Print this page Notes: The 2015 Chevy Colorado has a significant trend of transmission problems.

Most owners reporting transmission problems with their 2015 Colorado report sluggish shifting or other similar problems with the truck not shifting properly. Although most of these 2015 Colorado trucks are still under warranty, it's not a good sign.

The Chevy Colorado is mechanically identical to the GMC Canyon.

2015 Chevrolet Colorado steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Chevrolet Colorado:

2015 Chevrolet Colorado Owner Comments

Apr 012016

Powering steering failed while driving (straight) on a city street at approximately 30 mph. Several warning lights came on. Not drivable except a very short distance. Fortunately failure happened very near the Chevrolet dealer and I was able to drive it there. This model is subject to a recall (GM recall 15595) however local dealer was totally unprepared for servicing the recall. I had the truck to the dealer by noon on April 1; it is now April 12 and dealer cannot tell me when parts will arrive and/or when the truck will be repaired. Neither GM or the dealer has volunteered to pay the cost of the rental car the dealer provided for a fee, despite GM's pledge to remedy the condition "without charge and within a reasonable time."

- Healdsburg, CA, USA

Dec 092015

Driving along and the power steering goes out. Has no common time or conditions as to when. Has happened on the highway, driveway and city streets. Steering is extremely difficult to turn. I have to stop, put it in park and restart. This makes it return to normal. Sometimes for a day or a couple of hours, it varies. Dealer has tried to download a fix but it's no better. Started Dec 9 and keeps doing so.

- Port Aransas, TX, USA

Aug 272015

Returning to work after lunch break. Power steering fails at about 45 mph. 3rd time that this has happened. Took it to dealer the first time and was told problem was solved. Turning truck off and on again temporarily resolves the problem. Took to dealer again today and was told they need to order more parts. Have found many other instances of this truck having similar issues online.

- Madison, WI, USA

Aug 202015

Experienced sudden loss of eps(power steering) after @ 30 minutes of driving: Symptoms: Sudden loss of power steering – alert message: "service power steering drive with care" stabilitrack and traction control dash lights on backup camera ok but no guide lines – message on screen: 'vehicle guiding lines unavailable" code scanner/reader shows no codes. After engine re-start: "service stabilitrack" message appears for a brief period, again, no codes. Power steering will be fine again… for a while. Problem repeated after another 30 minute driving. Again, restart cleared the problem. Several recalls for similar problem with GM vehicles: NHTSA campaign's: 14V719000, 14V395000 & 14V153000. Nothing for Colorado.

- Fremont, NH, USA

Jul 142015

I was driving onto an exit ramp and felt the steering get stiff. The informaction screen above the steering wheel flashed yellow lights and the message "service power steering, drive safely". I proceeded to grip the steering wheel harder and slow down till I could safely pullover. The backup camera also stopped working, which makes me think this is an electrical issues since the car has electrical power steering. Once I turned the car off and on back to normal but this seems to be affecting other 2015 Colorado and GMC canyons. Due to the weight and size of this vehicle this issue can cause a major and fatal accident.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Jun 302015

I stopped at a stop sign and heard the truck warning chimes and saw a service power steering message and when I tried to move the wheel I couldn't turn it. I put the truck in park and shut it off. Waited a few seconds and turned it back on and I had power steering again.was able to get it back to work and called and had it towed back to Chevy dealer and get it repaired, (I thought). They said they had to reprogram the power steering control module. It happened again today when my daughter was driving on a town road came around a sharp curve and lost the steering again. She was able to pull over into a driveway and shut it off and when it started back up the power steering was working again.

- Lyman, ME, USA

Jun 092015

The power steer in failed as I was driving about 25mph. I drove the car to the dealership. The power steering briefly worked each time the ignition was activated, then would fail minutes later. Have been without the vehicle since that day with conflicting explanations. Either the dealer received a bad replacement part or the entire steering column requires replacing. This is a very dangerous defect which should be investigated

- Rochester , MN, USA

May 072015

Was stopped at a red light. Warning sound came and instrument cluster mentioned stabilitrak and power steering fault, drive with care. Had no power steering for rest of trip to work. Had this of happened in traffic and in a turn I could have easily hit a car as it was extremely difficult to turn. Turned off vehicle and started back up and everything was fine.

- Wyandotte, MI, USA

Apr 032015

Colorado 4WD 6-cyl

On April 2, 2015, my daughter was pulling out a shopping center in plainfield il when the power steering system failed as she trying to make a right turn, the ip display showed a message to drive with care and that there was a problem with the power steering. I stopped at an auto parts store to purchase some fluid and when restarted the engine, the steering returned to normal. The following morning, I took in to the webb Chevrolet in plainfield where they said the power steering rack was defective and the part would not arrive until April 6th or 7th. My daughter panicked when this happened and she could have easily ran into another vehicle in the opposite lane of traffic. Three days before I came to Illinois to visit my daughter I picked it up from my local Colorado for severe engine oil leak repair.

- Aurora , CO, USA

Feb 132015

I had a power steering malfunction on three occasions on February 13,16, and 17. All three times it was -10 below zero or more and lost my power steering. My truck is parked in a garage at night, this happened all three times after being outside for several hours in extremey cold weather. The driver info center displayed (service power steering-- drive with care). After I had driven about 5 miles and shut the truck of and restarted it the power steering worked. At this time it is working ok. I have a second appointment on March 2nd with my dealer to try and fix this issue.

- Dickinson Center, NY, USA