2.7

2007 Chevrolet Equinox steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox:

2007 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Feb 102014

Equinox 6-cyl

I was driving and all of a sudden the steering got really hard I've been doing research and it appears there has been more cars like mine with the same problem definitely there should be a recall of somewhat plus the dealership is charging me $750 for repairs.

- Kerman, CA, USA

Jun 172013

Equinox 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Chevy Equinox I was on the highway when my SUV steering wheel got very hard on me, couldn't even move it at all, I got very scared got of the freeway. I parked to the side to see what was wrong waited for a bit started with my vehicle again but couldn't move the steering wheel very hard to move by that point I just wanted to go home, no lights came on to warn me of problem. Then the tracking control and stability lights came on after 45min. Got home parked the vehicle. Next day the steering wheel was ok everything seemed ok. Today (06/25/2013) same problem steering wheel very hard couldn't turn left nor right almost had an accident. Took it to car dealer Chevrolet was diagnose with power steering module control price $798.50 this definitely needs to be a recall. Help

- Kingsville, TX, USA

May 252013

Equinox 6-cyl

On Saturday May 25, 2013 my 2007 Chevrolet Equinox would not start. The key had gotten stuck in the ignition and I did not remove it and I think that killed the battery. I tried to jump start the car with no success. Finally on Sunday May 26,2013 I had a professional come jump start it. After it started the power steering went out and the stabilitrak warning light came on. This has never happened before and I don't know what's causing it. I read in the forum that there were several other Equinox's with the same problem. I think it should be a recall.

- Fort Wayne , IN, USA

Mar 262013

Equinox 6-cyl

The power steering computer modular failed on 3/26/13. There was no warning or recall for this problem. This was unexpected and caused me a great deal of stressed. I had to spend a lot of money to fix the problem. This vehicle alerts me on everything else, such as low gas, change oil, etc...yet it do not alert me of a major problem?

- College Park, MD, USA

Jan 092013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that after starting the vehicle, the power steering suddenly failed. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was not available. The VIN was not available.

- Sparks, NV, USA

Jan 042013

Equinox 6-cyl

I was attempting to make a right hand turn from a parking lot onto a main street. The steering wheel would not turn without great force and I ended up on wrong side of road. I got the car to a repair place and was told the power steering motor had burnt up and the stabilizer light had just came on. This happened without any forewarning. I was lucky there was not any traffic or I would of been involved in a head on collision. I now understand this is very common with this vehicle and should of been a recall by General Motors. The danger this could cause as it occurs with no warning at all. My cost to repair this was $1400.

- Calhoun, GA, USA

Nov 092012

Equinox 6-cyl

First off, I love my vehicle. I bought it used 1/11, have had it less than 2 years. I've already had to have a complete transmission replacement earlier this year, and now this. Upon purchase, mileage was 85K. Mileage is currently approx 94K. Therefore, these damages are not by fault of heavy driving, etc... on Friday, 11/9/12, I drove about 5 miles from my home to take my son to a job interview in a mall plaza. I pulled into a parking spot, turned the car off and waited while he went inside. Approx 20 mins later he came out. I started the vehicle and pulled out of the parking spot. As I was leaving the mall parking area, driving through the lot, all of a sudden I had no control of the steering. It "froze up" and wouldn't steer. Luckily, I was able to brake and not crash into any cars around me. I was horrified! this has never happened to me before with any other vehicle, ever! after I realized it was a steering issue and nothing involving the engine, etc.. I was able to pull into another parking space(barely able to steer)to sit safely and wait for help. I first called a friend to bring me power steering fluid, thinking that was the issue. But, upon waiting for them to arrive I researched and saw other complaints that it does not take fluid, instead there is a "steering motor". I then called aaa, not knowing how safe/unsafe it was for me to chance driving home. I had aaa tow my vehicle to my home. My vehicle has been sitting in my driveway since then. I am a single parent and it's hard enough financially trying to make it day to day, let alone enduring unnecessary car repairs back to back on a vehicle I purchased due to the upstanding reputation of Chevy cars. I am appalled that there is no recall for this apparent defect and no care from Chevy for safety of its drivers/owners! I am extremely disappointed and want something done. Asap.

