2008 Chevrolet Aveo seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Aveo:

2008 Chevrolet Aveo Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 142013

Aveo 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Aveo that I purchased from a Chevrolet dealership in russellville, ky. Since the 2nd day I owned it, it has been nothing but problems. Air bag sensors not working, have had this repaired three times. Yesterday the air bag light came on again. My biggest trouble has been with the throttle position sensor. Get a P2135 code that tells you to replace the entire throttle body. I did this ($300 part) did no good. The car has been in the shop for over 7 months in the 15 months I've owned the car. Computer has been "flashed" numerous times. Didn't work. GM customer care asked me to take the car to and authorized Chevrolet repair shop. I did. After 2 trips there and a total of 6 weeks in the shop, they tell me they think the problem is with the ECM engine control module. This part has an 8 year, 80,000 mile warranty. I bought the car with 76,000 mile on it. The problem has been documented by the Chevy dealership I purchased the car from for many thousands of miles prior to me purchasing the car. GM refused to honor the warranty because the car now has 82,000 miles. This is the thing that gets me. When I bought this car, they knew I was buying it for a daughter in college. They knew the car had these problems and sold it to me anyways. I had to purchase another car for my daughter. I am currently driving the Aveo to and from work. The lights that are currently "on" are the check engine light, the air bag light, and I can not allow a passenger in the car because, when they sit in the passenger seat the air bag light that indicates that the passenger side air bag is now engaged does not go off.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Aug 082014

Aveo 4-cyl

The air bag light is on. I took it to the dealer and they said it needs a new airbag control module. The cost is $908.89 and the extended warranty has recently expired.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jun 132014

Aveo 4-cyl

My car has been having numerous airbag issues and electrical problems. The first issue with my airbags happened last year around this time. I took car to Chevy service center and they told me they had to replace whole frontal airbag senor and other systems. In may of this year airbag light came on again. Took car to Chevy service center and there were numerous fault codes particularly the passenger side airbag sensor. They told me that they believe there is a malfunction in the system but they were suggesting I replace the passenger airbag sensor. I asked GM to do a full system check on my airbag system but they refused. I could not afford the repairs so I did not have the issue fix. Also, I was not convinced that it would have solved the problem because they were not 100% sure since there were numerous fault codes. The next issue is hard to describe but when I am driving my car jerks and shakes and almost shuts down and starts back up at the same time. This happens whether I am standing by a light or fully in drive mode. I took car to shop but they could not diagnose issue because check engine light is not on and it does not happen all the time. Only when I drive my car for more than an 30 minutes to an hour.

- Carlisle, PA, USA

Jun 012014

Aveo 4-cyl

Air bag light came on and stayed on., dashboard clock and cd radio also went out. The Chevrolet servicing dealer suggested that the service codes reflected a short in wiring and the dashboard has to be removed to check the wire harness for the short. They wanted to charge me $315, manager continued to state also the sensor module for the airbag may be defective. Why do they charge for diagnosis when their diagnosis measures cannot find the problem and want to charge another $315 for further diagnosis?I with the I've checked with other Aveo owners and some have the same exact problem. I do believe there is a fault with this car. I do not know if the airbags will deploy if their is an accident with this car.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jul 022014

Aveo

Air bag light came on and stayed on. Upon inspection at dealership it was suggested that the clock and wiring from the airbag component to the clock be replaced to fix a sensor malfunction issue. Warned that if issue was not fixed, it was possible that the airbag would fail to deploy in the case of an accident.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 192013

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the rear end of the vehicle made an abnormal noise. The contact also mentioned that the air bag warning indicator illuminated. An independent mechanic noticed that the bushing was worn. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Weirton, WV, USA

Jun 232014

Aveo 4-cyl

When driving at 40 mph or over the antani makes a loud humming inside the car you cant hear its so loud. So if the cops fire or emsa was coming you wouldn't be able to hear them or other things you may need to hear. The antani is on top the roof and long at center front of the roof the wind hits it and the humming starts very loud. Every time I drive 40 mph and above it starts to humming and it is the antani.

- Sand Springs, OK, USA

Apr 252014

Aveo 4-cyl

I hit the back of a SUV and it hit so hard that the hitch went thru my bumper, but airbag did not deploy. Now I have a warning sign that just came up stating there is a malfunction with the air bag.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Nov 112013

Aveo

Light for air bag is on telling me they do not work.

- Ramsey, MN, USA

Mar 072014

Aveo

The air bag light came on as the car was going down the road and will not go off.

- Fort Ann, NY, USA

Jun 092008

Aveo

The contact owns 2008 Chevy Aveo. The contact stated the air bag light came on in her vehicle and had continually stayed on for a period of time. The contact stated that this failure had frequently reoccurred. The contact stated the vehicle sensor was replaced but failure continued. The contact is concerned that in the event of a crash her air bags would not deploy. The manufacturer had not been contacted. The failure mileage was 3,930.

- Federal Way , WA, USA

Nov 012013

Aveo 4-cyl

There is a problem with the red air bag light, it stays on. It never goes off.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 112013

Aveo 4-cyl

Airbag light came on and has not gone off. I have had nothing but problems out of this vehicle. Mar 2010, I took the vehicle in to the dealer for making loud scrubbing noises when turning. I was told it was nothing. Oct 2010 it was electrical problems. I had 19,300 miles on the vehicle when the brake lights went out and check engine light was on. Oct 2012, it was electrical problems and the vehicle would not start at all. I had 30,300 miles on the vehicle and it cost $600 in repairs. June 2013, the A/C went out. I had 34,000 miles on the vehicle and it cost $573 to replace the compressor (first and only time I went to another mechanics shop). Sep 2013, the airbag light came on. GM wants $100 just to run a diagnostic to tell me why it's on. My goodness, as many times as I have brought the vehicle to GM haven't I paid enough in diagnostics? this is ridiculous! I am never buying anything with Chevrolet written on it again. I believe GM knows what is wrong with this vehicle. If I wasn't on a fixed income I would get rid of it.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Aug 142013

Aveo 4-cyl

My 2008 Chevy Aveo with approximately 27,000 miles recently showed the airbag light continually lit. I took it into the local Chevy dealership and they said the dtc code was B2502 at a cost of $110 for diagnosing it. He cleared the code and the light is not lit anymore. He said he had seen this before and said the light might come back on and wanted me to order a clock/pps indicator for $87.89 and with labor, shop costs, and tax would total $266.15. Do all car manufactures use the same dtc codes" I told him I would take it as it is and see if the light comes on in the future. Does this make sense for this code"

- Manassas, VA, USA

Aug 112013

Aveo

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that the vehicle became involved in a crash while traveling 60 mph and the air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained lacerations to the arms and face. The front passenger also sustained lacerations to the arm. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed to determine the cause of the air bag failure or for repairs. A police report was not filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The failure mileage was 86,705.

- Lisbon, NY, USA

Feb 222013

Aveo 4-cyl

Passenger air bag light will not go off.

- Lebanon, TN, USA

Aug 012012

Aveo 4-cyl

The driver airbag sensor malfunctioned, and the airbag is no longer engaged, which is indicated by the driver air bag light remaining on while the engine is turned on. The dash light, passenger tail lamp and the passenger fog light all stopped working simultaneously. Passenger tail lamp doesn't work even after replacing the bulbs, which suggests there is an electrical issue.

- Honolulu, HI, USA

Sep 222012

Aveo 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Aveo. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the air bag warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the clock spring was defective, causing the air bags to deactivate. As a result, the clock spring needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 46,000. Updated 11/28/12 updated 12/03/12

- West Union , OH, USA

Apr 222012

Aveo

My husband rear ended a car due to a car stopping suddingly and the roadway was wet. The airbag deployed but the opening it came out of split the airbag on both sides, so it did not inflate properly.

- Lagrange, NC, USA

Apr 162012

Aveo 4-cyl

Airbag light stays on. Checked it and received code B1448, which refers to a sensor on the passenger seat. The passenger seat rarely is used and now sensor in seat it needs to be replaced for a cost of 1000 + installation.

- Santa Paula, CA, USA