2.3

2005 Chevrolet Colorado lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Colorado:

2005 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Oct 312015

Colorado

Sept of 2014 our Chevrolet Colorado had issues with not starting. The dealer diagnosed it as "code issues" and replaced a safety sensor. The issue was never resolved as check engine light stayed on. Oct of 2015 while driving, the airbag light came on and never went off. Also Oct 2015, about the time the airbag light came on, we received a letter stating that a wire harness in this make, model and year of vehicle could cause code problems and or the airbag light to illuminate, and that GM would fix it at no cost to us, if the vehicle was within 10 yrs old or had 120,000 or less miles. Last year when this started our vehicle was 9 yrs old, yet GM will not pay for it saying it's not a safety hazard. I completely disagree as the light stays on all the time, how am I suppose to know if it's really not airbag failure as opposed to the faulty wire and harness? this letter was dated Oct 2015 yet GM is saying the offer on this expired Oct 29 2014 yet we didn't receive a letter until 2015

- Riverside, WA, USA

Mar 092014

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that she was made aware that the brake lights were inoperable while driving 30 mph. The brake lights were serviced in August 2012 under NHTSA campaign id number 09V310000 (exterior lighting). The vehicle was not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Mission, TN, USA

Nov 242005

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving approximately 20 mph, the contact approached a stop sign and immediately engaged the brake pedal. A driver in another vehicle alerted the contact that the rear brake lights were inoperative. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the brake light switch was replaced under the service warranty. In 2009, the failure recurred and the vehicle was repaired under a recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 09V310000 (exterior lighting:brake lights:switch). The remedy repair was insufficient and most recently, the failure recurred for a third time. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Moncks Corner, SC, USA

Jun 052012

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact was traveling 50 mph when the brakes were depressed and the brake lights failed to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer confirmed that the brake light switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 181,244 and the current mileage was 181,258.

- Brooklet, GA, USA

Sep 202006

Colorado 5-cyl

The wiring harness and the resistor pack for the HVAC burns and is melted and could possibly cause a fire. This is not just an electrical HVAC problem. It is a grounding problem, and causes all kinds of problems. The hazard lights, blinkers, and stop lights all stopped working on my truck. Most of the dash would go out intermitly. The aux plugs stopped working. I had replaced the battery, wiring harness and resistor pack twice. General Motors knows about this problem. It also affects the GMC canyon, and the Isuzu I-280 pick-up trucks. There should be a recall to correct this problem before someone is killed. No brake lights, no turn signals, fire/smoke in the cab, etc.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 232011

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

The relay for the brake lights under the dash has failed 4 times on my Chevy Colorado. The last two failures occurred after the part was replaced with the supposedly redesigned part from the recall. When this happens the brake lights fail to operate and no indication is given to the driver.

- Cranberry Township, PA, USA

Sep 012010

Colorado

As per NHTSA campaign id number: 06V139000 and NHTSA campaign id number: 09V310000 brake lamp switch assembly was replaced. Since replacement (approx. 10,000 miles) brake lights and cruise malfunctioned. This left driver without operable brake lights. Driver was not involved in an accident. However, safety was compromised. Manufacturer refused to replace brake lamp assembly at cost, because the safety recall was already performed once.

- Austintown, OH, USA

Jul 312010

Colorado

Complete failure of all brake lights due to brake light switch. Was warned by another motorist following a near collision. I noticed several weeks prior to incident that the cruise control failed to engage. Dealership that performed the repairs stated that my VIN number was not included in the recall.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Jun 092010

Colorado

1. normal driving. 2. brake light switch failure. Brake lights inoperable along with inoperable cruise control. There were no consequences, however having no brake lights could result in sever consequences. One has to wonder if a wreck had occurred would it be considered my fault since my brake lights not functioning was the cause of the wreck? 3. I replaced the brake light switch with a new GM part purchased at a GM dealer. I have 3 of the last 4 failed brake light switches. The first failed switch was thrown away. The P/N of the most recent failure is 25796381. That is also the P/N of the part purchased by me today. The P/N for the other 2 switches is: 15912229 & 1518647. The last time my brake light switch failed was 03/2008. I have owned my truck since 3/2005 I believe.

