2005 Chevrolet Equinox electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 092010

Equinox

I have a 2005 Chevy Equinox that I purchased used in March 2009 from johnny londoff Chevrolet. I have been taking it to the dealer for regular maintenance and they would say everything is working properly. I've been experiencing alot of problems with this car since I've purchased it. The air didn't work & I paid to get it fixed only for it to go out again. When I start it sometimes it doesn't want to start, I hear noises like it's misfiring when it does start. I recently had the vehicle serviced & had a multipoint inspection & was told again everything is working properly only to be driving home & when I tried to stop the brakes don't work. I could have had an accident & my child was in the car as well. I had it towed back to them to find out what caused this & they said the hub bearing needs to be replaced & the harness needs to be replaced. It's not gonna be cheap to fix as I'm not under warranty. I want this to be investigated as to why this happened without any warning since I've only had the car about 1 year & 8 mos. The mileage when I bought the car was 53010 & since I have had it I'm only at 62567 miles. I need answers just like others experiencing some of the same problems.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 102010

Equinox

In April of 09 the truck was leaking oil, had head gasket replaced. In June 2010 the engine overheated head gaskets was repaired a second time. When received truck back from dealer truck died on freeway and now it needs new fuse block and main computer. Just paid 2500 in repairs and dealer wants 1500 and cannot tell me if that will fix the current electrical problem. Truck is now worth 3,000. This was a 24,000 truck. This should not be happening.

- Wales, MI, USA

Nov 092009

Equinox

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the vehicle would drive into safe mode and slow down to 10 mph. The traction light, a green engine and an orange engine light illuminated causing the vehicle to decrease in speed. The failure continued to occur intermittently. The failure also occurred while driving through a car wash. The dealer thought that the failure was caused by water making contact with the wiring harness, but that repair did not work. The dealer stated that they would continue working on the failure, but they do not know what caused it to occur. The failure mileage was 67000 and the current mileage was 78000.

- South Lion, MI, USA

Sep 132010

Equinox

Since 2008, I have experienced the following problems with brakes grinding & squeaking even after getting them repaired (front and rear brakes / rotors replaced). A couple of days after rear brakes replaced the ABS & tc lights were on. I had to have sensors replaced. I have also experienced car not starting and sounding like it is flooding, after letting car sit for a few minutes it then starts. There is also a popping noise that comes from the back of car after starting the engine. When changing shift from park to drive car occasionally jerks & shoots forward. When pressing the gas, the car takes a few moments then jerks forward. Now I'm being told that the transmission is going bad & I have to pay $350 for a diagnostic test to determine if they can rebuild the transmission or have to replace it, which will cost between $1800 to $3000. There is a 2005 Chevy Equinox power train: Automatic transaxle recall but my car is not covered. Note: Vehicle has been serviced regularly according to the maintenance schedule timetable provided by the manufacturer.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Mar 022005

Equinox

My 2005 Chevy Equinox tends to stall. The engine light comes on, the tc light comes on, and the engine light with a down arrow comes on. This usually happens after it rains. I have taken it to the dealership many times for this problem, and the first time they just reset the computer. The second time they said it was a leak in the sunroof that leaks down to the computer wires. This is a Chevy problem from the day we bought the car. Now the car is out of warranty, and it will cost too much to fix. Usually I can turn off the engine and turn it back on and it fixes it self, but sometimes I have to wait till it stops raining and let the car dry out. Now the engine light stays on, and stalls often. This is a safety issue cause it makes the engine stall while driving no matter what the speed. I have noticed that many others have the same issue, and could cause a wreck in high traffic areas.

- Irwinton, GA, USA

Apr 132010

Equinox 4WD 6-cyl

Brake system failing. ABS and traction system malfunctioning causing ABS system to activate in normal braking situations. Dealer ship said it was a sensor, had it repaired at the tune of $110 system check, $170 hub/sensor assembly purchase. Firestone auto care said it was a faulty wire harness that I am have replace to day to the tune of $250. Per the tech at fire stone this is his third repair of this type, same make and model care. 2005 Chevy Equinox.

- Southaven, MS, USA

Feb 152010

Equinox

Equinox has had power failure while driving 6+ times...all when driving in wet conditions (either raining or having just rained). First time was told by dealership that I drove thru a puddle and got everything wet (I didn't); had something to do with the electrical system replaced. Have taken car back to dealer within the last two months because it happened again, and was told all of my weatherstripping needed replacing B/C that was allowing water in. Had this done. Happened again tonight (wet weather today, but was not raining when I was driving). The other times this has occurred, I've let my Equinox sit where it died for a few days to let it "dry out" and that has worked, but this not exactly the best solution as I don't live in the desert and it does rain here. Chevy dealer of no help; said he agrees there is a manufacturing defect but there is nothing he can do about it. Advised me to call Chevy cs. I have dealt with them before on another Equinox issue and they were of no help. Wish I would have investigated my state's lemon law in time. Sudden and total loss of power is dangerous!!

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

Jan 052010

Equinox

While driving my 2005 vehicle to work noticed a lot of smoke coming out of the front of steering wheel. Had the vehicle taken to the dealership and was told that the power steering parts had to be replaced.

- Houston, TX, USA

Apr 242005

Equinox

I have went through 3 wheel bearings, 2 carrier bearings which took 3 weeks to get from dealer so car was laid up., 2 stabilizer bars, all wiring was corroded and had to be replaced, battery goes dead if door is open for 15 minutes. Sun roof has rattled from day one. Paint is chipping off lift gate and inside back door from day one. Warranty would not cover. My 2005 Equinox is a big piece of junk!!!

- Bergland, MI, USA

Sep 012009

Equinox

The safety(parking) lights front or back do not work, brake lights, turn signals, head lights they all work.

- Torrington, CT, USA

Jan 262009

Equinox

The drivers side window would not operate up or down. Sometimes the widow would go up or down on its own, without operating the switch. The wiring harness in the door was found to be defective. The wires were broken and exposed at the hinge joint. The electrical system was shorting out.

- Saint Michael, MN, USA

Apr 012006

Equinox

Oil light stays on and goes away after a few minutes of driving. Everytime I change my oil I reset it like the dealer tells me to but it still does this. The dealer cannot understand why it does this. It is annoying to say the least.

- New Hudson, MI, USA

May 122007

Equinox

Severe water leak in 2005 Chevrolet Equinox AWD lt. When operating the vehicle in rain conditions, water accumulates in the spare tire well and overflows onto the floor of the vehicle, even up to the front. It also shorts out the speaker system which crackles and blares out a loud noise even when the radio is turned off. The carpeting becomes soaked when this happens and then the vehicle has a foul odor. A phone call to the dealer resulted in an answer that they have no idea what the problem could be. I fear this water is damaging the electrical parts in the speaker system and may result in a fire. This has been going on for at least two years.

- Riverton, WV, USA

May 032009

Equinox

I have a 2005 Equinox the first model year for this vehicle. I ordered the car new from the factory. At random times when I turned the key in the ignition the vehicle would not immediately start. At other times the car would not immediately shut off when the key was turned off. On May 3, 2009 the vehicle just "died" it would not turn on. I have just over 40000 miles on the vehicle. The electrical goes in and out since the engine will not start. The theft deterrent system seems to be the only thing that works, as it keeps resetting itself after the door is open and closed. I do hear sounds of some type similar to a computer trying to reset or kick in. I tried to jumpstart the vehicle but that did nothing. The engine will just not turn over. Towing it to the dealer tomorrow. Of course this is a major hazard since it was so random, without any real warning today, as I had driven it only 10-15-minutes before and had just returned home and was attempting to move car so that I could cut the lawn and it was inoperable.

- Flint, MI, USA

Dec 182005

Equinox

Have to wiggle key when taking it out of ignition or it will get stuck. Starting doing this shortly after buying it in 2005.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Oct 202008

Equinox

A few months ago my husbands mother drove his 2005 Chevy Equinox to the store and the battery died. They jumped the car and everything has been fine until a few days ago. We had to jump start my husbands car a few days ago and that is when he said something about the cd player staying on after the car was off. When you listen to the cd player it sounds like player is trying to eject a cd but it wont and eventually it says on the screen "cd changer error." It even does this when the vehicle is turned off so it ends up killing the battery. My husband has to unplug the fuse for the cd player or it drains his battery. And still having it unplugged the vehicle has a hard time starting because it is like it can no longer hold a charge. When we mentioned this to my husband's mother she said when it died the time she drove it had said the same thing. I have searched this problem online and many people have the same complaint. One person said that they even replaced the cd player multiple times and every few months it does the same thing. We are going to take the vehicle to the Chevy dealership here and see what they say, but I really feel this is a problem that needs to be looked into because I do not have the money to buy cd players and batteries every few months. The Equinox came out in '05 and it sounds to me like this is an error that they did not fix before production.

- Albany, GA, USA

Sep 182008

Equinox

The driver side window does not work properly and it chooses when to go up and down and also I would have to open the door in order to work the window. Also the stalls on numerous occasion to start. The brakes are brand new and a problems still occurs when trying to stop it shakes even when going a low speed.

- Albany, NY, USA

Jun 012008

Equinox

2005 Equinox with normal driving, mostly highway. Began to hear the typical sounds of a failing bearing prior to 60,000 miles. Vibration in steering, hum present when driving, uneven wear on front tires. Replaced rfhub under warranty at approx. 69,000 miles. Within 10,000 miles that rfhub began to fail, by the time I could get it to the dealership I had surpassed my warranty and the 12 months/12,000 warranty on the installed part via the dealership. Was told that it wasn't out of the ordinary for the part to fail so quickly, which is news to me! how can a bearing fail that quickly and not be defective. Was forced to pay over $500 to replace it. Have complained numerous times about a rattle when going over bumpy roads and received the "we couldn't replicate it" response since initial complaint prior to 60,000 miles. Have heard that the tierods are to blame, have mentioned it, but still deal with this rattle that goes unaccounted. Also have bad electrical that "can't be replicated" at the dealership. Radio and panel in dash flash at random times as if a wire were loose or shorting, loud booming thuds come from the speakers at the same time. Speaker blew in door, but after warranty. Regardless of numerous complaints I would have to pay out of pocket because they couldn't replicate these things when taken in to get looked at. Fuel gage sticks, but either have to pay $120 to possibly correct it with a fuel system cleaner, or pay $700 to replace fuel filter. Such great options. My family has worked for General Motors for years, it's a shame.

- Owosso, MI, USA

Nov 092006

Equinox 6-cyl

Lemon/auto failures, too many items to lst 2005 Chevy Equinox lt.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Dec 062005

Equinox 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Equinox safety issue with the steering. Consumer states that the steering failed completely. Dealer blamed the failure on ice in the wheel well. Then the trouble light illuminated and the issue has not yet been fixed properly. The consumer stated the vehicle had to be towed because it wouldn't start. The dealer cleaned the connector, however the computer did not pick up any diagnostic history, even though the trouble light had been coming on quite consistently. On Feb 25, 2006 the consumer once again lost steering, but regained it and continued to drive. At that time they replaced the ignition switch. The trouble light continued to come on and once again the vehicle would not start. The dealer discovered that by pushing on the fuse box, the vehicle would start and steer. On 2 separate occasions, the consumer became stranded, the doors wouldn't unlock and the vehicle wouldn't start, but the horn worked. The consumer let the vehicle sit overnight and when she came back, the vehicle still would not automatically unlock, she opened the door manually and pounded on the fuse box, and the vehicle started up. The second time the consumer became stuck, pounding on the fuse box did not work and the vehicle didn't start, even though the battery was fine. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, and for the second time, the ignition switch was replaced. As soon as the consumer left the dealer the trouble light illuminated again. The consumer stated the steering continues to go out a couple of times. The consumer also stated the resume button for the cruise control doesn't always work properly.

- Traverse City, MI, USA