2008 Chevrolet Avalanche body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche:

2008 Chevrolet Avalanche Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 132015

Avalanche

The dash is cracking in several location which could be cause injury if the air bags were deployed. I have had one dash replaced already with the same issues in the same location again. Now since not under any warranty vert expensive to replace. I read this had been a problem with miltiable year and models with this same dash.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 032016

Avalanche

Car was sitting in parking lot all day while I was at work. It was approximately 92 degrees out that day, and the vehicle was parked in an area that had shade for a good portion of the day as I try not to leave it out in the direct sun for too long due to the exterior plastic fading problem that occurs with these vehicles, mine included. When I returned to my car from work, there was a large (approx. 2-3 inch) crack in my dashboard. The crack is by the steering wheel area. It runs from the front of the section piece, toward the steering wheel and ends roughly where the dashboard raises up for the steering wheel area. I have now seen many complaints about this concern online and am hopeful that the manufacturer will do something about this problem as the integrity of the dashboard is now compromised and could present a safety hazard in the event of an accident. It also is now exposing any wiring and mechanisms under the dashboard to dirt and dust and could therefore result in electrical problems in the near future.

- Hastings, MI, USA

Jul 212016

Avalanche

I own a 2008 Chevy Avalanche that has the dashboard cracking by the airbag and above the dashboard cluster which is going to resul in someone getting seriously injured or even lost of a life (deaf). While driving on a rough road a section of the dash broke from being cracked striking me in my face next to my left eye. If not have reacted in urgent moment the dashboard piece that broke from the dash would have struck me in the eye and could have caused me to loose my eye. I contacted GM coporate office about the problem and was told not there problem. U guys really need to recall this defect urgent as possible because the next owner with a cracked dashboard might not be as lucky as I where may loose there eye or even there life. It's a shame that GM don't care N it seems after looking at all the complaints that's been received here NHTSA doesn't care if someone get seriously injured or lost of life either. So much for our government.

- Magee, MS, USA

Jul 262016

Avalanche

Cracked dashboard in multiple places.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Mar 012015

Avalanche

The dash is cracked above the instrument cluster and at the passengers side airbag and could cause injury if airbag is deployed and dash breaks apart. This has happened since I purchased the vehicle and I keep it in the garage when not at work and use a dash / windshield screen a lot of the time.

- Birchwood, TN, USA

Apr 082016

Avalanche

The chrome on the passenger side front door handle has begun to peel and is very sharp. A passenger cut their hand on the handle last week. I have since had to cut a portion of the chrome off and apply tape over the handle to prevent this from happening again.

- Ellis, KS, USA

Mar 052015

Avalanche

The dash has a crack above the instrument panel, as well as in the upper left corner of the airbag. Airbag deployment could result in shrapnel

- Ellis, KS, USA

Feb 182016

Avalanche

I recently noticed a crack in my dash close to the airbag in my 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, it's approx. 3-4 inches in length from the upper left corner of the airbag compartment to the top of the dash. This occurred while my Avalanche was parked at the airport while traveling, when I returned the crack was there, presumably from temperature changes. The vehicle is out of warranty with over 100K miles but I feel this is a safety concern being so close to the airbag. If the airbag deploys I expect plastic shards will be thrown around the interior cabin and possibly causing harm to passengers, possibly children. I have taken my vehicle to my local dealer and they say it's cosmetic and I would have to pay. I'm willing to pay however some people may not since the cost is so high. I feel that this is a safety concern and the NHTSA should open an investigation, thank you.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jan 012014

Avalanche

Dash board/instrument panel cracked and separated from mounting clips dy air bag and over instrument cluster. Extremely likely flying object injury possible in any speed accident. This is the second dash in this truck to have the same problem. The first dash was replaced under warranty.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jan 012015

Cracked dashboard in 3 places during normal use

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 102015

Avalanche

Dash on veicle has cracked on both sides twice in three years and Chevy will not fix because out of warranty. Dash is cracked next to top airbag and if airbag is deployed it will throw pieces of sharp dash which is thick plastic all over. This has happened to hundreds of others and Chevy will not fix or help.

