2007 Chevrolet Equinox brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox:

2007 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Mar 032010

I have owned this vehicle since 2009 and have had multiple issues, recurring frequently. The 2 main concerns are stuck key in ignition and stabilitrack and electrical malfunctions. There is a definite issue with the ignition in these vehicles, not only does my key get stuck, it has also been knocked out when hitting a bump. I own a cobalt too that has been recalled and my Equinox has the same issues with ignition this is dangerous and frustrating!! in addition, my stabilitrack has been serviced twice since I have owned. The electrical system goes crazy and lights up with airbag service, stabilitrack service and ABS brake warnings. I just spent 600 on brakes and rotors and it still lights up. The car has been checked and none of these warnings are accurate. These lights come on and off randomly and have for years. The fuel gauge will rotate backwards. The oil indicator that tracks oil life resets itself at random. I am angry! these issues need addressed. Are we not taken seriously because no one died" there are multiple complaints of the same nature as mine and yet no recall" sad that action is taken only after someone is killed! GM needs to do right by people who spend their hard earned money to purchase these vehicles. I have always been pro Chevy but not anymore. Their customer service and quality sucks.

- Canton, OH, USA

Jun 102014

On two occasions the power steering has gone out while I started my car. Each time this occurred I was unable to steer the vehicle. It was very dangerous to drive as it was very difficult to make right and left hand turns.

- Springfield, VA, USA

May 072014

Equinox 6-cyl

The engine light on and stabilitity trak needs service?

- Corpus Christi, TX, USA

May 102014

Car would not start even though the battery was full. Warning light said "stabiltrak" not working. Have to have the car towed in to repair/replace all electrics in the steering column.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jan 312014

The vehicle just started to slow down, it was difficult to steer to get off the road. It felt like the car was locking up. There was a strong burning smell. I was concerned that there would be a fire. The vehicle would not go backward or forward. A tow truck had to be called. The diagnosis was the power brake booster, which they replaced. Two weeks later the car locked up again. Now they are saying the entire braking and stabilizer system has to be replaced.

- Holley, NY, USA

Jan 282014

Equinox 6-cyl

The traction engine and stability error message stay illuminated on my car.the other day I was at an intersection where the cross traffic doesn't stop. When I decided to go the car would hardly move almost leaving me in the middle of the road where I could have been hit. This has happened several times, it feels as if it's a five sped and your trying to take off in 3rd gear...very dangerous! I took it to a Chevy dealer but they couldn't clear the codes. Sometimes the car has power and sometimes it don't. this is my 16 year old daughters car and she drives my other 4 girls to school. I give her my car because I know this isn't safe. I see there are hundreds if not thousands of people who are having these issues. This needs to be addressed before somebody dies! I have only owned this vehicle for 4 months, this is my 2nd Chevy I have owned and it will most certainly be my last.

- Columbus Jct, IA, USA

Feb 102014

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving and all of a sudden the steering got really hard I've been doing research and it appears there has been more cars like mine with the same problem definitely there should be a recall of somewhat plus the dealership is charging me $750 for repairs.

- Kerman, CA, USA

Dec 022013

I took my car into a power Chevrolet dealership back in September, they said there had been a recall for the coils/spark plugs. They fixed the issue, as my car had been stalling as I accelerated. Now, recently my electric stability traction light came on, along with my engine and "service brakes" light. I had my brakes done back in October at the same time as they replaced the coil. My car is starting to stall and do the same as it was back in October. I am not sure why Chevy is not recalling or sending out notices about these issues. It's hazardous. I contacted a lawyer.

- Canoga Park, CA, USA

Nov 062013

Equinox 6-cyl

Once again, driving on a busy highway my stabilitrac light came on and my engine was powered down. My vehicle is once again in the shop having the throttle bottle replaced. The first time this happened, the mechanics just cleaned the part, this time it is being replaced. When your vehicle powers down, you lose the ability to safely maneuver your car- potentially causing an accident.

- Selinsgrove, PA, USA

Oct 182013

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving home from work on a busy interstate going nearly 60 mph when my traction control light came on, I lost engine power, my car jerked because of this and I was nearly hit from behind. This is a huge safety problem and should be fixed. After reading other complaints about the same issue, when is GM going to do something about this obvious problem for the consumer?

- Selinsgrove, PA, USA

Jan 282013

Equinox 6-cyl

On 1/28/13 I replaced the throttle body at GM certified dealer. Truck was diagnosed with code P2135 for failed throttle body and connector. While driving my 2007 Chevy Equinox it displayed service traction control, service stabiltrak, engine power reducing and check engine light. On 7/5/13 I returned my truck back to the dealer. They diagnosed the truck again and replaced the part a second time. Now on 8/19/13 the truck was back at the dealer for third time and same issue. Dealer diagnosed my truck and could not find anything wrong at the time after I complained of same issue displayed on vehicle. 9/11/13 the service traction control/stabiltrak with check engine came on again. I took the truck back to the dealer and showed them video of the problem happening. This time they said they would diagnosed it and get to the bottom of my complaint. I called GM that day complaining of the same issue from last month. GM reopened my case and said it would be transferred to another department level. The dealer called me later in the day and replaced the throttle body and connectors free of charge again. Every time while driving this truck I was traveling with my children and almost had accidents with this. This is unsafe and GM needs to have a recall on this part and model of truck. Some thing has to be done before it becomes fatal!!! hopefully this time the problem is corrected.

