1.9

2008 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chevrolet Equinox:

2008 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments

Sep 262016

Equinox

Engine light on code says timing chain on 2008 Chevy Equinox 98,000 miles.

- Houghton Lake, MI, USA

Oct 142014

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact previously had the timing chain replaced due to the check engine light being illuminated. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The check engine light was illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the timing chain needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the mileage on the timing chain was not a factor when determining the repair. The approximate failure mileage was 85,000.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Jul 052016

Equinox

My vehicle has 84,000 miles on it. About 3 weeks ago the check engine light came on for code P0008. After further review the dealer discovered I had a stretched timing chain that needed to be replaced at the tune of $3,000. I have changed my oil as stated in the manual and check the oil levels periodically. The service schedule in the manual indicates that the belts need to be checked for wear at 150,000. The timing chain should surely last longer than the belts. Chevy issued a customer service bulletin with regard to premature timing chain wear on all 2008 Equinox's except the sport (which is what I have). After doing some online digging I have discovered many other people with the 2008 sport that are having the same issue. I contacted GM and they stated since my VIN was not included in the recall there was nothing they could do.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Apr 012016

Equinox

I bought my Equinox in October of 2015. After having it just 6 months and driving it approx. 3,000 miles the head gasket blew. I bought the car with only 70,000 miles on it. I took it to a local auto body shop, and they told me I would need a whole new engine (they suspected stop leak was put in to mask the problem before I purchased the vehicle). They are quoting $3,400 for a refurbished engine (that could run into the same issue) or $5,900 for a new engine. GM has been no help at providing any type of assistance. As I've done more research, I see countless other cases of this happening with low miles. We have always purchased GM vehicles, as my husband's stepdad and uncle were both GM employees. My faith has now been shaken in the company, and I will not be purchasing another GM vehicle anytime soon.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 172016

Equinox

I have a light on saying something is wrong with my airbag.also a tapping in my engine

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Feb 182016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that when turning on the vehicle, the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact continued to drive the vehicle and the vehicle began to emit a fuel odor from the rear passenger side of the vehicle. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer, who repaired the fuel pump module under a coverage from the manufacturer. When diagnosing the vehicle, the dealer stated that the timing chain was stretched and had failed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,050.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Jan 112016

Equinox

Vehicle has 80,000 miles on it and it has a check engine light on with the dtc P0008. This code is in reference to the timing chains needing replaced. There are recalls on other vehicles with this same engine and the exact same code.

- Marion, NC, USA

Jan 122016

Equinox

I have only 73000 miles on 2008 Equinox and the check engine light in indicating the timing chain had to be changed. There is a special coverage bulletin #11340 that covers the 3.6L V6 engines in autos between 2007-2009 but GM is telling me that my 3.6L LY7 engine is not covered I have the sport model.

- Dupo, IL, USA

Oct 232015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that the engine stalled without warning while driving at 30 mph. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The contact replaced the battery; however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 66,000.

- Kingston, PA, USA

Oct 092013

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started, the "stabilizer bar off track" and check engine warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact did not notify a dealer or the manufacturer of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Aug 312015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was informed that the camshaft was misaligned and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Plymouth, MA, USA

Jun 022015

Equinox

My daughter was driving home from a trip when she pulled over to get gas. The driveshaft snapped in half just as she was pulling into the gas station. There was no warning, no sound before then. She had no control of her car. No steering, nothing. She had just pulled off the highway, so thank god it did not happen when she was on the highway going 70 mph or she would be dead. Cost to have towed and fixed over $1000.also prior to this incident, has had several issues with front end. Had to replace the bearings, front axle, tie rods 3 times in the last 2 years due to something wrong with this vehicle and the way it drives or is made. Constant "rubbing, grinding" noise when you turn tires. Gas fumes are very strong in the car, always have been, and repair shops cannot find any leaks. She cannot sell it, as it is worth very little due to all these defects and no recalls, and she is still making payments on this car for the next 4 years. Stuck with a very dangerous lemon.

- Brooklyn, MI, USA

Mar 132015

Equinox

The contact owns a 2008 Chevrolet Equinox. Upon entering and starting the vehicle, the warning indicators illuminated. The contact stated that this was a recurring failure. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing and the technician stated that the timing chain was failing. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacture was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,435.

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Nov 112013

Equinox

Over a year and a half ago I had the engine light come on in my 2008 Equinox. Took it into the Chevy dealer and the diagnostic tool said timing chain/engine position. Here I am today, did not do the $1,600 recommended repair and the car is still driving fine and no issues. The engine light has been reset multiple times only to keep coming back. I also have both headlights filled with moisture and it affects the brightness of the lights at night. Finally, I have had multiple times when the stabilitrac light comes on and then by day end it will be off.

- Howell, MI, USA

Feb 012014

Equinox 6-cyl

While idling hearing very loud clicking noise from passenger side of the car. Opened the hood and found my #1 spark plug jutting in and out of the cylinder head. Also smell burning rubber/gas smell. Very tired of this vehicle and manufacture's unwillingness to say there is major problems with it. This is the 5th issue I have had with the vehicle!!!!!!!!

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 302013

Equinox

Driving down the highway I notice my check engine light was on. I went straight to auto zone and had them hook itup to their diagnostic machine and the code P0455 came back which is an evap problem. I left auto zone and my dash started blinking to tighten gas cap. I pulled over and tightened it, which didn't feel loose in the first place. I went back to autozone and bought another gas cap with the locking mechanism on it. I drove off and it was fine for about 2 days. On my way to work the check engine light came back on and again told me to tighten the gas cap. I took that one off and put the old one back on. The check engine light remains on with the same code. Where is a good place to order a gas cap for my Equinox?

- Luray, VA, USA

Jun 042012

Equinox

While driving my Equinox the check engine and stabilitrak light came on and stayed on. I called the dealership O'rielly Chevrolet tucson AZ, I purchased the vehicle from and they told me I would have to pay them to check it. I went to another repair shop and they did a diagnostic test and said there was a air leak in the fuel line most likely the gas cap. I replaced the gas cap and both lights went off. Then they both randomly came back on. I called O'reilly Chevrolet again they offered to fix charging me what the cost was to fix. I went to a different repair shop and I was told the erg valve was bad so I had that replaced. The stabilitrak light went off but the check engine light came back on. This has gone on for a year. I just received a soft recall notice from GM about a fuel leak and there were three issues showing up. One of the issues is the check engine light on. I took this recall along with my Equinox to O'riellys Chevrolet mechanic tec explained to me that it could be a 50 50 chance it was either my problem or the recall and they would fix it at my cost. Each time I called I was never told at this dealership that my vehicle was under warranty and I would have to pay the cost of the repairs. Now with a recall I still have to pay the part of the repairs. Is this normal?

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 252013

Equinox

The car has been taken to a few shops and I have been told that there is nothing physically wrong with the vehicle. Currently it looks like the PCM/ ECM is failing on the car which has been a reason for a recall of prior year's vehicles. I also have my car that fills up with water every time that it rains.

- Palos Hills, IL, USA