2.7

2007 Chevrolet Equinox steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Equinox:

2007 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Oct 082016

Equinox

I was pulling out of a parking spot at walmart and I couldn't turn the wheel

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Oct 092016

Equinox

"takata recall " fuel gage going crazy 10- 16 -2016 steering locked up hard to steer 10-2014 I was driveing anti skid work and does not work. 10-2009 until now while driveing

- Quincy, FL, USA

Nov 102015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that there was an electric power steering failure. The steering wheel seized several times without warning. The dealer was notified of the failure more than once and was not able to replicate or diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no permanent remedy for the condition. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was not available.

- North Port, FL, USA

Dec 152015

Equinox

The cat was paked in the driveway I remote started it and when I finally got to my vehicle to leave the steering wheel was hard to maneuver. Now I recently purchased this vehicle a month ago from a dealership and was given the responsibility to pay for this but to no avail I complained because I am a new owner and that should not be a repair I'm responsible for. But that didn't stop them for making me pay a deductible as if it was normal wear and tear. This didn't sit right on my heart so I figured to do some internet seeking and found there is a recall for this power steering module I'm sure the dealership knew this before selling it to me. Very displeased!

- Saginaw, MI, USA

Oct 272015

Equinox

Over the past few days, my stabilitrak light has come on and off while driving or just sitting in the car. Pulling into my driveway today I noticed that the light came back on for the stabilitrak. I proceeded to drive and then suddenly it became increasing hard to maneuver my steering wheel almost to the point where it felt as if it had locked up on me. I was able to drive the car back home but as I was driving I notice my air bag light came on and will not go off at all. After making it back to into my driveway I cut off the ignition waited a few minutes and turned the car back on to see if this would help either of the problems but to no avail. I have now taken the car to my local Chevrolet dealer and they have informed me that they have sen this issue with a number of Equinox and it is indeed an issue my stabilitrak.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Feb 042015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the steering wheel seized. The contact stated that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle's power settings needed to be reset. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Aug 242015

Equinox

I'm having issues with steering my wheel. It is hard to turn.

- Cassatt, SC, USA

Jun 192015

Equinox

Over the past few days, my stabilitrak light had come on and off while driving or just sitting in the car. Pulling into my driveway today I noticed that the light came back on for the stabilitrak and then it became increasing hard to maneuver my steering wheel. I pulled into my driveway and cut off the ignition waited a few minutes and turned the car back on to see if this would help but to no avail. I have now taken the car to my local Chevrolet dealer.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Mar 092015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 10 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to turn without warning. The vehicle was driven to the contact's residence and was later taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the power steering computer failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Holland, MI, USA

Jun 272013

Equinox 6-cyl

While driving on interstate 95 going 70 mph, the steering locked up and I lost power when all the dash lights started flashing. This was the day after I bought the car from auto showcase of belair md. The power steering going out happened atleast 7 times in the first two weeks alone. I requested for them to take the car back, they refused.. 4 weeks into owning this car the power steering issue was finally resolved.during that time period I found out that the car sold to me was stolen, the dealer did not tell me that and showed me paper work that was not a car fax report. Three months later in October of 2013 my car started over heating and cutting power off to the engine while driving the speed limit on 95. It happened 5 times. A mechanic looked it over and said the head gaskets were blown. After a month it was fixed. One month later in December, my car would shut off on me while driving. I am not joking when I say that happened over 100 times. I have over 20 videos of this happening up until just recently in February of 2015. So the issue now, other than my car just randomly shutting off while driving, is my head gaskets blew again. I have been looking on line and have found this to be a serious problem for thousands of other Chevy Equinox owners! why has this particular model not have recalled!? this model is dangerous to anyone that drives it or just happens to be on the road near them. When my car has shut off on me over 100 times ihave cut multiple drivers off every time trying to make it to the shoulder. This needs to be recalled! this vehicle model is far from safe and I do believe that you know this. You can look up any Chevy Equinox forum on the internet and find these incidents.

- Edgewood , MD, USA

Aug 112014

Equinox 6-cyl

My key keeps getting stuck in the ignition. I literally have to turn my car on and off, move the shifter in and out of park, shake the shifter, take my foot off of the brakes, at least 10-15 times before the ignition will release the key. I tried to make an appt with a Chevy dealership when this problem went public and they cancelled me because my vehicle was not part of the recall. I talked to a representative shakevia with Chevrolet chat and she said that I would have to be responsible for all of the diagnosis and repair fees since my vehicle is not included with the recall. I looked at the recall list and all the vehicles that are on there, the year of my vehicle fits in every single column.

- Merritt Island, FL, USA

Dec 292014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while idle, the power steering failed intermittently. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering module needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,198.

- Dry Fork, VA, USA

Apr 282011

Equinox 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox, and since I bought it, I have had several issues with the power steering. The first time, I started the vehicle and the power steering went out briefly. I had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. Another time, I was on the highway when the steering wheel got very hard on me, and I couldn't move the steering wheel, extremely hard to turn the wheel. When it happens, I shut the vehicle off and re-started it, sometimes the power steering works and sometimes it doesn't. the tracking control and service stabilitrak warning lights came on since the first time. It had happened intermittently for 3 years. Until I took it to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed power steering control module failure. I had to spent a lot of money to fix the problem. Recently, I have had another issue, the key gets stuck. The key will not come out of the ignition when turning off the vehicle. I put the car in park, turn the key off, the engine turns off, but the key will not come out of the ignition. After numerous attempts of jiggling the key and trying to move the steering wheel, I get the key to turn. All this is dangerous and the same time frustrating. Fortunately, I have not been involved in a crash.

- Spring Valley, CA, USA

May 232014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. When the vehicle was started, the stabilitrack warning indicator illuminated intermittently and the contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The dealer stated that the power steering module failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Nov 272014

Equinox

The electronic power steering went out briefly. I managed to get to the side of the road and shut the care off and restarted it and then it seemed to work just fine. It has happened a couple of other times but I was lucky enough to be in a parking lot. I have never seen any recalls on this but I have noticed alot of complaints.

- Roseville, MN, USA

Dec 162014

Equinox

17 yr old daughter driving home from school and power steering failed. Dealer diagnosed problem as a failed power steering module. Cost to replace $730. Seems that with all the complaints and similar recalls on other GM vehicles, GM should issue a recall as this is obviously a known defect and has the potential to result in serious or fatal injury.

- Thorofare, NJ, USA

Nov 302014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. When the vehicle was started, the stabilitrack warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact had to use excessive force to turn the steering wheel. The dealer stated that the power steering module failed and needed to be replaced. The dealer informed the contact that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14E044000 (steering). The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,554.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 162014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving approximately 35 mph, the power steering failed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the electronic fuel pump failed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

I have multiple issues currently and they all seem to be listed on other complaints. 1. the driver side window has completely stopped working. It seems to have become disconnected to the motor as I can hear the motor going up and down within the door. 2. stabilitrak warning and engine light are constantly turning on and off. This has happened on and off over the past year or so but the dealership could not get a reading from the computer. Now it has been on for the past 2 weeks constantly 3. the temperature gauge in the instrument panel does not work. Took it into the dealer and they replaced the thermostat a few days later the gauge went haywire again. It gets worse when I fill up with gas and tends to mirror the gas gauge reading most of the time. 4. the key will not come out of the ignition when turning off the car. This is extremely frustrating. I put the car in park, turn the key off, the engine turns off but the key will not come out of the ignition. Have to turn car back on, put it in and out of park, turn the wheel, back up, drive forward or just sit and wait a few minutes and it comes out. 5. occasionally the electronics go crazy - the turn signals won't work and the radio shuts down. It makes a sound when it does this as well, like a clicking noise but it only lasts for a few seconds and I can't figure out what causes it.

- Belgrade, MT, USA

Sep 022014

Equinox 6-cyl

2007 Chevrolet Equinox power steering control module failure. Service stabilitrak light and message appeared, power steering was working when I parked the car. A few hours later, I cranked the car and the power steering was completely non-functional. Extremely hard to turn wheel, could cause crash when vehicle cannot turn correctly. Took to dealership, technician stated the power steering control module (computer) was bad and needed to be replaced.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA