2005 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Oct 042011

Equinox 6-cyl

It been in Chevy dealer for repair hub replace wind in dealer refund cost.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Oct 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

Key keeps getting stuck in the ignition when trying to remove the key, after months of this and complaining bout it to carmax and them not finding a "problem" the key would no longer work, turn in the ignition. Now the warranty has expired and I have to pay out of pocket for the repair. This is an issue with many Chevy equionxes from 2005-2010.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

May 022013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph over a speed bump, the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes began to pulsate with the illumination of the ABS and traction control warning indicators. The vehicle failed to slow down after repeatedly applying the brakes. The emergency brake was engaged in order for the vehicle to stop. The vehicle was able to resume normally and had been taken to four independent mechanics for diagnosis, all of which were unable to locate the cause of the failure. The front brakes, ABS sensors and ABS module were replaced. The problem persisted after the repair was performed. Most recently, a technician informed the contact that problem could possibly be caused by an electrical issue. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Equinox 6-cyl

I stopped at a gas station and shut off truck. Got out and pressed twice on the lock on keyless alarm system. The truck locked but no honk. Came out of gas station and tried to unlock truck with keyless system. Nothing. Had to use key to get in. Put key in ignition to turn on and bing bing bing nothing. No electronics work truck doesn't do anything.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Mar 242006

Equinox 6-cyl

I purchased a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox lt on 7/20/2005 from graff Chevrolet in grand prairie, Texas and have never been notified of recalls ! I spents hours on the phone with GM's customer service trying to get assistance to no avail.. the gmpp didn't help me, just money I paid for nothing!

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jan 222013

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the when attempting to start the vehicle, the key would become resistant to being inserted into the ignition. The contact took the vehicle to a mechanic and was told that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The mechanic also stated that they felt the failure was related to NHTSA recall campaign id number: 04V302 (power train). The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the vehicle was not included in the recall campaign. The failure mileage was 166,000 and the current mileage was 167,000.

- Philidelphia, PA, USA

Sep 032012

My remote would not lock the doors. Replaced batteries. It would lock and unlock once. Then nothing. Fuse blown. Replace fuse. Work once, blow fuse. Took to dealer after 3 months of not being able to access my trunk space, you can't open from inside or outside without remote. A wire inside the passenger door had somehow been severed"?? how does that happen. $685 to fix.... next huge issue: Driving down road.. front end gone???" struts, links...$1100 car won't start...have to give it gas, seen a lot of these with no idea what's wrong. Well dealership says its fuel pressure sending unit, bad injectors... grand total to fix $2000.. in what world should a vehicle that does not even 100K miles on it have so many costly fixes......I looked on here to see if anyone else is having the starting issue.. seems to be a lot of people.

- Rochester, NH, USA

Oct 012008

I am experiencing serious water leaks in my 2005 Chevrolet Equinox AWD lt. Whenever it rains, water accumulates in the spare tire well and overflows onto the floor under the rear seats. It also creates a disturbing short out of the speaker system. The carpet smells and I am very concerned about mold, as well as fire from the electrical shorting out. Another issue is that it causes the windows to fog up, especially when I run the heater to try to dry it out.

- Newcastle, CA, USA

Aug 142012

Equinox 6-cyl

My Equinox has trouble starting and it will turn over until you give it some gas, I've been reading on consumer reports and this is a common occurrence with most Equinox's. I was at the grocery store the other day and heard the same problem with another that was parked some what close to mine as well.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jun 202012

Driving down the highway at about 55-60mph when the car dies. Started running again a few seconds later but then died again. Pulled over could not get it started, but started to smell something burning. Popped the hood to find the main fuse box bellowing smoke, thankfully it was raining so I let the rain cool it down. I figured this was better than it eventually catching the entire vehicle on fire as my wife and 3 kids were in the car. After the smoke stopped, the car repeatedly tried to start itself without the key being present in the ignition. It eventually stopped doing this but the dash lights would randomly flicker in unison. All electrical components were still operational (radio, lights, signals, wipers, etc...) but again no key was present in the ignition.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Mar 012012

Equinox 6-cyl

The Equinox failed to start up. I waited and tried to start it again and this time gave it a little bit of gas and it started right up. From my research this is an ongoing problem with 2005 Equinox.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Jan 192011

Equinox 6-cyl

Exhaust gas recirculation tube rusted and came apart.

- Stratford, CT, USA

Feb 122010

Equinox 6-cyl

Car doesn't start on first attempt. It tries, then even after I release the key it continues to start, like its stuck, I have to pump the gas to get it to start, and it acts flooded. ABS and traction control lights on. When I press on the brakes it feels stuck at the top and grinds and pulsates even though my brakes are good. I've had my speed sensors replaced twice, problem still ongoing. I have to push with all my weight for the brakes to "break through" what ever its stuck on and work, then they lock up. That's when the ABS/traction control lights come on, then I know the ABS is not trying to work and my brakes will stop me. I've almost crashed into things too many times.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Equinox 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Equinox radio with 6 cd changer. Problem is the cd player works for one minute then stops, it clicks and light blinks but does not play.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 082008

Several times I go to start my Equinox, and it won't start. It seems as if it over starts then shuts back off, then I have to push onto the gas for the vehicle to start most of the time but sometimes it has to sit for a minute for it to even be tried again. I have called around and has this issue looked at but no one seems to know what the issue is, Chevrolet says when it shuts off it's so that the starter doesn't burn up over time, and that's as far as it's gone.

