2005 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

May 232014

Equinox 6-cyl

I today just bought a used 2005 Chevy Equinox ls from a dealership in rochester, nh - ( owed car for only 3 hr ) once I pulled out of the driveway I realized that my car might be part of the 2014 recall on (keys) and I had watched the cnn broadcast where their showed driver who think their car might be part of the issue how it might happen in a controlled teat well I did the same thing while the car was in the breakdown lane just outside of the dealership heading home and I tried it with 3 light tug the car stalled I was able to restart the car as I was not going very fast ( only 5 mph) when I got home in my own garage I tried it aging while in a parked and it happened aging I repeated this 3 more time to ensure it was not a error on my part - I then called the dealership left a message about this as if it can getrepired - under my warrenty I like to do so as I have on my keyt climbing carbine I use for work as a food delivery guy I then called GM recall hotline and was bounce around to 3 different women who took my infor and told me my car not part of the recall so I cant get it of right now but I can leave a message for NHTSA to get a recall on my car started *** 3 little tugs on the ignition switch for a 2005 Chevy Equinox ls (auto) and the car stalled out - while in park - and going 5 mph in a breakdown lane.

- Rochester, NH, USA

May 232014

Equinox 6-cyl

The ignition switch in this vehicle is defective. The key may be removed from the ignition at any time, even if the car is running. The ignition switch may lock at any time so that the car may not be started. The ignition switch damages the car key causing the cylinder to be filled with metal shavings. This is an ongoing, well known problem. GM's answer is to clean and lubricate the ignition cylinder. This does not remedy the problem.

- Raytown, MO, USA

Sep 232010

I to own a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox which I purchased brand new, with only 34,400 miles on it to date. Our car is very well taken care of and it looks as good as the day we took it off the car lot. I have the same problem with my car, you could remove the key without turning the ignition off and the motor is still running, also around the ignition there is metal shavings.I now have worn out the second key and the ignition does not lock and when it does you cannot open it to start. So, I made a mark on the ignition where to turn the key off so I can start it the next time.the vehicle's both remotes do not work. I paid $65 for a new one at the dealership and now it does not work all the time. I lock the doors then, they won't open we have to use the key and hurry up to start the vehicle before the alarm goes off.I to had to replace the battery, but I chalk that up to age, also 4 sets of front brakes and rotors, 4 sets of tires and my vehicle only has 34,400 miles on it. Being a pa. State inspection mechanie I concurr there is a problem with the ingnition switch and in my opinion a possible defect in the front braking system.I hope GM looks into the problem...updated 06/09/14 updated 06/11/2014

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Apr 212014

Equinox 6-cyl

Ignition switch has problems - the key will not go in at all, or partially goes in and gets stuck, goes in fully and gets stuck, or comes out while the engine is still running. Currently the key will not go in rendering the car totally inoperable. The car is hard to start at times - it takes several tries to get it to turn over, even though I have regular maintenance done. The headlights may or may not go to high beam and the dash lights may or may not turn on at all. There is constant fluctuation. Due to the countless complaints I have read with regard to the same problems I believe that this fact alone should mandate an instant recall. I am disabled and this is my only means of transportation to my doctors for frequent treatments the cost to repair my vehicle is not within my reach.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

May 052014

The key fails sometimes to turn in the ignition cylinder, went to mechanic, ignition switch needs replacement.

- Brunswick, ME, USA

Mar 102014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ignition switch failed to turn preventing the vehicle to start. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. T he vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000 and the current mileage was 66,000.

- Pittsburg, PA, USA

Jun 032013

Equinox 6-cyl

The key can be removed from the ignition while the car is running, the headlights only work on highbeam, the brake lights do not work except for the small one in the middle. The car will continue to try to start even after the key is removed. The car currently runs hot so the fan runs constantly and runs the battery down. I have parked the car and wont drive because of the safety issue.

- West Frankfort, IL, USA

May 092014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the ignition key failed to turn. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 130,659.

- Dayton, OH, USA

May 092014

Equinox 6-cyl

I had to have my battery replaced today. My battery had to be replaced due to the ignition switch that is not completely turned off when I put the car in park. For a year or so I have been able to drive down the road and my cars key has been removable from the ignition switch. I have asked about the ignition switch before to my dealership over the years with no resolve. Since the recall of other GM models during the same year my car was made recently I have read over these issues and my Equinox is having the same issue. I do not have to put my car in park for the key to be taken out of the ignition switch. Now my battery is being compromised due to it not completely being able to shut off.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 032014

Equinox 6-cyl

First while driving at approx 25 mph I hit my key ring and the keys fell out. The car continue to run I just put the keys back in to the ignition when I came to a stop. I have since found that you can start the car and then remove the key and all continue to run and work. Also found that when I went to start the car the other day, once I turned the key to start it would kept running the starter. Let me explain a little better, when I turned the key to start the car and then let go the car starter continue to run until I moved the key to the off postion.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 152013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the key was erroneously removed from the ignition while the engine was active. The contact experienced the failure on multiple occasions and notified the local dealer who informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V171000 (electrical system). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000....updated 12/09/15

- Wayne, MI, USA

May 112011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated while driving approximately 30 mph, she erroneously struck the key ring and the ignition key released onto the console cup holder. The engine continued to operate without the key being positioned in the ignition switch. The contact immediately placed the key back into the ignition switch. The engine would operate at any given time without the key being permanently placed in the ignition switch. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Catasaqua, PA, USA

Apr 102014

Equinox 6-cyl

Key can be removed when ignition is not off. Can and does fall out while driving vehicle no matter what gear the selector shift is in ( including park).

- Rockford, MI, USA

Apr 102014

Equinox 6-cyl

Problems with power windows and door speakers. Had read about issues with the wiring harness between the door and the frame. I took the rubber boot off to find 4 broken wires. I would imagine the other doors are similar. Haven't ckd them as of yet. I have pictures if you like.

- May, TX, USA

May 212009

Equinox 6-cyl

On trip stopped for gas, pulled key out only went 1/2 way. Was stuck would not go in or out. Could not turn key to start the vehicle.was waiting for service, heard the door locks cycle on their own, panic button on. Then key would turn and vehicle would start. Replaced the ignition switch as per the dealer. Cost $587. This happened twice both times while trying to fuel up the vehicle. Since the switch was replaced we have encountered this twice again and do notice excessive wear on the key.

- Taylorville, IL, USA

Aug 132012

Equinox 6-cyl

1st time, going down steep hill, could not stop vehicle, thought brakes died, had to use the hand brake to stop, just missed a truck by a foot, would of hit me on driver side. That was in 2012 had SUV towed to robinson township, non GM dealer, they said it was the ignition sensor, replaced it, re-towed to GM dealer in moon township. They checked it out it was ok since sensor was replaced. 2nd time was in 2013, stopped coming down a hill again, no power again, called aaa they towed to GM dealer in moon township pa. Again ignition sensor replaced and also some other wires burned which were all replaced. Vehicle has around 33,000 on it only.

- Coraopolis, PA, USA

Nov 132013

Equinox 6-cyl

Went to start my car and the key would not turn. I jiggled it for a long time and it finally turned but the headlights wont work now. I looked on line and saw a few other have this issue. I cannot drive at night now.

- Norwalk, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Equinox 6-cyl

Driving on smooth road at about 60 mph when the ignition key fell out of the ignition switch onto the car floor. The switch was still in the run position and I was able to reinsert the key into the switch. The engine did not stop and there were no warning lights. This has happened several times since. Current mileage is 73500. I noticed I can manually pull the key from the switch at anytime. I have not tried to move the steering wheel while moving to see if it will lock when the key is out and the switch is in the run position. It does not lock when the vehicle is stationary and the switch is in the run position with the key out. I had the car into the dealer for a brake issue and in a follow up phone call brought the key issue to the service writers attention. She said to have a new key made by the dealer using the vehicle VIN. I did not do this yet. I have three keys made by local hardware stores all with the same result.

- Largo, FL, USA

Aug 122013

Equinox 6-cyl

The ignition gets hung up and wont allow to start or move ignition switch to turn off unless you giggle it around. This problem is sometimes helped by going to the dealer and getting a new key. This wears out in a few months and the problem returns.

- Griffith, IN, USA

Dec 272012

Equinox 6-cyl

Car will not start unless I change the rear brake fuse. When I change it, it continues to blow out..

- Philadelphia, PA, USA