- Carnegie, PA, USA

Nov 012006

Equinox 6-cyl

The second day we owned the car, I started it, put it in drive and had no power steering. The car dealership said that nothing showed up on the car's computer. It has happened intermittently for 6 years. When it happens, I shut the car off and re-start it and the power steering works.

- Fulton, NY, USA

Apr 092012

Equinox 6-cyl

We have a 2007 Equinox that the power steering quit working. Prior to the power steering going out, the service stabilitrak light would come on at random times for no apparent reason. I contacted a dealership and they told me it was possible that there could be corrosion on the connectors for the sensors for the stabilitrak. When the power steering quit working, I did some research and found that others were having similar issues, so I contacted GM who wanted me to have the vehicle diagnosed to see if there was anything they could do. The diagnosis was the power steering control module. After a week and a half of talking to GM they said, due to the age and mileage on the vehicle there was nothing they could do. Due to the number of customer complaints, we then asked them have they done anything to fix the problem with the control module. They couldn't give us an answer. We aren't going to continue to pay for control modules because they can't fix the issue. Thank god my 7 month old child was not in the vehicle with me at the time of the failure.

- Marshall, MN, USA

Dec 082011

Equinox 6-cyl

I took my car in for inspection and general maintenance. For almost a year and a half I'd been getting an intermittent stabilitrak alarm. It would reset itself upon restart.. at the dealer (tom clark Chevrolet, mckeesport, pa.) the power steering locked up. The service manager informed me that the power steering motor had failed. My out-of-pocket expense for replacement is $480. Apparently my warranty does not cover the expense. My gut feeling tells me the whole stabilitrak/ power steering motor issue has been known from day one and I should not have been responsible for payment on defective parts/design.

- Duquesne, PA, USA

Dec 092010

Equinox 6-cyl

At least 10 times over the course of the past year, the key would not turn the ignition and sometimes the key gets stuck. After numerous attempts of jiggling the key and trying to move the steering wheel (which seems to be locked when this happens) I get the key to turn. I just took it to the dealer two months ago and they said everything was working as normal. If this is normal, what is abnormal? this happened to my sister's aveo and they replaced her ignition, but her key still gets stuck sometimes.

- Andover, NJ, USA

Jun 032011

Equinox

2007 Equinox Chevrolet - the ignition has been locking up and key could not be removed. Dealership has replaced ignition three times and it still locked up. Today the wheel is locked, the gear shift is locked up and nothing will move. They are sending a tow truck to haul it into the shop again. My complaint is not the dealership it is Chevrolet. The internet lists thousands of Equinox's with the same issue and a recall should have been done to pull these in and fix the issue once and for all at no cost to the consumer. I think it is time for a class action suit against Chevrolet. My issue has been ongoing for since this past winter.

- Kaysville, UT, USA

Sep 192011

Equinox 6-cyl

I got into my car after grocery shopping. I started the car, put the car in reverse and tried to turn. My car was very difficult to turn, so I checked my rpms to make sure my car was actually started. The space in front of me was empty, so I pulled forward and tried to turn again. My car wouldn't turn at all, so I called my husband and he came and drove my car home. We live only a few miles from the store and there is only one turn. He said it took all of his strength to turn into our neighborhood. We had the fuse tested and it is not the fuse.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 232011

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated there was no specific time or speed when the steering would fail. The contact took the vehicle to the mechanic and was told the power steering control module had failed. The contact then took the vehicle to the dealer who confirmed the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage and current mileages were 97,000.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Mar 302011