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 182010

Colorado

Noticed first the cruise control had stopped working, then was informed by a friend that I had no brake lights. While searching for replacement parts online, I noticed a recall notice for my vehicle from NHTSA(09V310000), but that parts will not be available until June 2010. I contacted Chevrolet and was told that there are no open recall notices on my vehicle. At this time I have not replaced the defective part.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Feb 092010

Colorado

Left turn signal indicator on when headlights are on. Activation of left turn signal causes both front turn lights to blink, and all four rear tail/turn lights to blink. This might be due to turn signal switch, or multifunction switch failure.

- Davis, CA, USA

Mar 062008

Colorado

Currently I own a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado crew cab 4WD purchased in October 2004. The Colorado was a new body style for Chevrolet in 2005 and replaced the Chevy S-10 pick-up. Approximately 1 year ago, I began noticing condensation inside my front headlamp assemblies. Moss began accumulating and the moisture inside has began to affect the projection capability of my headlamps. The headlamp assemblies are constructed of all plastic parts. It is unfortunate, to say the least, that I will have to spend several hundred dollars to replace my headlamp system after the truck is only 4 years old. For individuals who do not pay attention to this, it may become a safety hazard. My vehicle has never been wrecked from the front and has all original manufactures equipment. The seals are failing on my headlamps system.

- Bonney Lake, WA, USA

Jan 012009

Colorado

Cruise control on my 2005 Chevy Colorado stopped working, when researching the problem I found my brake lights were also not working, there is supposed to have been a recall about this, however my dealership - lithia Chevrolet and george gee Pontiac, both say thier part was already replaced on the vehicle and they refuse to fix it again, thus I am stuck without brake lights, obviously the replacement part doesn't fix the problem.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Oct 312008

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. In December of 2006, the vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number 06V139000 (exterior lighting:brake lights:switch). Most recently, the contact noticed that the cruise control did not turn off after several attempts. On October 31, 2008, he was informed by another motorist that the brake lights also were not working. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealer. The manufacturer stated that they did not repair vehicles for the same recall more than once. The current mileage was 40,008 and failure mileage was 39,990.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Sep 152008

Colorado

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado. On three separate occasions, the brake lights failed to illuminate when the brake pedal was depressed. The brake switch was replaced twice and currently needs to be replaced again. The current mileage was 44,000 and failure mileage was 16,000. Phone interview update (10/2/2008): Mr. Hernandez said that he replaced the brake lamp switch three times. He bought the vehicle used and he did not receive a recall notice from GM for brake lamp switch. After each failure, he bought a replacement switch from a GM dealer and did the repair himself. Mr. Hernandez said that the first failure occurred in 2006, the second in 8/08, and the most recentfailure occurred in 9/15/08.

- Rollinh Meadows, IL, USA

Sep 162008

Colorado 5-cyl

Brake lights intermittently did not work. I personally checked the bulbs and they were operative. I checked the brake light switch and noted that the plunger remained "in" although the brake pedal was depressed. I had to push on the plunger several times to get the plunger to push out. The brake lights then worked when the pedal was depressed. I took the vehicle to ferman Chevrolet, tampa fl, after discovering the recall notice on the NHTSA site on 09/17/08. I was informed that this recall (PE05065) had been performed on this vehicle in the past. I had the part replaced and kept the replaced part which is available to you. The part is labeled with the number 25796381 6318B. This is a definite safety hazard and may indicate the "fix" that GM did in this case may need to be fixed again. This was on a 2005 Chevrolet Colorado 5 cylinder. Email update (10/2/2008): My daughter was stopped several times by law enforcement and told that the brake lights were not working. I personally checked the lights and they were not illuminating when the brake pedal was depressed. When I reached up to check the switch with the brake pedal depressed I noted that there were plungers that were not extending when the brake pedal was depressed. I then pushed on the plungers with my fingertips and was able to dislodge the plunger and low and behold the brake lights started working when the brake pedal was depressed.

- Brandon, FL, USA