- River Grove , IL, USA

Jun 122013

First incident: Stabilitrac control error. No codes stored! several calls & communications pointed to the egr valve. Replaced that ~ $79. Seemed fine.... weeks later, stabilitrac error and loss of power steering while driving. Not good. Almost had an accident! still no error code !!!! could not track anything down... put vehicle in shop. They determine that it was the power steering position sensor. Getting fixed @ $650+ price tag. Can't believe this is not a recall safety item since it seems to be happening no only to me. Please research problem and help recoup some of the $$$$. I don't mind paying for work and real identifiable problems, but this is ridiculous considering the safety involved.

- Newark, DE, USA

Jun 172013

Equinox 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Chevy Equinox I was on the highway when my SUV steering wheel got very hard on me, couldn't even move it at all, I got very scared got of the freeway. I parked to the side to see what was wrong waited for a bit started with my vehicle again but couldn't move the steering wheel very hard to move by that point I just wanted to go home, no lights came on to warn me of problem. Then the tracking control and stability lights came on after 45min. Got home parked the vehicle. Next day the steering wheel was ok everything seemed ok. Today (06/25/2013) same problem steering wheel very hard couldn't turn left nor right almost had an accident. Took it to car dealer Chevrolet was diagnose with power steering module control price $798.50 this definitely needs to be a recall. Help

- Kingsville, TX, USA

Sep 272012

Equinox 6-cyl

I noticed a gas smell when I got out of my car and when it is parked in my driveway. I took it to the dealership where I bought the car and they looked at it for me. They told me the gas tank was leaking a little bit from the top of the tank. I then did some research and found out that there is a recall on the fuel pump for the same reason. I live in Kentucky and the recall is in the western states. Why is it only in those states it is a defect in the part itself and I feel as if it should be replaced just the same as the others. Also I am having a problem with the stabilitrack in my vehicle. A warning will appear on the dash that states service stabilitrack, stabilitrack off, and then it will state engine power reduced and the engine will reduce power. I have seen a lot of complaints online about that as well.

- Lawrenceburg, KY, USA

Apr 192012

Equinox 6-cyl

We were traveling 3-28-2013 and were about a hundred miles from our destination when the service stabilitrac, service traction control and check engine light came on. Less than a year prior to this on 4-19-2012 we had a similar incident, which happened to be the power steering control module. We made it home 4-2-2013 and took it to the shop and found out the egr valve need replacing. I replace the egr valve and cleared the codes. All was well till 4-7-2013 when the service stabilitrac and service traction control lights came on again. I have not had a chance to look into this.

- Marshall, MN, USA

May 052008

Equinox 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact started the ignition and the front passenger side air bag warning indicator began to illuminate continuously. The passenger seat was occupied at the time of the failure. The warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The failure recurred when the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer seven times for the failure. The technician was unable to duplicate the problem.the contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 07V344000 (air bags:frontal:sensor/control module) but was advised that the VIN was not included in the recall. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 24,283. Updated 12/21/12 updated 1/9/2013

- Windham, OH, USA

Nov 112011

Getting back onto the interstate the door locks started clicking and the speedometer hand starts going haywire. In the weeks and months to come now the AWD, traction control, service engine soon lights come on. The steering wheel jerks, weird noise goes through the speakers and all gauges and door locks go haywire. Has been put on a machine but no codes come up for the mechanic.

- Bloomington Springs, TN, USA

Apr 092012

Equinox 6-cyl

We have a 2007 Equinox that the power steering quit working. Prior to the power steering going out, the service stabilitrak light would come on at random times for no apparent reason. I contacted a dealership and they told me it was possible that there could be corrosion on the connectors for the sensors for the stabilitrak. When the power steering quit working, I did some research and found that others were having similar issues, so I contacted GM who wanted me to have the vehicle diagnosed to see if there was anything they could do. The diagnosis was the power steering control module. After a week and a half of talking to GM they said, due to the age and mileage on the vehicle there was nothing they could do. Due to the number of customer complaints, we then asked them have they done anything to fix the problem with the control module. They couldn't give us an answer. We aren't going to continue to pay for control modules because they can't fix the issue. Thank god my 7 month old child was not in the vehicle with me at the time of the failure.

- Marshall, MN, USA

Mar 022012

I was coming upon a stop sign, it was snowing outside so I was driving quite cautiously. As I came to the stop sign I slid a bit and then the SUV lost all traction and the brake light, ABS light, service stability control, and service traction control lights all came on. I then pulled over to the side of the road restarted the SUV and all lights came back on and I had no antilock brakes, stability control, or traction the rest of the way home. It was terrible. I have never felt like I had no control of a vehicle like that before. I parked it in the garage at home and the next day started it again. All lights went off and it was fine until snowfall today. The same thing happened when my husband was driving it. We have tried starting it again but the lights have not yet went out. I will be bringing this to the dealership first thing Monday morning with hopes it doesn't cost me too much to get it fix. I fear for others that will have this same problem. I have always bought Chevrolet but this has definitely made me think twice about buying yet another vehicle from them. I would definitely consider this an incident that should have been recalled. I have researched it online and many people have had this same problem.

- Green Bay, WI, USA

May 042011

I have had several issues with my vehicle. The service stabilitrak light will come on and it will also say service traction control. Within seconds the check engine will come and the car says engine power reduced. I have to pull over let the car sit for a few minutes and then the stabiltrak will reset itself but the check engine light still stays on for awhile. I was driving on the freeway and this happened and it is a safety issue. I have taken it to a GM dealer and they cant seem to find the problem. They recommended trying to fix something and it could possibly work but no guarantees because they couldn't find any errors at the time. Now the vehicle is out of warranty and they wont help with the issue. It is documented and has been in the shop for this while under warranty.I feel they need to help in this matter.

- Cedar Lake, IN, USA