- Lady Lake, FL, USA

Nov 042013

Avalanche

The dash board is cracking from the corners of the passenger airbag and above the instrument cluster. Hard plastic pieces are falling onto the floor from behind the dash. This is the second dash installed as the first cracked into several parts while it was under warranty. GM no longer offers replacement parts. If the airbags deploy sharp hard plastic will be sprayed upon the occupants.

- Aquilla, TX, USA

Oct 162015

Avalanche

The dashboard is cracking. There are two major cracks that touch the passenger airbag and four major cracks over the drive side instrument console. Some cracks have been stop-drilled in an effort to keep them from spreading further. I think the cracks touching the airbag could cause shrapnel in an airbag deployment.

- Roseville, CA, USA

Sep 012015

Avalanche

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Avalanche. The contact stated that cracks developed on the dashboard. The cracks were on the passenger side of the dashboard near the location of the air bag. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Inglewood, FL, USA

Oct 012014

Avalanche

Galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metal (aluminum and steel) components in the manufacturer's installed bed cover system is causing the latching mechanisms for the bed cover to disintegrate and cease to function as designed. The bed cover panels can no longer be reliably latched and are subject to breaking free from the vehicle during transit. A bed cover panel that departs the vehicle due to latch failure would be a substantial roadway hazard. There is no way isolate the dissimilar metals to stop the corrosion.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Avalanche 4WD 8-cyl

My 2008 Avalanche with 72,000 miles on it, is completely rotting away underneath. I've had to replace many parts, shocks, autoride compressor, fuel pump module, had body rust repaired, have had 3 door handles fall right off.. last 2 mechanics told me that all parts located underneath truck are rotting away and that I need to get rid of truck because it is not worth repairing. I have tried to work with GM but they claim that its normal wear and tear. Paid 30K for truck Dec 2011. Have membership to car wash, and keep it very clean. Undercarriage included. Cant get my service suspension light to shut off, even the dealer cant. This truck should not be rotting away the way it is.. please help.

- Worcester, MA, USA

Jul 132010

Avalanche

At present 3 outside door handles are broken & may be pulled off at any time. These are: Rt front pass., rt rear pass. & left rear pass. Doors. This represents an expense to me of $450 or $500. I, or previous owner, have replaced 3 door handles: Rt front pass., under warranty; left rear 13 July 2010, $124; & driver's door 23 Apr 2013, $155. Local Chevy service dept said reason for this failure is likely because handles are made of plastic, not metal; but they can't repair for free because GM doesn't acknowledge responsibility. I have owned many GM products in my 75 years, but I think this will be my last because quality of their vehicles sucks like an egg-sucking dog and, like the dog, it seems to be endemic.

- Kirbyville, TX, USA

May 212014

Avalanche

Door locks on both driver and passenger side does not work with remote or with vehicle in drive.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Nov 012012

Avalanche 8-cyl

My 79 year old wife badly cut her finger while opening the door of our vehicle. The door handle of my vehicle is plated in chrome. This chrome is now coming undone, and is razor sharp. Today the last of the 4 door handles broke due to defect on the handles themselves. GM states that these are trim and not considered mechanical (even though they perform a mechanical function) so they aren't recalling them even though this issue is widespread and is a safety issue. If a vehicle is involved in an accident. The passengers inside are unconscious or unable to open the door themselves due to injury, the door handles could break as a firefighter or other person from the outside tries to open them.. this is a lawsuit waiting to happen and GM knows about this problem they are choosing to ignore it. Recall and replace these door handles with ones that can actually open the door before someone gets hurt! I am on high doses of coumadin and if it were my finger I could have bleed to death. Get this recalled please.

- Fountain Inn , SC, USA

Aug 312012

Avalanche 8-cyl

The plating on the interior door handle is peeling to the point where it is cutting my finger each time I open the door.

- Chandler, AZ, USA