CarComplaints.com Notes: The Chevy Colorado is mechanically identical to the GMC Canyon.

2.2

2008 Chevrolet Colorado electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Colorado:

2008 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 272016

Colorado

This vehicle seems to have a mind of its own. You get in the vehicle to go somewhere and it wont start. Everything comes on, lights, radio, A/C but it wont crank. Let it sit 10-20 minutes and it cranks right up. And it doesn't do it all the time. It may happen 3 times in a week then go 2 months or longer without happening again. It has caused me to be late for work, sitting a the gas station many many times!. I have tried using the key fob and just using the key to unlock the doors. It doesn't make a difference. Please tell me how to fix this!

- Plant City, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Colorado

Vehicle accelerates on its on, very scary when in parking lots. Stops while cruise is on. Its been doing this since August 2016. We have tried cleaning throttle body. But since it doesn't do it while the cruise is on. We have to assume their is an electrical issue.

- Russellville, KY, USA

Apr 222016

Colorado

When I turn to the right my vehicle dies it has been doing it for 2 weeks every day

- Tipton, OK, USA

Jan 222013

Colorado

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Colorado. While driving 65 mph, the contact smelled a burning odor. The contact coasted the vehicle over to the side of the road and noticed smoke appearing under the passenger side dashboard. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the heater fan relay was burning and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 144,000.

- Galloway, OH, USA

Jan 222014

Colorado

If you leave it set for a day it will not start new battery and altanator was tested it was good. And airbag light is on.

- Indiana, PA, USA

Jun 252015

Colorado

Driver side back door wiring harness between door and frame. 3 wires are broken inside boot. This is second time this has happened. Lasted 3 years. I have pictures. Part number 15214393 June 10 2012 air bag light on dash. Onstar told me that seat belt tensioner was not operating, and air bag will not deploy until it is corrected. Found that driver side back door that 2 wires were broken in the harness in the between door and body in boot. GM part number 15214393. I have pictures. This is a problem and still no recall. No air bags till fixed.

- Prairie View, IL, USA

Jul 172011

Colorado 5-cyl

This was the first time it happened, an it is still happening to this day. While you are driving at any speed the vehicle goes into reduced power mode. This happens mostly when the air is cool. At idle the rum's fluctuate about 100 RPM on days it happens most. There should be a recall on the throttle body's since you can't just change the tps.

- Madera, CA, USA

Dec 012014

Colorado 5-cyl

TPMS failed and flashes continually. Chevrolet can't fix it and neither can anyone else.

- Coconut Creek , FL, USA

Dec 072014

Colorado 4WD 5-cyl

Electrical connector for blower motor caught on fire.

- Groveland , NY, USA

Aug 072014

Colorado 5-cyl

This vehicle seems to have a mind of its own. You get in the vehicle to go somewhere and it wont start. Everything comes on, lights, radio, A/C but it wont crank. Let it sit 10-20 minutes and it cranks right up. And it doesn't do it all the time. It may happen 3 times in a week then go 2 months or longer without happening again. We have taken it to 3 mechanics and they cant find anything wrong. We have taken it to the dealership and they cant find anything wrong. The same thing happens to my 2001 Chevy Suburban! I really really hate this! we bought this for my daughter to drive and it has left her stranded, late for class, sitting a the gas station many many times! I see on these posts that I am not the only one this is happening to. Please tell me how to fix this!

- N Augusta, SC, USA

Aug 172011

Colorado 5-cyl

Frequently, due to some failed or intermittent sensor in the pass lock system, truck will simply not start or function. Truck will not engage the starter and if bypassed will not engage furl or spark systems. System is designed to prevent theft but upon intermittent failure, prevents normal usage. Pass lock light will appear on dash. Car will not start, ten minute periods will pass when system is supposed to reset, but often it will not which means another 10 minute wait for next reset. At times it takes up to four resets to convince the security system to accept the input. I often now carry two sets of keys to try to increase the signal strength-no idea if that helps. I would hate to be in an unsafe area or out in -20 degree weather with this piece of crap GM engineering. Dealer uses the "can't duplicate problem but we will be happy to just randomly begin replacing parts at your expense" approach. A mandatory recall to force the corporation to fix this rampant (google passlock and see the cottage industry trying to fix this piece of crap engineering) problem in GM vehicles.

- Burlington, VT, USA

Jun 242014

Colorado 4-cyl

I had the stop lamps fail on my 2008 Chevrolet Colorado, there was a recall issued for these trucks from 04-09 but my truck was not included, I called GM and got no where with them as far as taking care of this common problem. There are obviously other Chevrolet Colorado trucks having the stop lamp problem that may not have been recalled and should be.

- Oxford, MI, USA

May 172014

Colorado

Sitting still after starting truck, noticed "doors" light on dash. Got out, checked all passenger doors and got back in drivers seat and closed the door. Door ajar caution remained lit. Radio will not turn off with ignition off, key removed and drivers door opened.

- Macomb, MI, USA

Feb 122014

Colorado

Battery keeps dying got a new battery and if I don't drive it one day and go out to start it its dead. And also the airbag light is on, rough idling.

- Indiana, PA, USA

Nov 012013

Colorado 5-cyl

The truck goes dead every time you apply the brakes so I'm afraid to drive it is been parked since late November when I took the truck into the Chevy dealer for the same problem they charged $350 change the plugs and clean the injectors and said it was fixed. I drive it once a week about 5 miles to take the trash off. I called the Chevy dealer to ask about a recall they said there was no recall on that truck and the truck was safe to drive but if I wanted to bring it back they would check it again at a cost of $300 to $350 when driving the truck I have to drive extremely slow because when it cuts off you lose all power steering and brakes and are subject to running a red light or side swiping another car.

- Salem, AL, USA

Jun 152013

Colorado

Airbag warning light came on and wont shut off. Tried a new fuse but nothing worked. Don't want to spend 100 for tech 2.

- Holmen, WI, USA

Jul 082013

Colorado

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Colorado. The contact stated that the engine failed to operate upon starting the ignition. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the malfunction was contributed to the faulty computerized system control module. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 26,700.

- Niles, OH, USA

Aug 012012

Colorado 5-cyl

Ac blower motor works intermittently and now does not work. Other people on the web have had small fire melted wires. This has been a problem with the Chevrolet Colorados. I had 2004 with the same problem. So as you see it is a 4 year old problem. When are you folks going to address it with GM since we as the people have some much invested in them.

- Lexington, SC, USA

Jan 102012

Colorado 5-cyl

There is an issue with the driver side headlamp, where it will not work under normal driving conditions. I replaced the headlamps to have the same result. Also replaced the fuse for the lt headlamp with same result. The left headlamp will work in high beam mode but not in normal driving conditions. I tried manually switching on, same result.

- Dundee, OR, USA

Jul 152010

Colorado

The brakes drag and squeal all of the time. They grab some of the time, and have temporarily locked up on 6 occasions. Being ABS; they don't actually lock up but do grab hard enough and long enough to make the tires "chirp". the problems are not noticeable at highway speed but the lower than expected mpg and higher than expected variation in mpg makes me think they occur at all speeds. Having no doubt that the brakes are defective worries me. I'm anxious about when they will fail and at what speed. On four of the six "lock up" occasions the vehicle had shifted itself into high range 4WD. That might have happened but went unnoticed the other two times. Every time it shifted itself into 4WD (and tried to lock the brakes) was after backing up. When the vehicle is self braking; a turn of the steering wheel makes the vehicle brake harder. A turn of more than 1/2 rotation results in a "grab" and a "chirp". if starting from a stop and turning at the same time, the rear wheels might spin. I've been driving 4X4S for many years. I know that front wheels "lurch" during a tight turn. That is not what this vehicle is doing. It will exhibit the same symptoms in 2wd. I think it's an electrical problem. This Colorado has been to the shop for 8 electrical fixes already. The number and variety of electrical problems with the Colorado model are staggering. They should be recalled and made reliable in the name of safety. Unfortunately, it seems like a certain number of injuries and deaths must be reached to warrant a recall.

- Tulsa, OK, USA