5.8

2013 Chevrolet Cruze drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Cruze:

2013 Chevrolet Cruze Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 102016

Cruze

My transmission started slipping while driving to work on the highway at 70 mph. The car gave me 2 warnings, one for the traction control needing serviced and one for the transmission needing serviced. I drove the car to my dealer explained the problem to the dealer and stated that I didn't think I was going to make it to them. The dealership service center let the car sit for a few hours and then checked for codes and mysteriously could not find any problem. The problem always starts when the vehicle is going up hill, the transmission lights starts blinking, the car starts sputtering and I lose speed very unsafe in traffic! when sitting at a stop light with the brake pedal mashed to the floor the car lunges forward. I have searched online for similar problems and have found that many Cruze owners are having the same problem and GM refuses to help there does seem to be an associated recall but it doesn't state the transmission problem in the discription. (NHTSA 16V502000) power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM). The service centers can't fix the problem because the car is not showing any codes when they check and I'm always sent home.

- Falling Waters, WV, USA

Oct 262016

Cruze

While accelerating on city streets, the transmission went into the fourth gear and hesitated to go any faster. I then stopped accelerating but then the transmission slammed into the third gear and revved high until I pushed on the brakes and the transmission slammed back into the fourth gear. This isn't the first occurrence. I haven't taken the vehicle to the dealership for servicing.

- Lake Havasu City, AZ, USA

Sep 132016

Cruze

Stopped on hill car in drive after a few seconds starts rolling backwards.

- Odessa, FL, USA

Sep 122016

Cruze

Engine light came on, auto zone ran it and code P0299. States it the turbo/ super charger underboost. 81,000 miles. I have only had this vehicle 18 months. I don't race around town in it.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Sep 062016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. While the vehicle was parked with the key removed from the ignition, it rolled away twice within 24 hours. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V502000 (electrical system, power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 42,000.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Jul 142016

Cruze

Stabilitrak check engine light turned on car overheated and the car slowed down and turned off while on the highway in couldn't restart the car had it towed to the dealership and they wanted to charge for repairs which we are not going to pay for manufacturing defects I have a 2013 Chevy cruise.

- Easton, PA, USA

May 162016

Cruze

My 2013 Chevy Cruze almost got me in a really bad accident. It started when driving about 20 mph (transmission is in D) the car started to loose power felt like its stalling, RPM dropped then suddenly started going into reverse while the transmission is still on D I almost hit the car behind me. I stepped on my breaks and I put the transmission in park but the car surged forward in which I almost hit the car in front of me. I've taken this car several times to the dealership for transmission shifting problems but I felt that it was not completely fixed. The dealer always tells me that theres nothing wrong with the car. But now that I've almost hit 2 cars yesterday without any reason, I feel that the car is completely unsafe to drive and my wife even told me that she will never drive this car again. It's just sad to be having this many problems on a car with less than 50K milesyesterday my 2013 Chevy Cruze almost got me in a really bad accident. It started when driving about 20 mph (transmission is in D) then the car started to loose power felt like its stalling the RPM dropped then suddenly started going into reverse while the transmission is still on D I almost hit the car behind me. So I stepped on my breaks then try to switch gears all of a sudden the car started to go forward even though the car is in park in which this time I almost hit the car in front of me. I've taken this car several times to the dealership for transmission shifting problems but I felt that it was not completely fixed. The dealer always tells me that theres nothing wrong with the car. But now that I've almost hit 2 cars yesterday without any reason, I feel that the car is completely unsafe to drive and my wife even told me that she will never drive this car again. It's just sad to be having this many problems on a car with less than 50K miles

- Tracy, CA, USA

Jun 052013

Cruze

Since purchase of the vehicle brand new in 2013, clutch has repeatedly smelled like burning clutch at random times while driving in 5th and 6th gear at highway speeds. The dealerships claim this is normal. At about 50K miles while driving on the freeway at 60mph in 6th gear for a period of about 30 minutes, I started smelling the clutch burning even though I wasn't shifting and didn't have my foot on the clutch. When it came time to exit the freeway and switch gears the clutch went to the floor and I couldn't shift into other gears. I had to pull over and take my car to the dealership by shifting when the gears synced. The dealership, keys Chevrolet, in van nuys, told me I was riding the clutch and caused it to melt and wouldn't listen to me about what really happened. My last vehicle was a 1997 VW jetta and I took the original clutch to 157K miles before trading in for this Chevy and the clutch was still good. I've been a valet for years and an auction coordinator, I don't ride the clutch and I can drive any vehicle professionally. The 2013 Chevy Cruze ls has problems. After looking on the cruzetalk forums, many members have found that the amount of transmission fluid Chevrolet puts into their transmissions, about 2 quarts, is not enough for 5th and 6th gear and they recommend putting in 2.5 quarts. Chevrolet denies there is a problem even though they caused my clutch to melt and cost me $1,800 to fix it.

Jan 032016

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. While driving at a high rate of speed, the vehicle lost power. The contact depressed the accelerator pedal, but the vehicle hesitated before accelerating. In addition, while the vehicle was idling, the ABS and multiple warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Jul 162015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. While parking, the vehicle shut off intermittently. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 70,000.

- Fairfeild , CA, USA

Jun 012013

Cruze

The car bogs down in first gear, this is a manual transmission, car has poor power. This also gives the automatics poor power. The spark plugs are not gapped out of factory. I joined cruzetalk forums and many people had the same problem. 2013 Cruze ls mt is supposed to have.028 gap spark plugs. I took it to the dealer and told them. They returned it in an hour and said they regapped them for me. The problem persisted. I bought the tools and took them out and they were set to.025, .021, .023, .025. The plugs are way off mark and the dealership lied. I regapped them to.028 and the car never ran better.