- Crawfordsville, In 47933 Unite, IN, USA

Jan 122009

I bought a 2005 Chevy Equinox with 32K miles on it, soon after my purchase we started having trouble getting the key to turn the ignition over, you could not physically turn the key over, it would get stuck and then it would not come out of the ignition. We have to leave the key in the ignition where ever we go, not very safe for my daughter who drives this car away at college but that has been our only solution so far.

- Clarksburg, WV, USA

Jun 242011

Equinox 6-cyl

This complaint is in regards to the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. This vehicle was purchased used in August 2009 with roughly 42000 miles from carmax in dulles, va. Since the purchase of this vehicle, I have spent nearly 3000 dollars in repairs as it seems that parts are wearing out or malfunctioning far earlier than typical. At about the 60000 mile mark, all four rotors and brakes needed to be replaced due to the rotors being warped. I was told by the mechanic that this is not common and should not have happened at this type of mileage. Cost for this repair was about $500. Tires have needed to be replaced twice since the purchase of this vehicle; once around 60000 miles due to "uneven wear" which was likely a result of the bad rotors, and again around the 100000 mark also for "uneven wear". this cost $400 on each occasion. At the 80000 mile mark a loud knocking noise was heard coming from the front end, and proceeded to get worse up to the 100000 mile mark. Between those mileage marks, the front end began to feel very loose. The problem was that the struts prematurely failed and created a very dangerous driving condition. The cost for this repair was over $1300 and was repaired on June 27, 2011. After doing a bit of research, I discovered that this is a very prominent and common problem for this year, make, and model. On top of these issues, there is also apparently a problem with the rear end as well that is also creating a knocking. Also, the daytime running lights have begun to flash repeatedly and very quickly at random times as well as turning themselves on and off. The cd player also broke. I feel that this is a very unsafe and unreliable vehicle that should be investigated to determine whether this is truly due to "wear and tear", or if this is a factory fault.

- Front Royal, VA, USA

Apr 012005

Equinox 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox lt. I purchased it in March of 2005 and have been the first and only owner of this vehicle. Since April 2005 this vehicle has had trouble starting. I could turn the key to start the ignition and it would stutter and turn off all the way. Sometimes I could not get the vehicle started after several tries unless I pressed on the gas pedal while turning the ignition key. I had it looked at by the Chevrolet dealer but they did not find anything wrong with the car and at the time of turning on the vehicle at the car dealer to try to explain the problem the car turned on without any stuttering. These problems persisted even after having replaced the starter and battery. The dealer could not offer anymore explanations or suggestions. Additionally the key can be removed from the ignition while the car is on and while driving.the key cannot always be removed from the ignition smoothly. Sometimes it gets stuck halfway out and it takes some maneuvering of the key to remove it completely. Now the key will not turn at all in the ignition when trying to start the vehicle. I've tried straightening out the tires before trying to turn the key as well as turning the wheel while turning the key but the key does not turn...updated 06/09/14 updated 06/12/2014

- Shelby, NC, USA

Sep 212010

Equinox 6-cyl

I bought this truck Sept 2010. Its a used Chevy Equinox 2005 from a big "Mazda" dealership here in edinburg, , Texas. I didn't buy it with warranty. After a week of driving it, I had to change the brake pads already. They sensors started messing up within 3 days. But the dealership said they couldn't do anything about it cus I had no warranty. I changed the oil with synthetic oil after a month after hoping it would get better. But it kept on happening all the time until now. Anti-lock brakes and traction control light sensors. They turn on all the time. And the barring vibrates and you can feel it when going slow. I just got it fixed the other day at a famous car repair shop and they told me there's a 50/50 chance that changing the barring will work. But it has happened to other Chevy Equinox 2005/2006 models that they've fixed before with the same problem. I took my chances anyway and I bought a new barring and changed all my 4 tires. After a day the light sensors turned on again and the barring started vibrating again. I called them up they said to go to a dealership. I don't want to take it to a dealership cus my warranty expired already and I know they're goin to charge more. I'm not sure if there is a recall on the brakes and sensors on this model that's why im filing a complaint.

- Mcallen, TX, USA

Oct 092010

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox that I purchased used in March 2009 from johnny londoff Chevrolet. I have been taking it to the dealer for regular maintenance and they would say everything is working properly. I've been experiencing alot of problems with this car since I've purchased it. The air didn't work & I paid to get it fixed only for it to go out again. When I start it sometimes it doesn't want to start, I hear noises like it's misfiring when it does start. I recently had the vehicle serviced & had a multipoint inspection & was told again everything is working properly only to be driving home & when I tried to stop the brakes don't work. I could have had an accident & my child was in the car as well. I had it towed back to them to find out what caused this & they said the hub bearing needs to be replaced & the harness needs to be replaced. It's not gonna be cheap to fix as I'm not under warranty. I want this to be investigated as to why this happened without any warning since I've only had the car about 1 year & 8 mos. The mileage when I bought the car was 53010 & since I have had it I'm only at 62567 miles. I need answers just like others experiencing some of the same problems.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA