7.7

$2,261.00

2. replace piston and rings (4 reports)
  3. install deflector in oil pan (3 reports)
  4. replace lifters (3 reports)
  5. replace the engine (3 reports)
  6. installed new valve cover with oil deflector (2 reports)
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2007 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 252008

Avalanche LX 5.3L

After 4 previous complaints on oil consumption, they finally listened when we used 4 quarts between oil changes. They found two cylinders fouled and suggested valve and ring job. I cautioned them referring to Murphys Law, regarding the other side of the engine and I wanted it noted that the vehicle was still under warranty when they chose this decision. Numerous calls to GM finally resulted in them OKing a new engine. Customers mere very satisfied. Now have 50 K on new engine, all is OK.

- , Gloucester, MA, USA

Jun 252014

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L

I change my oil and oil filter myself so that when I change it right after it has the right amount of oil in it. I use Mobil One 5w-30 synthetic and a Fram oil filter. And it doesn't fail, I have to add two quarts between oil changes, so not only a pain, but additional cost on top of the problem. I don't drive my vehicle hard or put excessive miles on it. Is there any thing that can be done? Chevy, I might start looking at Dodge when next vehicle comes around.

- , Havre de Grace, MD, USA

Jan 062014

Avalanche

Our Avalanche needs at least a quart of oil every 1000 miles. We just obviously carry oil when contacted the dealership just acts like this is completely normal for a truck. I think they should have put it in the owners manual since this is apparently the case after 75,000 miles. Maybe they should make a special place to carry oil in the back and an easier fill pipe since this obviously the plan.

- , Tuolumne, CA, USA

Aug 102015

Avalanche

Definitely burning oil! I'm not sure exactly the issue but it seems like a lot of other owners are having the same problem! I would gladly endorse any legal action taken to correct the problem with this engine!! For now i'll keep driving and keep adding...smh!

- , taunton, USA

Apr 162014

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L V8

I bought this truck in april of 2014 . I had to help move my daughter to college and when we got there the low oil/add oil came on. I checked it after I let it set for a few and there was nothing showing on the dip stick. The dealership has since done 2 oil consumption tests and each time they tell me its within specs on oil consumption meaning they are saying that 2 quarts low every 3000 miles is within specs. That's just BS to me and seems to me that they are using the within specs to get out of fixing this problem. Its October 2015 now and I've been dealing with it since I've bought it. GM called me today cause I had filed a complaint with them and the lady told me there's been no complaints brought to their attention with this issue . I laughed at her on the phone and told her to stop lying. I've read bout some of the possible fixes for this issue . I bet GM put out the literature to these fixes but just don't want to pay to fix these defects. I'll never buy another GM after this.

- , Dickson, TN, USA

Sep 012015

Avalanche LT 5.3L

I love my Avalanche. I hate GM stopped building them. However, I have read a lot and seen numerous complaints about oil consumption. My Avalanche has always used oil, no leaks or smoke. I always changed my oil between 3000-5000 miles. I do have a lot of miles on it, but she has been maintained, highway miles. I am in the process of replacing both heads and lifters due to a tap in the top of motor. Was getting p0300 code, and two cylinders were misfiring due to valve problems. In my research, I have discovered this is a problem that has been going on with these 5.3 engines, but apparently GM says nothing. As I said, I have a lot of miles on the truck, but hey I still drive a '65 Galaxie and '66 Mustang. Age doesn't matter, if the vehicle is cared for.

- , Whitesburg, GA, USA

Jul 052011

Avalanche LT 5.3L

Bought my 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LT 1500 brand new and fully loaded. 5 years later I start getting a low oil light add oil with still 60% oil life. Take it to dealer and they start giving me the run around the dumb associates said that I should check the oil every time I put gas, as if anyone really does that or should that specially with a new $46,000 vehicle. Called GM and they give me run around also. Keep wasting my time.

My truck is 8 years old now and I have to continuously add oil when the light goes on. I have been living like that for a few years now. Someone once told me to never buy the first year model of a new vehicle but I didn't listen.

I have really thought twice about ever buying another Chevrolet vehicle. I like my truck but hate that GM will not step up and take responsibility for the problem. All they have to do is Google Oil Consumption Issue for 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche and there are many complaints.

I am currently in the market for a new hybrid vehicle and waiting for the redesigned 2016 Chevrolet Malibu or the redesigned 2017 Ford Fusion Hybrid. Really leaning towards the Ford Fusion because of the GM won't step up and fix my issue.

Also would like to add that I have a GM Credit card with almost $1,500 in rewards towards a new GM vehicle and I am still leaning towards the Ford Fusion.. GM step up and take care of your issues..

- , Whittier, USA

Jul 282015

Avalanche LT 5.3L

Bought truck new and has been using oil since about 30000 miles.Had a few repairs done but never fixed the problem. Now out of warranty and with 73000 miles on it extended warranty will not pay for carbon-ed up oil rings.It is now using 1 quart in 850 miles and they will only pay if there is something broken.Dealer wants $3600 plus to replace the pistons and rings. It should not be up to me to pay when Chevy knows this is a common problem and I have been having it all along. Has anyone had any luck with this issue?

- , West Seneca, NY, USA

May 292010

Avalanche Z71 5.3L

Add engine oil before oil change is due, uses too much oil

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Jun 022013

Avalanche LT 5.3L V8

I bought this vehicle with 92000. I know I figured it would last forever given if I take care of it. I did the maintenance myself, but after I did the first oil change and noticed that the oil was a little short. I thought nothing of it and just decided to keep an eye the oil level. I continued to monitor the oil level and started to having to put 1 quart every 1000 miles or so.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

May 012009

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L

Like many of the other 07 owners, I began having problems with excess oil consumption. I switched to MAXlife oil, which did not fix the problem. Soon, I began using regular 5W30 again because of the cost of the MAXlife oil without a fix. A friend of mine with the same truck told me that he was burning oil fast, too. He took his truck in, and the dealer said that there was an "internal" recall for the '07. They won't mention it unless very specifically asked about the fix for the excessive oil consumption. It's costly for them. That is why GM didn't have a massive recall.

So the problem is that the LIFTERS are too aggressive. The only fix is to replace the Lifters. This will lesson the beating that the oil takes and won't burn it off too soon. Good Luck!!!

- , Hoover, AL, USA

Jul 222009

Avalanche LS V8

While under warranty, I explained to the service technician that my vehicle burns excessive oil. My vehicle was "checked" and I was told that no problems were found.

Feb 012012

Avalanche LS V8

Problem was supposed to be fixed, but the problem persisted.

Sep 262014

Avalanche LS V8

Finally that I am out of warranty, a problem is found and the fix is nearly $1500.00. I had to pay $200.00 for the diagnostic.

Dec 192012

Avalanche LS V8

extremely frustrating. I continue to be turned away.

Jun 192014

Avalanche LT 53 Fuel Injected

We bought our son a 2007 Chevy Avalanche at Mike Smith Buick GMC for graduation. We figured it would be a good vehicle for him to use and to get him back and forth to college. Within a month after buying the vehicle the low oil light went on. We did add oil but then the valves started taping when it was first started up a loud ticking noise came from the engine and the check engine light came on. We then took it in to the dealer...so far we have had it into the dealer several times..letting them know it goes through over a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The dealer has had us bring it in every 1,000 miles to verify this, which we have done done four times. We feel we are getting the run around and they are telling us that they will get back to us but they do not. When we call them the dealer told us that the used car department is giving them a hard time about the situation.

Please advise us what we should do to resolve this problem asap.

Thanks

- , Akron, NY, USA

May 242014

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L

Chevrolet has been my car of choice for 50+ years, not any more this oil problem is unacceptable. I just bought this Avalanche 2007 in may I have wanted one since 1999 ,now I have a lemon does anyone want to buy some lemonade? this is only the beginning of this saga. Should I paint it yellow and take it to the dealer I bought this from (the largest auto dealer in the country) and drive it around Columbus, Oh

- , Lucasville, OH, USA

Oct 142009

Avalanche Z71 5.3L

I first noticed the oil consumption problem at around 40,000 miles. 1 quart between oil changes, not too bad. Talked to Dealer service guy who said "average". My reply back was that I have had vehicles with over 200,000 miles that never used oil. As time wore on, the problem got worse. By October of 2009, I was going through 4 quarts between oil changes.

At 68,000 miles, I took it to the dealer and complained again. At that time, they changed the valve cover as the problem was thought to have been the PCV valve/cover design. Didn't help. So at 74,000 miles, I started the "Oil Concumption Study". As you can see by my mileage, I put a lot of miles on my vehicles. I change the oil when the "Change Oil Light" comes on. Which for me is about every 7000 miles. (Mainly highway driving). So from Jan 2010 till the end of March 2010, I did the "study". When it was all said and done, my consumption was "within spec". That meaning, according to Service Document #PIP4574F (you can get this from your service guy, but you have to push the issue) as long as you are not using more than 1 quart of oil every 2000 miles, it is within spec. Are you kidding me!?!?!?