Equinox 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox with 77,000 miles. After pulling into a parking spot at a retail store, I turned the car off and went inside. Upon returning, after starting the car, I immediately noticed that the steering wheel was virtually immovable. I thought the engine had stalled out but realized that it was still running. Then I noticed the "service stabilitrak" message on the dic. Drove the car home with great difficulty and looked for the cause of the problem. Only after going online and reading about the scores of individual complaints for this power steering failure did I realize that a very serious problem exists. I went to the local dealership for repairs and was told the problem was the power steering control module. After paying the repair costs of over $660 I asked if there were any recalls to cover this major safety issue. The answer was "no". it is seriously unbelievable that such an obviously widespread problem has continued without so much as an acknowledgment from GM that this is a recurring problem in an Equinox. However, I did get somewhat of an acknowledgment from the service person at the dealership who told me that this was a common problem. All in all, probably my last GM purchase.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Oct 012007

Equinox

Engine light turns on and says the stabilitrak needs servicing as well as the traction control and that they are off, also says that engine power is reduced. This has happened about 5 times in the past 2 months and each time that I have an appointment, the light goes off and the dealer says they cannot diagnose without a check engine light on. This concerns me. Autozone hooked up there little gadget while it was on once and indicated that the throttle position sensor may be the culprit, said it came up three times. Power steering column locks up when I turn on vehicle, this has happened a few times in the past 3 years, each time I take to dealer, they cannot duplicate the problem and therefore cannot fix it. I have had vehicle since July of 2007. My current mileage is 42,998 the first error with column started probably in October of 2007 and occurs every so often but by the time I get it to dealer, it cannot be duplicated. What I have to do is turn the car on and off until it "registers" and then the column works otherwise it is very stiff and hard to nearly impossible to turn.

- Rome, NY, USA

Dec 232010

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact was driving 25 mph and attempting to make a right turn when the steering column failed. The contact stated that the steering wheel became extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the dealer advised her that the steering column would need replacing. The manufacture advised that they would take the liability for the parts but the contact would be held responsible for the labor costs. The failure and current mileage was 32,000.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Dec 082010

Equinox

In October 2010 while traveling in Illinois, the vehicle "check engine" light came on. I was told by a dealership in Illinois that nothing was found to trigger the alarm after they ran a diagnostic, and drove the car for a while. A few days later, while driving from Illinois to Colorado, the "service stabilitrack" light came on, but went out after driving for about 60 miles with it illuminated. Again I was told over the phone by the Illinois dealership that it was probably nothing to be concerned with, and it should reset itself. In December 2010, I was unable to drive my car due to the loss of power steering. I received no alarms the previous day, and the car was working properly. The service stabilitrack light remained on at this point. I loss the ability to drive my car safely to the dealership I purchased it at in Colorado. After towing my car to the dealership, I was informed by the service department that the "power steering assist motor" had gone out, and would need replacing at the cost of $1000. I was also told that there were several history codes indicating back to October, that there was a problem with the car. I have just discovered that Chevy has recalled other vehicles with the same problem. This is a dangerous issue that should be addressed as soon as possible!

- Carbondale, CO, USA

Oct 142009

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 55 mph, the steering light illuminated on the dashboard and the steering wheel became very stiff. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where it was repaired. Approximately 1 year later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and it was repaired. Upon receiving the vehicle from the authorized dealer he noticed that the steering service light was still illuminated on the dashboard. The failure mileage was 14,000. The current mileage was 15,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- North Port, FL, USA

Mar 142010

Equinox

I have the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox which been a lemon since new. Among the many breakdowns over the three years the driver side power lock does not work and the most glaring is the sudden failure of the power steering assist motor. My wife was putting air in the tire and the battery failed. The battery needed a sudden recharge. Why pay on a vehicle with constant breakdowns. The repairs alone on the power steering assist motor are over 700 dollars to also get the stabilitrak light off. The recall of the power steering assist motor on the Chevrolet cobalt needs to extend to the Chevrolet Equinox as well. Now with no money to fix the motor, the driving has and is an adventure with no power steering. Even if I could fix the vehicle myself, the part is virtually unavailable.

- Kansas City, MO, USA