2006 Chevrolet Corvette brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette:

2006 Chevrolet Corvette Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

May 132009

Corvette

2006 Corvette Z06 has intermittent failures of the active handling system causing one front brake to lock up. This causes the car to veer out of control instantly. Dealer replaced the steering position sensor. The problem happened again. Dealer did not know what to do, no stored codes. Dash warning says service active handling system. Dealer performed repair of the wiring harness at the steering column as per a tsb. Problem remains. When the system fails it fails suddenly and violently. It is not a fail "safe" system.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 252009

Corvette

Drove through a turn (rt hand) exited turn at approx 45 mph or less, went straight for approx 300 feet and car locked up rt front and left rear brakes causing car to go into 4 wheel slide (60 degrees from direction that was straight) jumped over curb side ways (drivers side facing curb) went off road, tires dug in and car rolled over 3 times, destroying car. There are many complaints on this active handling issue. Car is still in my garage and has been inspected by a automotive forensics investigator. Car is 100% complete and ready for any ones inspection including General Motors.

- Hooksett, NH, USA

Mar 052009

Corvette 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette. While attempting to make a small U-turn at 5 mph, the contact heard a loud banging noise near the rear of the vehicle. He noticed that the electronic control warning indicator was illuminated on the instrument panel. At anytime while driving, unwarranted brake activation could occur and increase the risk of a crash. The contact is in the process of taking the vehicle to the dealer to have it properly diagnosed and remedied. The failure and current mileages were 18,000. Updated 5/14/09 updated 05/14/09.

- North Kingston, RI, USA

Oct 082008

Corvette

Driving back from lunch to the office I was changing lanes on a heavily traffic area. Was going about 30mph when the car started to fish tail out of control going sideways into the side of the road and slamming into a electrical post. Both myself and my passenger were in awe. I could not control the car and it seems eventhough I took my foot off the gas it kept increasing. The hit was so hard it damaged the post and the car severely. I still do not know what happened since it has traction control it should have never fishtailed and at that low speed. No tire marks or any sign of acceleration were found. I am trying to find answers to what happened. Its scary.

- Wake Forest, NC, USA

Jul 062007

Corvette

Attention needed!! active handling system very dangerous failure mode!!! driving at 50mph the active handling system suddenly (and very violently) locks up both front and rear passenger wheels, bringing the car to a halt while throwing the vehicle to the left lane. The dealership said since they couldn't duplicate the event or find a computer code to verify, then can do nothing to help me. This is a very dangerous failure mode!! very easily I could have killed a pedestrian / motorcyclist in the lane to my left!!!

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

May 042008

Corvette 8-cyl

I was driving on interstate 40 going around 75mph when my car jumped to the right about 4 feet and then my brakes went crazy. It felt like I had 4 flat tires. I managed to pull to the shoulder and when I was stopped I noticed my service active handling warning was on. I had to disable the active handling to finish my trip. It was a good thing it was early in the morning or I would have wreck if there were other cars on the road. I took the car to the dealership and they replaced the active handling brake module. I have never had any problems with the car until this happened. This really scared me and I believed it should be checked out.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA