2.5

2010 Chevrolet Equinox drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Equinox:

2010 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Jul 012015

Equinox

For the past several months my car has been doing the following: 1. I start my car, and it will rev like I put my foot on the gas. 2. if I am at a stop light/sign my engine will shake and act like it wants to die, but it doesn't. 2. when I turn my car off, it will continue to run for 1-2 more seconds before completely shutting down. I took my vehicle to my mechanic, and he said that the fuel is leaking into the crank case. I have to have the high pressure fuel pump replaced. Unfortunately I am over the warranty. All out of pocket. This is extremely dangerous, it could cause an explosion, or fire, and needs to be recalled immediately. This could kill someone.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

May 152015

Equinox 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving at approximately 20 mph, the vehicle failed to shift out of second gear and the check engine warning light illuminated. While the contact was driving home, the vehicle failed to shift into the reverse position. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the wave plates failed and the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 92,000. Updated 09/03/15 updated 09/10/15

- Nescopeck, PA, USA

Jun 212015

Equinox

On June 21, 2015 while on my way home from work, I stopped behind a vehicle that was making a left turn. When I went to accelerate, my vehicle acted like it didn't want to shift. The motor revved up instead. I had a vehicle come up behind me and thankfully they were able to drive into the other lane an go around me, otherwise I would have gotten hit. I managed to get it off the road. Had it hauled to the dealer. Today I'm told that the transmission, catalytic converter, and the timing chain are all bad and to replace will be $5500. I just replaced the timing chain Nov of 2014 at a cost to me of $800. The dealer told me it would be $1500 to fix, so I had it fixed at another repair shop. Then I find out while browsing around my onstar account that there are 2 extended warranties for the timing chain. Why didn't the dealer know that? now I have to pay for it again because I'm 188 miles past the extended warranty. I called a reputable transmission repair shop to get a quote for the transmission repair. I was told that they repaired 2 of the same vehicle last week and cannot get a GM transmission due to the fact that they are on national backorder because GM knows they are faulty. There should be a recall on this. GM should have to stand behind their products. I will never own another GM vehicle.

- Ellington, MO, USA

May 302015

Equinox

No warning prior... my husband and I were running errands and had stopped at home. After backing out of our driveway, he went to put the car in drive and it would not shift. It just sat like it was in neutral. We cut the car off and started it back up and it went into drive. Got a 1/10 of a mile down the road and it stopped pulling and seemed to be in neutral again. My husband was able to get it pushed back home. We put about a 1/2 qt of transmission fluid in it, thinking maybe it was low (since you can't check these models with a dipstick). My husband tried backing it out of the driveway and back to see if that helped, at this point it would go into gear but it shifted very hard. That Monday we had it towed to the local transmission shop and it wouldn't even go into gear to get it off the truck. It is currently at the transmission shop and I have been told that it is major and we are looking at lots of money to get this repaired.

- Sophia, NC, USA

May 212015

Equinox

When driving, my cars transmission hesitates. It feels like its losing power. Also feels like there's a misfire. It's very annoying and not sure how Chevy can make a transmission like this. This is why I don't buy american vehicles. No dealership will do anything about it. I'm very upset. I'm a single father in the military, I need a decent vehicle and don't make much. Can anyone help me?

- Hermitage, TN, USA

Nov 192014

Equinox 6-cyl

Check engine light on for error code "low catalytic converter efficiency ", emissions. Manufacturer had volunteer recall for excessive oil consumption. Vehicle was burning oil excessively and coated element of catalytic converter. Manufacturer replaced piston seals and rings to stop oil consumption but refused to replaced damaged catalytic converter caused by oil consumption.

- Morganton, NC, USA

Jan 122015

Equinox

My 2010 Equinox was taken in to my mechanic to check my oil as it was black and smelt burnt and they noticed that I was down to 1/2 qt in less than 500 miles...the last oil change they checked the entire vehicle but found no leaks and suggested to take it in to a Chevy dealer...I was under their power train warranty at the time. Over the next few months they replaced the fuel pump, front seal, rear seal and numerous oil changes in between... right up till the last week of the power train warranty... I drove the vehicle for another 2000 miles and had to add oil up to 4 quarts every 500 miles...I took it in once again in regards to the oil consumption and they performed the oil consumption test which the vehicle failed miserably. The dealership replaced the pistons and rings in concert with GM's warranty covering the replacement of pistons and rings in regards to this problem. Remember my power-train warranty was now out of date due to the dealership pushing the repair always to a later date. This was done in 2/4/2015, in less than two months the oil level has dropped to 1.2 a quart with only 500 miles put on the vehicle since the installation of new pistons and rings. It has now been brought to my attention that according to bulletin pip 5025, (05-16-2012) two items of concern are brought to mind...one the vehicle oil consumption test failed originally, and from all other sources break in period for pistons and rings should take no more than 2000 miles at a loss of 1 qt per 1000 miles. Two...I lost 4 quarts in a 500 mile duration. The bulletin also suggest that engines having this problem will not be replaced only repairs will be covered and that zebra stripes on the cylinder walls are not covered on this repair bulletin... it also states that zebra stripes cannot be repaired...if not repaired oil consumption will remain poor.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jan 092015

Equinox 6-cyl

My wife was driving home from work to eat lunch as with any other day and all of a sudden the vehicle started shaking violently, the check engine light came on along with a "reduced engine power" message and an exclamation mark. I've done a ton of research and have seen this show up as a common issue with many GM models. I found the GM tsb 11273 that describes the exact condition we are having. Want to know the problem" my wife's 2010 Equinox isn't listed in the tsb!!! I do not understand this at all. I've called GM to explain the situation and they will hear nothing of it and are telling me they will not cover the expense. It makes no sense to me how they admit fault and pick of the cost of the exact same repair on other GM models but they will not pay for the repair on my vehicle for the exact same problem. This is a very dangerous issue and I couldn't even imagine having this issue at a high speed, luckily my wife was only driving in town. This is unacceptable. To make things worse, the vehicle doesn't even have 55,000 miles on it and GM is telling me the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty doesn't even cover this! how much sense does that make" the powertrain is the meat of the vehicle which cannot be utilized if the throttle body is acting up because the vehicle is kicked into reduced power mode! very frustrated with GM's customer service in not acknowledging this issue should be fixed.

- Tolono, IL, USA

Sep 192014

Equinox 4-cyl

My cars ch ed ck engine light has popped on and off since I git the car in July and the TPMS gauge has been on since the first week I got the vehicle. It was raining and my car began to start initiating thetraction control but my car started to skid and the check engine light came on. I drove for 15 minutes between 35-55 mph and I received an error message about power failure on the car. My car immediately shut down I didn't need an oil change left and I just replenished oil but when I checked it was empty. I put more oil in the car and scheduled an oil change. The technician checked my tires and did the oil change and the car appeared to work fine. 3 days letter I had the same issue. And instead of one tire none of my tires are being read on the car and when traction control is on it rides rough. 5oday alone my car shut off 7 times while I was stuck 9J a major highway. A mechanic in my building looked at my car and said that there is oil leaking onto the engine block as well.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Sep 092014

Equinox 4-cyl

I am losing a lot of oil within the 3000 miles before I change it. My car is losing power it stalls it runs very loudly and it knocks a little. I put at least 12 quarts of oil every 3000 miles and it's not leaking because I checked the top and the bottom of the motor and there is no sign of oil anywhere not even out of my tail pipe.

- Slaughter, LA, USA

Aug 012012

Equinox 4-cyl

This car started giving me trouble the very week I git it. It was stalling and has this loud raspy sound. The dealership basin Subaru said it is suppose to make that noise. I had to have it towed to Chevrolet. The kept it for a month. Put a rebuilt transmission in the car. Still has the raspy sound, just had the fuel pump replaced after the check engine light came on. One day later the check engine light back on. They replaced some solenoid sensor. The ac blows out a weird mist. Air condition not working properly. That awful rattle noise is still there. Just holding my breath for the next thing to break down. Bought this care 2 years ago and I cant get rid of it.

- Midland, TX, USA

Jul 062014

Equinox 6-cyl

I started the vehicle the stabilitrac and engine light came on. The car would not move forward more than a half mile per hour. Had to have it towed to dealer. I bought this vehicle 1 month ago pre owned from the dealer. It had gone thru the General Motors 117 point inspection test before I bought it... I only put on 1000 miles since I purchased it.

- Lincoln Park , NJ, USA

Mar 262010

Equinox 4-cyl

At 13,000 miles the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel level sensor replaced. At 56,000 miles the water pump and balance shaft chains were replaced after the car broke down on the side of a major highway. At 64,000 miles the camshaft position acutator and solenoid valves were replaced after another highway breakdown. At 69,000 miles the engine was replaced for a breakdown once again. At 81,000 miles the fuel pump and balance shaft chains were replaced once again after a breakdown. At 90,000 miles the car stopped in the middle of a major highway. The wave plate was replaced and metal debris was found in the transmission.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Jan 082013

Equinox

After about a year of owning this vehicle, we have experienced several issues with engine related problems starting in 2011 to current recent issue on 30/2014. We have been to the dealer for several "repairs" and have continued to have additional problems. On several occasions the vehicle has stalled while driving, engine shifts hard/delayed while driving, excessive oil loss between oil changes. Oil is changed and added before every 3,000 miles or sooner in recent months due to low oil and engine making "knocking" sound. Took vehicle to dealer for recent noise and engine light. They are stating it needs engine work done for oil being "burned" in engine through the exhaust in excess of $1600. Listed several items that need repair in conjunction with this issue.

