2005 Chevrolet Equinox seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Equinox:

2005 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 062016

Driving down street while attempting to turn left heard loud pop and then wasn't able to turn and crashed into tree left fender hood headlight all pushed damage to tire and on top of that airbag didn't implore and hit head on the post

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 152013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the air bag warning light illuminated and the service engine warning light randomly flashed. The dealer was notified of the failure, but the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 98,857.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 082015

Airbag light randomly cuts on during use of the vehicle. It can randomly turn on automatically when ignition is turned on during initial powering up of vehicle before driving vehicle as well.

- Greenville, OH, USA

Feb 172015

On 2/17/15, I, along with 3 of my children, were driving along the roadway at approx. 7am. As I went around a minor bend in the road, the vehicle pulled hard to the left slamming the driver's side into the snowbank around the guardrail. It continued moving forward as I attempted to apply the brake and lightly move the wheel to get us back into our lane. The vehicle pulled to the right and as I tried to straighten it up, I was sent into a spin until the rear of the vehicle slammed into the snow on our side of the road, bringing us to a stop. No air bags deployed & as I tried to pull away, I realized the vehicle was not on. It had shut itself down. I had my brother look at it & test drive, he found nothing, so I assumed it was a 1 time event and proceeded to use the vehicle. On 2/22/15, my nephew and my daughter used the vehicle to go to town. He got less than 3 miles from home, heading down the mountain, when he realized there was little to no steering. He looked down & saw that once again, the vehicle had shut itself off. He too ended up crashing. Luckily he was able to get it to the opposite side of the rd, into the snowbank just before a semi went speeding by. Again, no airbags deployed. It concerns me with the massive recall that I found online, that this vehicle is not on the list, but many ppl seem to be having the same issue. Luckily no one was injured in our incidents. But these vehicles are not safe & should not be on the roads in this condition. We were very fortunate that both incidents were during a clear spot in traffic. Now the vehicle site in my drive because I do not trust that whatever they do will fix it & I cannot in good conscience pass this death trap on to anyone else. I contacted GM hoping for a bit of help & perhaps an investigation into the safety of the vehicles, but they refused.

- Morris, PA, USA

Nov 122014

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while park, the shift lever independently shifted into drive causing the vehicle to crash into the driver's side of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no injuries and a police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 166,000.

- Reed City , MI, USA

Oct 042014

Equinox 6-cyl

Vehicle was hit on the driver's side at the front door. Vehicle went right after impact at full throttle into a 12 ft ditch. Turned 90 degrees out of the ditch, came out of the ditch, across a 4 lane road. Front left wheel caught on a curb, vehicle still a full throttle with driver trying to brake. Veered to the left, jumped a 2 ft ditch, went to the right, hit a 3 ft rock, knocked the rock into the ditch and car ended up on top of the rock. Air bags did not deploy at this this. Vehicle traveled approximately 953 ft at full throttle before hitting the rock. GM had replaced the ignition switch once under policy vehicle would not come out of gear when parked sometimes. Even after replacing ignition switch we continued to have problems removing key from ignition. Nationwide insurance has possession of the car and is paying an outside vendor to down load the data from this accident. GM was called an we got one phone call back about this accident a week ago. Do have pictures and video from the accident scene. Also have a diagram of the distances the car traveled while changing directions after being hit. Best time to call is between 10am and 1pm as I drive a school bus and can not talk. Or after 6pm to 9pm.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Sep 112014

I hit a pole and the airbags did not deploy, but I hit the pole a little off the center on the front end I don't know if that matters I'm very upset with this and I guess there's not much I can do my car was totaled.

- Dickson City, PA, USA

Oct 312005

Equinox 6-cyl

Driving down street cut off by semi ran into flashing sign with nowhere else to go. Over half passenger front bumper was crushed radiator smashed, whole front passenger quarter smashed. Car was undriveable but air bags did not go off.

- Twining, MI, USA

Oct 312004

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 70 mph on the highway, the contact noticed the key was detaching from the ignition. The dealer stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V302000 (power train). While driving 35 mph, the contact was involved in a crash and the air bags failed to deploy. The contact was injured and received medical attention. The vehicle was repaired by the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 70.

- Twining, MI, USA

Nov 132013

Was traveling on the interstate - had an accident and the airbag did not deploy - going approximately 65 - slammed brakes - got rear-ended and then rear-ended person in front of me - airbag never deployed.

- Greenville, FL, USA

Jun 092010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the power steering and brakes failed. The contact crashed into a median and rolled over. The air bags failed to deploy upon impact and the power windows failed to open. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries to the neck and shoulder. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Warsaw, VA, USA

Jan 142013

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while parked, the air bag warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. Additionally, there was a loud bang heard from the front end of the vehicle followed by a clunking noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The technician stated the rack and pinion and steering shaft would have to be replaced. The air bag failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Olean, NY, USA

Dec 152012

I was driving, hit ice, fish tailed, started to spin, went head first into the median, probably going 30-45 mph. After that we came to a stop, and were hit by a semi trailer traveling at approximately 45-60 mph. Neither impact set the air bags off and we believe that it should have.

- Ephrata, WA, USA

Dec 132011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact was driving 30 mph when a deer jumped a fence and landed on the hood of the vehicle with extreme force. The contact stated the engine continued to run but the interior and exterior lightning failed. The air bags also failed to deploy. The police were not contacted and there were no injuries. The vehicle was taken to a local repair shop and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and the current mileages were 73,000. Updated 01/10/12

- Wapwallopen, PA, USA

Jul 012011

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing nor was the vehicle repaired. The failure mileage was 127,000 and the current mileage was 128,000.

- Painesville, OH, USA

Oct 202010

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the air bag light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the front impact sensor was defective. The failure mileage was approximately 68,000 and the current mileage was 73,542. Updated 02/08/11 updated 02/14/11

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Jul 252010

2005 Chevy Equinox 65000 miles, started one day and airbag light came on. Took to dealer and was told the sensor needed to be replaced at a cost of $600 or airbag would not deploy.

- Villa Park, IL, USA

Dec 122009

Accident of Chevy Equinox in the hov lane of southbound 405 freeway hitting the hov K-rail and turning onto its side. Equinox was totaled none of the air bags deployed front or side upon impact. Reported to GM, no action taken by GM.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Jun 112010

2005 Chevy Equinox, 80,000 miles. Airbag light came on & continued to stay on while driving. Took to dealership, was told that the airbag front sensor module is bad & not covered by warranty. $450 dollars to replace. If not replaced airbags will not work in a crash.

- Fairfield, IA, USA

Oct 222009

It was raining, traffic ahead was coming to a stop as I was braking to a complete stop my 2005 Equinox Chevrolet was rear end by a Ford mustang, pushing me into the Honda Pilot in front of me. My airbag did not inflate nor deplore, but my vehicle sustained severe damage to the front & the Pilot I was pushed into sustained back damage as well. My vehicle was deemed total loss by the liable insurance company unitrin.

- League City, TX, USA