CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2006 Equinox is plagued by a heating problem, as in the heater only blows cold air.

The reported cause of this problem is a small door, known as the air temperature blend door, which allows air to flow past the heater core. This door has a plastic connecting shaft to an electric motor and the shaft is prone to breaking after a few years. The problem has a typical repair cost of over $800.

The 2006 Equinox also has a number of reported problems ranging from the key getting stuck in the ignition, to failing speed sensors, and trouble starting the engine. All in all, this car sounds like one worth avoiding.

8.9

$1,373.00

1. replace both head gaskets in engine (6 reports)
2006 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chevrolet Equinox:

2006 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Mar 212014

Equinox V6

2006 Equinox overheated causing car to quit on interstate, had to be towed, rent a car, rent a motel room, had my car towed to Chevrolet Service Tallahassee, was told that had head gasket problem estimated cost $2400.00 if no other problems. So I had car towed home, had to pay for trailer and gas, took to local mechanic and he verified what Chevrolet Dealer had said estimated cost at this point $2000.00, may be more if other damages found.

Researched online, found there are multiple complaints regarding this problem for this year Equinox. Called GMC and was told had I took it to Chev. dealership they might/could have helped me get discount but could not help me because I took it to a local mechanic. This car is a big danger for me and my grand kids. I could have been killed, we barely made it off the interstate. GMC needs to step up to the plate and take responsibility.

- , Milton, FL, mexico

Jan 032014

Equinox V6

As a proud owner our 2006 Equinox (we brought new) we went in for what we thought was a simple repair with a rough idle in the morning. We were Shocked to learn our engine needs to be broken down to inspect the block and cylinder . We service our vehicle on a regular base and is very saddening to learn your engine components fail at 100,000 miles. I'm sure after making automobiles for almost 100 yrs this must be a defect part of some type. Please help us with this situation because we don't have $2,000.00 for this repair cost on our vehicle.

Making cars for almost 100 years how come the foreign automobile makers can get it right and their engine double the life of an American car? Whats wrong with this picture?

- , Lake Elsinore, Calif, USA

Oct 042013

Equinox

Car was really shaky first thing in the morning...head was cracked.

- , New Baden, IL, USA

Aug 092012

Equinox LS 3.4L

It is now June of 2013 and the head gasket has started leaking for the second time. I cannot afford to spend another $1000.00 to repair this vehicle. I have been a Chevrolet customer for 46 years. I currently own three. A 96 pickup, 03 pickup and the Equinox. I have been driving the 03 pickup with no working speedometer for almost three years. Chevy issued a notice that they would fix the problem but waited until they were sure that 90% of the vehicles were past there 75,000 mile restriction on the repair. Chevrolet just chooses to ignore all of the customers that bought the 06 Equinox. I replaced wheel bearings at 37,000 miles and the air conditioner has not work correctly since the vehicle had 20,000 miles on it, and now the head gaskets are blown again. I simply can no longer afford General Motors. I will never have another new General Motors vehicle in my driveway. I have always stressed Buy American but Japan here I come, along with all of my family and anyone else I have an opportunity to talk to.

- , Kountze, TX, USA

Mar 072012

Equinox LX V6

I BOUGHT THIS EQUINOX IN THE HOPES IT WOULD BE A RELIABLE VEHICLE DURING MY RETIREMENT. I WAS SAVING IT FOR MY RETIREMENT CAR. MY 2002 CAVALIER WAS A GOOD CAR,

SO CHEVROLET HAD GAINED MY TRUST. MY DAUGHTER AWAY FROM HOME HAD A NEED FRO A CAR, SO I LOANED HER MY CAVALIER, BECAUSE I HAD THIS EQUINOX TO USE. IT SEEMS THAT

IT STARTED WITH A BAD GAS CAP AND LIGHT, AND WENT TO THE ENGINE ACTING SLUGGISH, TO

A CAR HAVING

FUEL OR ELECTRICAL HICCUP . I HAVE WENT TO DEALER TO DEALER, I NEED GM MOTORS TO HELP ME!

- , Wedowee, AL, USA

Oct 012012

Equinox LS 3.4L V6

Mechanic says head gasket, tears it apart and says he can't tell where the gasket went bad. So he decided to send out the head for pressure testing without telling me of the additional 400 dollars. They said it was good and did some machine work to the head. the 1200 estimate ended at 1900 after a new water pump and head testing.

- , Avonmore, Pennsylvania, USA

Jun 292012

Equinox LS V6

This is the second time this has happened. I had the head gasket replaced less than a year ago. Now the vehicle is doing the same thing. It is idling rough and now getting hotter than normal. Chevy really has to do something about this.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 122011

Equinox LS V6

The vehicle would start rough after sitting for a while (coolant going into the piston). And after it burned it off, it would run fine. Did know about the problem until the vehicle starting running hotter than normal. Then I find out that the head gasket bad, after reading some post about Chevy's V6's having the head gasket problem. Hopefully Chevy would at least offer discounted head gaskets to customers.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 302011

Equinox

I bought a used 2006 Chevy Equinox about 3 years ago. Started having problems with: losing antifreeze, milky substance on oil cap, temperature gauge would spike up to the red when idling or in park, heater would only blow cold air. It only has 75,000 miles and just found out that I had a blown head gasket. After doing lots of research online, it seems like there is a problem with GM's engines and blown head gaskets. Cost of the repair, $1700.00 and out of warranty!!! Tried talking to GM headquarters and did not get any help. I was told by a family owned mechanic that a dealership would replace it with the same parts that caused it to go wrong in the first place. I will never buy another GM car again... they were not willing to do anything to help with the problem!!! And they definitely know that there is a problem with the gaskets!!! Wish I would of known that when I bought the car!

- , Cottage Grove, MN, USA