2.7

2006 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Colorado:

2006 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Jan 102006

Colorado

My Chevy Colorado has the same electrical problems that I have been hearing about. The dealer can not find the problem as it is intermittent. You never know when it will happen, but the motor will not start. I have changed the start relay, and run relay., but that does not help after sitting awhile it will start. It is dangerous as you could be anywhere when this happens. Also at any time the ABS warning light comes on for no reason, and then goes away. I wanted a truck that I could trust. It looks like a will never buy a Chevy again unless I get this resolved.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 152010

Colorado

Vehicle fails to start after shutoff. Passlock failure. Happens regularly.

- Arizona City, AZ, USA

Aug 102010

Colorado

Fan control only works on fan speed 4. positions 1 thru 3 do not work. After research on internet found the information on the grounding block for the fan control circuit. Checked the connector for this and found corrosion and slightly darkened connector due to heat buildup due to the corrosion. Also you can get the fan control to work on all settings if you move the wires around on the connector so it makes good contact but this is only a temporary fix. This will be come worse as time goes by and if the heat buildup is high enough it could very possibly result in a fire in the cabin of the vehicle... there are a high number of complaints about this issue and this should be investigated for a possible recall.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 312010

Colorado

Passlock feature engages and the engine will not start. Engine turns over but this feature blocks fuel from allowing engine to fire. This has occurred several times out of the blue. I turn the vehicle off while getting gas and it won't start, passlock has struck!

- Niland, CA, USA

Aug 302010

Colorado

2006 Chevy Colorado will not start with proper key. When attempting to start vehicle, ignition switch malfunctions and will make anti theft system think vehicle is being stolen. Proper key is being used and spare key has been used to verify problem. Have researched internet and lot of the Chevy Colorado's are having the same problem new or not. GM wants $400 to fix a clearly faulty part.

- Conway, SC, USA

May 142010

Colorado

I could have written this complaint six months ago, because this problem has been going on for at least a year and is now becoming more frequent. My 2006 Chevrolet Colorado will turn over but will not crank. I wait exactly 10 minutes and then it will start. This is now happening about twice a week. When I've taken it to the dealer at least three times, the dealer could not replicate the problem. On the third time I had it at the dealer, I went to pick up the truck after being told, once again, that they could find nothing wrong; when I tried to start it, the same thing happened. By the time they rolled the computer to it, the 10 minutes had passed and they, again, could find nothing wrong. This is very frustrating and stressful because the truck is fairly new and has been well taken care of, but I can't depend on it to start. I know other Colorado owners are having the same problem. I would really like to have a solution.

- Charleston, SC, USA

May 042010

Colorado

My 2006 Chevrolet Colorado has been at the two different dealerships and the problem is occurring. Problem, is that the motor will turn over but will not start. After 10 minutes the vehicle will turn over and then start. Since the dealer can't replicate no error codes are reported when connected to the computer. This happens intermittently.

- Spring, TX, USA

Feb 232010

Colorado

Truck shuts off while driving. Pass lock faults out. I was taking a turn the other day while driving 40 miles per hour when my truck died. This is the third time its happened.

- Clermont , FL, USA

Feb 122009

Colorado

Intermittent no starts after driving and stopping for 30 min. Or so eventually re starts after several attempts has occurred 6X in 36,000 miles.

- Rosemead , CA, USA

Oct 262009

Colorado

Brake lamps blow our regularly every week or two; blower motor quits intermittently due to rusted corroded connector; instrument panel fails intermittently, nothing works (gauges, lamps, odometer) but engine runs. Brake issue has persisted now for two years. Blower started in early 09 and instrument panel just started Oct 09.

- Roebuck, SC, USA

Oct 062009

Colorado

Blower control failure, intermittent. Failure of the controls in the first three levels and at times all levels of the control resulting failure does not allow the windshield to defrost or clear in inclimate weather. Full function may return upon restarting the engine.

- Auburn, IN, USA

Jun 172009

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

Went to turn on the cabin fan on speeds 1-3 and the fan would not turn on. Speed 4 (the fan has 4 speeds), the fan would come on. After giving the truck time to warm up, sometimes the fan would then turn run on the lower speeds. This happened a many times during the summer. Sometimes, even given 20 minutes of running the vehicle, the fan would not run on lower speeds. After a month or so without doing anything, the fan worked as expected. Lately the problem started to reappear, again, the fan would only run on high. Just like before, even given 20 minutes of run time, the fan would not run on lower speeds. The fix was two fold. The root cause of the issue was a bad grounding block, that then would cause a short in a wiring harness. The grounding connection for the fan, was secured. Second the wiring harness for the fan control along with a resistor had to be replaced. Pictures of the burned resistor and wiring harness can be found at www.flickr.com/photos/imrambi/sets/72157622545918308/. as shown, there is burnt plastic where the wiring harness connects to the resistor. The resistor is inside the cabin near carpet and other flammables and posses a fire hazard. Updated 07/10/2012

- Nashua, NH, USA

Aug 172009

Colorado

I own a 2006 Chevy Colorado I had the brake light switch replace due to recall on March 2006 three years later the same problem happen again the brake switch went out. Chevy Corp said since the repair/recall was already performed I would have to take it back to the dealer ship to get it look at again and the same part that failed was going to be an out of pocket expense. I don't think I or anyone else having the same problem should have to pay for a defective part. This poses a serious problem because it caused me to loose my brake lights and almost got rear ended four times. This poses a very high danger because when you are driving you do not even know when you loose your brake lights there is no indications or messages from the dash board that your lights are out. This is just an accident waiting to happen hopefully there are no deaths involved. Thank you for taking the time to read this complaint.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 282009

Colorado

The blower motor started to only work on the high setting, 4, all other settings, 1,2,3, were not working, I thought the blower control switch may have been bad. I checked with the dealer, the part to replace the switch is the whole control panel, $200. I wanted to make sure that was the problem before spending the money. I checked on the internet and found this is a common problem with Colorado's. it turns out that the blower motor resistor block and connector are suspect. I did in fact check this out and found evidence of over heating on the connector. I can get the fan control to work properly by moving the wires on the connector to the resistor block. I think this is a safety concern due to the fact that others have reported the connector actually being melted from over heating. GM does not have any service bulletins or recalls out for this issue. On the internet search there was additional information concerning the grounding block in the engine compartment that has led to several electrical problems. I also found my grounding block to have had some corrosion build up that may have caused problems with my electrical system. My passenger side power window was intermittent. I cleaned the corrosion on the grounding block and everything is working properly.

- Shalimar, FL, USA

May 032009

Colorado

The back lighting of the instrument panel just failed. No intermittent failure, one second it was working the next it did not. All instruments within the instrument panel appear to still be working, but you cannot read the instrument cluster at night, which makes it impossible to determine speed. The dealer checked it out and determined that this failure was common in this model, and that the entire instrument panel ($$$) has to be replaced (you can't just replace light bulbs). This is a manufacturing defect the dealer refuses to repair under warranty.

- Madison, GA, USA

Jun 192007

Colorado 4WD 4-cyl

Truck misfiring on all cylinders since around June 2007. Check engine light on some, off some. June 19 dealer said misfiring on all cylinders and they were stumped. They first guessed bad gasoline then said computer needed reconfiguring. Still misfiring when I left shop. On July 19 returned to dealer. They said it was a GM problem that GM was aware of...possibly crankshaft sensor and for me to come back in two weeks. On Aug 18 I took truck back to dealer after engine quit in a rolling turn in middle of intersection. Dealer replaced fuel pump and spark plugs and said they thought water was in fuel. Don't go back to same gas stations they said. I haven't. truck still was misfiring when I left. On 9-26 I went back to dealer. Truck engine shut off while I was doing 70mph down busy interstate. Made it to side of road, restarted and continued on my way. Dealer said it was computer loosing communications internally and had clogged fuel injectors. Left dealer and truck still misfiring. Drove it for a day or two and when friend who went to lunch with me wondered if we were going to make it back from lunch I decided to call dealer. Called dealer and was told it was a software problem and that GM is working on it. Groan! truck is almost out of warranty and I am wondering when next time engine will quit running and under what driving conditions. Thanks....roger dowdy

- Cottontown, TN, USA

May 292006

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

2006 Chevrolet Colorado - 4 door - 5 cylinder engine - 4 wheel drive truck has shut down while driving it with no warning. This has happened 5-6 times. Dealer cannot find problem as it is always running when they get it. It has been towed to the dealer once. This problem is extremely dangerous as there is no warning. The engine just quits. Once the engine quits and you get the truck off the road, you simply cut the key off and restart the truck. One time I could not get it to run again and it had to be towed. I cannot begin to tell you how scary this is when you are in traffic and have no place to go. The dealer tells me to keep driving the vehicle as the computer shows no problems.

- Burleson, TX, USA