So if you burn more than 1 quart every 2000 miles, they may fix it. but they try all kinds of dumb stuff first instead of addressing the real issue. I have a nephew who is a GM mechanic at a GM dealership. The real problem is the "Active Fuel Management" feature as mentioned on another post. The oil control rings get stuck because of buildup on the pistons and rings. The real fix is to basically rebuild the engine with new oil control rings, but, the problem will only come back again because also as mentioned in another post, GM will not turn the feature off. They have yet to get a fix for this issue. In the service bulletin, they acknowledge that "the root cause of the stuck rings is still under investigation, this may not be a permanent repair."

So here it is, May of 2014, I burn 1 quart of oil every 800 miles, and get a big puff of blue smoke when I start the truck every morning. Just hit 174,000 miles.

GMC - Government Motors Corporation. Now we know why they had to bail them out.

No more GM products for me.

- , Townsend, DE, USA

Jul 302013

Avalanche LTZ Lc9 5.3L

I have owned my 2007 Avalanche LTZ since 2008, I bought it used with only 30K miles. Not one day has gone bye that I have noticed significant Oil Consumption issues on this Truck. I finally called GM in 2009 and they asked to have an oil consumption test done but the dealer already told me that this truck was notorious for this issue. I wasted hundreds of dollars adding oil in between oil changes and hundreds more on oil changes.

Finally in 2013 I was driving down the Highway and my warning came on to "service stibilitytrac" and my engine light was flashing which indicated a misfire. I immediately pulled over and called Al Sierra Chevy Dealer service department and they said it was OK to drive in. I turned the truck back on and it was shaking hard, but drove it over to the dealership. They said it would cost me $100 to do a diagnostic test and they would get back to me later that day.

Al Sierra called me later that day and told me I sheared a lobe in my camshaft and have metal shavings in my engine. They told me I had to pay $3700 for a new camshaft or $6700 for a new motor. I called my dad who told me it was virtually impossible to "shear" a lobe in the camshaft and I needed a second opinion.

I also called GM after reading about all the issues I have had about oil consumption on the 2007 Avalanche. The rep was very nice, took all my information and promised a call back in 24 hours. Indeed I did get a call, they did investigate and came to the conclusion that it was not covered under GM and they offered me a $1000.00 Good Customer discount towards a new car or GM truck. After talking with them, GM rep said that year should have been recalled because of this issue.

I took the truck and had a second opinion and behold, I have so much carbon baked on my engine I was not getting oil to the lower part of my engine, and I was told had two lifters that were sticking in the down position causing 2 dead cylinders. Why? Because the over-spray of the oil was being sucked in by the seals and caking on my engine. There is where all that freaking oil was going!!!!!!! I was running out of oil or low every 1000k or 1300k miles after oil changes. Never was my truck leaking or showed on the outside any oil. Now I have to replaced my engine with a brand new GM LC9 5.3 but I will ALWAYS have the same issues burning thru oil.

I am on the phone.... again with GM, but not hopeful they will reimburse me.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 132010

Avalanche LTZ 5.3L V8

I have had excessive oil use since 12/13/10, using 2 quarts every 2300 miles. I took my vehicle today to the deal to schedule an appointment, stating my problem and the service writer stated that 1 quart to every 1000 miles is considered acceptable, my eyes just rolled.Set up service visit next week . When I got home I contacted GM to notify them of my problem and to get a file reference number, since my warranty is to expire 5/20/2012. By doing this if the problem is not resolved by the time the warranty period is up, GM still has to honor the warranty claim.

One of the questions I asked the GM claims,ARE THERE ANY BULLETINS ON THE EXCESSIVE OIL USAGE ON 2007 5.3 MOTORS, OR HAVE THEIR BEEN SIMILAR COMPLAINTS, HER REPLY WAS, NOT AWARE ANY ANY ISSUES. CLAIMS STATED THEY WILL FOLLOW UP WITH A CALL AFTER MY VISIT WITH THE LOCAL CHEVY DEALER NEXT WEEK.After reading the complaints looks like this is going to be a strung out ordeal.

Keep you updated on next weeks visit and G reply

- , Clarksburg, MD, USA