- Norwich, NY, USA

May 242014

Equinox 4-cyl

Vehicle was at a stop awaiting movement of traffic, when it would not move or go into gear other than park. Since purchasing this vehicle for keffer automotive (charlotte, nc) in 2012 we've had to replace the throttle body, engine, and compressor. Now it appears that there is another major mechanical flaw. Either the manufacturer or dealer should be responsible for such a poorly made vehicle.

- Concord, NC, USA

Mar 182014

Equinox 4-cyl

Over the course of the past two years, the transmission steadily shifted harder and harder, sometime the gears wouldn't shift up, or down without a 3~5 second delay at speeds of 30mph or 50mph. Around Mar 18 2014, we were going up a hill going roughly 50mph all of a sudden, there was an external electrical noise, and seconds after, the car wouldn't shift into gear. After getting off the freeway, the car would not shift out of 1st gear, and was in limp mode. We took the car to the dealer the day after and was told the 3-5-reverse wave plate or also commonly referred to as clutch plate shattered and the pieces got into the gears and torn up all the gears with it. The car was still just right under the power train warranty so the dealer replaced the wave plate and the broken gears. But make no mistake, this is a common problem. GM claimed they "supposedly" improved this old problem post 2009 models, however, countless 2010+ Chevy equinoxes, traverse, and GMC terrain, and acadia are still encountering failing transmission because of this very specific 3-5-reverse wave plate issue. Just google for "Chevy Equinox transmission wave plate", or "GM 3 5 reverse wave plate" you'll see countless GMC, Chevy 2010+ owners still encountering pre-mature transmission failures due to this very exact issue. If you take all the average transmission failures from all the 2010+ vehicles, you'll see that the transmission would fail on average anywhere between 60,000~150,000. This is not acceptable, and it should be listed as an official recall!!

- North Hollywood, CA, USA

Apr 122014

Equinox 4-cyl

I was driving in the highway 93, when suddenly the wheel start to be very hard, at this moment I was trespassing other car and for very close I couldn't complete the operation. I almost hit the other car, could cause a very bad accident because the speed. Unfortunately everything end okay, I was able to control the car and stop in a safety place.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Nov 132011

Equinox 4-cyl

11/13/13 first report of transmission surging/bucking when coming to stop then engine dies, happened twice. Dealer could not duplicate. 12/21/13 transmission failure: No reverse, won't shift past 2nd, trans fluid ok but dark w/ metal shavings. Found 3,5, R wave plate fibers & steels damaged along w/ clutch housing assembly, low reverse spring retainer & housing. 1,2,3,4, piston, low reverse 1,2,3,4 clutch, low reverse piston. Clean case, rebuilt valve body, replaced seals, installed overhaul kit. 2/24/14: Reported transmission problem recurred, dealer drove for 2 weeks could not duplicate. 3/24/14: Reported transmission problem recurred 7 times on 3/23. Dealer able to duplicate problem. Replace sungear, output carrier gear set, wave plates, overhauled transmission, relearn shift adapt.

- Wheeling, IL, USA

Feb 252014

Equinox 4-cyl

Transmission is failing. Transmission type is 6T40. It appears to be either the wave plate or the reverse drum. According to several service centers, there have been continuing issues with this transmission as well as other versions. I do know that Chevy has extended the warranty on the engine due to a "concern" over the lower timing chain tensioner. I do not know what percentage of vehicles need to fail before GM would be forced to do something but they obviously know there is an issue because GM/dealerships have agreed to cover some costs for customers that were the original owners after 100K miles. According to my service center, the transmissions seem to begin failing between 80mk and 110K. Unfortunately for me, I am 3% beyond being covered.

- Taylors, SC, USA

May 082013

Equinox 4-cyl

I have experienced nothing but issues with my 2010 Equinox. It has been in the shop many times regarding the oil level being low and a loud noise and transmission getting stuck and slipping. Also experiencing gas smell while I'm driving or when I come to a complete stop. Also it's not normal for the engine to lose 3 quarts of oil out of 5qts within 3000 miles. Started noticing the lost of oil may of 2013. Took it to the shop and they replace the engine and other parts that go along with that repair. July of 2013 same problem occur again, lost of oil again, and then they replace front drive axle inner shaft seal. Also took the car back to the shop for oil lost on Dec.31, 2013 for losing 3 qts oil out of 5qts. They tell us that there is nothing wrong. They said they inspected it for oil leaks, but if they would of check the oil dip stick they would have seen the lost of 3qts of oil. Also I have pictures that I took of the oil dip stick showing only 2qts of oil on Dec.17 2013. Also we have contacted GM and no help from them. I've investigated this problem I learned that I"M not the only one experiencing the same problem across the United States. Also on the invoice that I received they did not do an oil consumption test which involves more than just checking for leaks" seem like there not following the service procedures. It's obviously an internal defect in the 2.4 liter engine that causes it to burn that much oil. Also I have all my papers when I took it to the shop. Also they gave us a copy of the multi-point inspection where it indicates the fuel system, engine, transmission, drive axle; transfer case requires attention soon, wow you think that's why my transmission is slipping.

- Elyria, OH, USA