Jun 102013

Cruze

Even with the clutch fully depressed, there is often grinding between gears, especially in 1st to 2nd gear. I've been experiencing this since at least around 5K miles and have told Chevy about it since then. They refused to inspect it. Also sometimes when driving on the highway up a hill in 4th, 5th, or 6th gear I will smell the clutch. Finally at 65K miles while drving on the freeway without my foot on the clutch, driving a smooth 65 mph for about 20 minutes, started smelling the clutch, then the clutch stopped working and would push to the floor and I couldn't change gears. The dealership said the clutch melted because I was riding the clutch. I can't believe they blamed it on me. I wasn't even using the clutch. It has always had problems since I bought the car brand new and nobody would listen to me.

Jan 092015

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. While at a complete stop on an incline, the vehicle rolled backwards unexpectedly when the brake pedal was depressed. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was on an incline. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the vehicle was equipped with a second generation transmission which exhibited the characteristics that were normal. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Fuquay Vaina, NC, USA

Feb 112015

Cruze 4-cyl

2013 Chevrolet Cruze has surge. It feels significantly worse in her vehicle at 40,000 miles...updated 02/12/15

- Butler, PA, USA

Jan 092015

Cruze 4-cyl

I bought my 2013 Cruze in June 2014, with around 40K miles on it. In September the car began having issues. At first it was just that the radio and all dash lights would shut off. Then I had multiple service lights that would flash randomly. Those included stabilitrak, traction control, power steering and security system. At one point, while driving in a parking lot, my power steering completely locked up. My car eventually stopped starting. I was stranded at school and had to call a tow truck. When this happened, my key actually got stuck in the ignition. I was able to jump the car after several minutes of trying, but it would not keep power. I had it towed to the dealership, but they were not able to find anything wrong with it (no codes even came up on the computer) and it ran just fine for them. I drove the car home, and the next day had the same problem. This time after about 30 minutes of trying to get the car to start, it did, so I drove it straight to a Chevy shop. Again, they couldn't find any codes, but said they replaced some wiring and cleared the computer. I didn't have anymore problems until last week, when it all started happening again. I've had the power steering lock up on me in the middle of an intersection! the weird thing is, when my car doesn't want to start, all I have to do is use the little electrical knob that moves the drivers side seat back and forth, and everything fires up. GM needs to figure this out because it's bound to kill someone!

- Tigard, OR, USA

Dec 182014

Cruze 4-cyl

My vehicle was not filed in the recall list but has the same issue as a drive train recall (13V452000). My vehicle when shifting gears completely lost power and no longer goes into 5th or 6th gear. I have taken it to the dealership like GM asked me but unfortunately they informed me that my clutch was not covered. To me this is a big safety issues that could have resulted in my family and I being seriously injured if I was in a different situation. I would like to see my vehicle be fixed like all the other vehicles that was recalled with this same issues, I don't see why if the issues isn't different why my vehicle should be excluded.

- Tempe , AZ, USA

Dec 262013

Cruze

The contact owns a 2013 Chevrolet Cruze. After inserting the key in the ignition switch, the vehicle turned on independently. The contact mentioned that the transmission shifted independently from drive into neutral on multiple occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available. Mailed out 01/13/15

- West Virginia, WV, USA

Nov 142014

Cruze

Vehicle surges when car is in idle position (breaking). This vehicle was not in an accident, however during a surge the car bumper went over a parking block that had a tie rod sticking up. When I backed up the car, it pulled the drivers side bumper away from the front end. Also, an engine light goes on when the window defroster is on, stating that the ac is being shut off (ac is not on, the heater is) and shuts down the HVAC system.

- Farmington, MI, USA

Oct 032014

Cruze

On 10-1-14 my Cruze eco would not start. After multi tries and hearing only clicking sounds it did start. After getting to my destination and letting the car sit for hours it did the same thing again. Contacted dealer was told to bring car in which I did on 10-3-14. After a week, they stated they showed the alt was not charging and replaced it then again because 1st one they received from G.M was defective. On 10-10-14 picked up car started it up went home and let sit for about a hour then tried to start and again it only clicked but this time there was 3 messages and one was to roll window up and down" why? does these Cruze have electrical issues or computer issues" contacted selling dealer again and was told to bring it back which I did on 10-13-14. Waiting on my new Cruze again to be fixed and wondering why do these 5 star Cruze have so many problems according to what I have been reading the last few days without G.M doing something. I am not satisfied with this car.

- Orland, CA, USA

Sep 112014

Cruze

Now just purchased the 2013 Chevy Cruze second day everything shut down on me took it back and asked for a replacement car because something was wrong with that on explained and video tape it all but they sutton Ford told me the car was just updating and its normal. I plead with them and they said no. A week later it kept shutting off I took it back again samething 3 weeks all electrical shut off while drivin on expressway car shut down while driving could have been killed took car back 10/8 they said to bring it back on Monday which it caused it to be passed 30 day no replacement car and now warranty expired they want me to pay.they has the car now just purchased 9/10. Lights come on brakelight service stabilititrak comes on the car shuts down while driving do not want this car life threatening for me and kids. Also having problems with steering took it back second day of purchased claimed they fixed it but happening again.

- Calumet City, IL, USA