purchase of the vehicle, the command center screen on the instrument panel lit up stating "Engine Oil Low. Add Oil." I pulled into a parking lot where I proceeded to call the dealership, Dishman Dodge in Spokane Valley, Washington, and told them of the situation. They couldn't help me because their systems don't sync with my Chevy. So I had to call the Chevy Dealership to get any help. They told me to wait about 15-30 minutes to allow the oil to drain from the heads to the oil pan, there was no oil on the dip stick. Waited for this to happen. Had to add a full quart of oil to the truck. Fixed the issue for the time being.

May 012009

Avalanche LTZ Z71 5.8L

I bought my 2007 in late 2009 and noticed right off the excessive usage. Had it tested and no help from the dealer when I was told the engine burns oil that way. No recalls or anything. Now, I am closing this complaint to open another regarding the transmission.

- , Rowlett, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Avalanche LT 5.3Liter

I bought my 2007 Chevy Avalanche new ever since I can remember the oil would be a bit low when getting an oil change, I use only Mobile 1 full synthetic oil and change it at around 4k miles never let the oil life monitor get under 30% at around 100,000 I noticed the oil consumption increased and engine performance decreased. So I changed spark Plugs and wires and noticed the rear sparkplugs were we a bit oil soaked. I started looking into this issue and found online that other people were having this issue and it is related with Active Fuel Management system and Aggressive Lifters. I took it to the dealer and of course it was not under warranty and I didn't want to spend thousands of dollars for them to tear apart my engine and install new lifters and so forth. I asked if this was this a common issue and they said it's normal for these engines to burn oil. So I found online a device to deactivate the Active Fuel Management and now my truck doesn't burn oil it barely drops from where I fill it when doing the oil change and the MPG is almost unchanged. So this AFM system is not really something that I see necessary when driving in the city maybe when doing Freeway driving it helps with MPG. I see this as a design flaw in the way the AFM system works and the manufacturer should've had a recall on this problem.

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Apr 282016

Avalanche LT 5.3L V8

Just purchased. Had no idea. Now I am loaded at your site for making me type more!!!!!

- , Washington, MO, USA

Aug 082008

Avalanche LT 5.3L

Brought this vehicle brand new 10/07. The following year the oil light came on. Took to dealer was told it was a new truck and it burns a lot of oil. This problem continue on and off for the next few years. There was a hole in the oil pan, was fixed. Same problem started again. Finally white smoke started coming from engine. Dealer told me I didn't do regular maintenance on vehicle. After providing written proof dealer kept vehicle for 21/2 weeks. Was never told what the problem was.

A year later oil light comes on again and now the oil pressure gauge is moving all over the place. The vehicle has 140,000 miles on it and now it sits in my drive way because the engine block is cracked due to the oil leak problem. The cracked engine block was this year 2016. The reason I brought the 2007 Avalanche was because I had a 2001 Avalanche had no problems with it. So I brought another one so much for brand loyalty. There were other major problems that I have had with this vehicle.

- , chester, VA, USA

Apr 182015

Avalanche LS 5.3L V8

We definitely were a Chevy family, but after other issues, including the transmission needing to be replaced (we only had the truck for less than a year) and now this. I am no longer going to buy GM vehicles. It's very disappointing that GM would not take responsibility for repairs with a recall.

- , Glendale, AZ, USA

Oct 252008

Avalanche LX 5.3L

After 4 previous complaints on oil consumption, they finally listened when we used 4 quarts between oil changes. They found two cylinders fouled and suggested valve and ring job. I cautioned them referring to Murphys Law, regarding the other side of the engine and I wanted it noted that the vehicle was still under warranty when they chose this decision. Numerous calls to GM finally resulted in them OKing a new engine. Customers mere very satisfied. Now have 50 K on new engine, all is OK.

- , Gloucester, MA, USA

Jun 252014

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L

I change my oil and oil filter myself so that when I change it right after it has the right amount of oil in it. I use Mobil One 5w-30 synthetic and a Fram oil filter. And it doesn't fail, I have to add two quarts between oil changes, so not only a pain, but additional cost on top of the problem. I don't drive my vehicle hard or put excessive miles on it. Is there any thing that can be done? Chevy, I might start looking at Dodge when next vehicle comes around.

- , Havre de Grace, MD, USA

Jan 062014

Avalanche

Our Avalanche needs at least a quart of oil every 1000 miles. We just obviously carry oil when contacted the dealership just acts like this is completely normal for a truck. I think they should have put it in the owners manual since this is apparently the case after 75,000 miles. Maybe they should make a special place to carry oil in the back and an easier fill pipe since this obviously the plan.

- , Tuolumne, CA, USA

Aug 102015

Avalanche

Definitely burning oil! I'm not sure exactly the issue but it seems like a lot of other owners are having the same problem! I would gladly endorse any legal action taken to correct the problem with this engine!! For now i'll keep driving and keep adding...smh!

- , taunton, USA

Apr 162014

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L V8

I bought this truck in april of 2014 . I had to help move my daughter to college and when we got there the low oil/add oil came on. I checked it after I let it set for a few and there was nothing showing on the dip stick. The dealership has since done 2 oil consumption tests and each time they tell me its within specs on oil consumption meaning they are saying that 2 quarts low every 3000 miles is within specs. That's just BS to me and seems to me that they are using the within specs to get out of fixing this problem. Its October 2015 now and I've been dealing with it since I've bought it. GM called me today cause I had filed a complaint with them and the lady told me there's been no complaints brought to their attention with this issue . I laughed at her on the phone and told her to stop lying. I've read bout some of the possible fixes for this issue . I bet GM put out the literature to these fixes but just don't want to pay to fix these defects. I'll never buy another GM after this.

- , Dickson, TN, USA

Sep 012015

Avalanche LT 5.3L

I love my Avalanche. I hate GM stopped building them. However, I have read a lot and seen numerous complaints about oil consumption. My Avalanche has always used oil, no leaks or smoke. I always changed my oil between 3000-5000 miles. I do have a lot of miles on it, but she has been maintained, highway miles. I am in the process of replacing both heads and lifters due to a tap in the top of motor. Was getting p0300 code, and two cylinders were misfiring due to valve problems. In my research, I have discovered this is a problem that has been going on with these 5.3 engines, but apparently GM says nothing. As I said, I have a lot of miles on the truck, but hey I still drive a '65 Galaxie and '66 Mustang. Age doesn't matter, if the vehicle is cared for.

- , Whitesburg, GA, USA

Jul 052011

Avalanche LT 5.3L

Bought my 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 1500 brand new and fully loaded. 5 years later I start getting a low oil light add oil with still 60% oil life. Take it to dealer and they start giving me the run around the dumb associates said that I should check the oil every time I put gas, as if anyone really does that or should that specially with a new $46,000 vehicle. Called GM and they give me run around also. Keep wasting my time.

My truck is 8 years old now and I have to continuously add oil when the light goes on. I have been living like that for a few years now. Someone once told me to never buy the first year model of a new vehicle but I didn't listen.

I have really thought twice about ever buying another Chevrolet vehicle. I like my truck but hate that GM will not step up and take responsibility for the problem. All they have to do is Google Oil Consumption Issue for 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche and there are many complaints.

I am currently in the market for a new hybrid vehicle and waiting for the redesigned 2016 Chevrolet Malibu or the redesigned 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Really leaning towards the Ford Fusion because of the GM won't step up and fix my issue.

Also would like to add that I have a GM Credit card with almost $1,500 in rewards towards a new GM vehicle and I am still leaning towards the Ford Fusion.. GM step up and take care of your issues..

- , Whittier, USA

Jul 282015

Avalanche LT 5.3L

Bought truck new and has been using oil since about 30000 miles.Had a few repairs done but never fixed the problem. Now out of warranty and with 73000 miles on it extended warranty will not pay for carbon-ed up oil rings.It is now using 1 quart in 850 miles and they will only pay if there is something broken.Dealer wants $3600 plus to replace the pistons and rings. It should not be up to me to pay when Chevy knows this is a common problem and I have been having it all along. Has anyone had any luck with this issue?

- , West Seneca, NY, USA

May 292010

Avalanche Z71 5.3L

Add engine oil before oil change is due, uses too much oil

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Jun 022013

Avalanche LT 5.3L V8

I bought this vehicle with 92000. I know I figured it would last forever given if I take care of it. I did the maintenance myself, but after I did the first oil change and noticed that the oil was a little short. I thought nothing of it and just decided to keep an eye the oil level. I continued to monitor the oil level and started to having to put 1 quart every 1000 miles or so.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

May 012009

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L

Like many of the other 07 owners, I began having problems with excess oil consumption. I switched to MAXlife oil, which did not fix the problem. Soon, I began using regular 5W30 again because of the cost of the MAXlife oil without a fix. A friend of mine with the same truck told me that he was burning oil fast, too. He took his truck in, and the dealer said that there was an "internal" recall for the '07. They won't mention it unless very specifically asked about the fix for the excessive oil consumption. It's costly for them. That is why GM didn't have a massive recall.

So the problem is that the LIFTERS are too aggressive. The only fix is to replace the Lifters. This will lesson the beating that the oil takes and won't burn it off too soon. Good Luck!!!

- , Hoover, AL, USA

Jul 222009

Avalanche LS V8

While under warranty, I explained to the service technician that my vehicle burns excessive oil. My vehicle was "checked" and I was told that no problems were found.

- , Gaithersburg, MD, USA