2012 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Chevrolet Equinox:

2012 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 102017

Equinox

Car had an oil change and new tires put on at belle tire in grand blanc mi. Three days later my daughter (rachelle sly) was at a red light and the car just stopped. Being close to a midas muffler she managed to get it to restart and go there (less than 500 feet). They put the car up in the air and said there was oil all over the bottom of the car. We decided to have it towed back to belle tire since they changed the oil originally. They said it had to be towed to al serra grand blanc mi. By that time the car wouldn't even start.. al serra originally said it was a bad rear seal. Everything escalated to needing a full new engine. There was a bulletin (no.14882) on the 2012 Equinox ltz but when we put her VIN in it did not come up. She had approx 140,000 miles at the time of this incident but had a previous complaint when she was within the required mileage of 120,000 or 10 years per the bulletin no:14882. At that time it was documented of the very complaints. It is cold in mi at this time which is mentioned in the bulletin.at the time of her first complaint al serra changed the catalytic converter which seemed to help. She purchased the car from al serra in June 2015 and the nothing was sent to her or disclosed to her. Bulletin came out in March of 2015 (three months earlier/prior) she drives a long way to and fro work but does not hot rod this vehicle. She gets all maintenance/oil changes etc.it is dangerous that this condition was not brought to her attention, if you google the condition it is a well documented problem that GM should fix and or notify people of, now in addition to spending over $20,000 0N this car it cost $5,444 to get a new engine!

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Jan 082017

Equinox

; 2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox; special coverage adjustment this special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000 miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. Dealers are to perform a crankcase pressure check, and if required, remove the intake manifold and clear the PCV orifice. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. For vehicles covered by vehicle service contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after March 4, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to March 4, 2015, must be submitted to the service contract provider. This is from service bulletin 14882. As a result of the frozen PCV, my wife was nearly killed. The vehicle stopped instantaneously on the highway in the center lane after previously being at 74mph. Semi tractor trailers nearly ran her over. Highway patrol came to the rescue since her vehicle could not be completely removed from traffic. It came to rest partway on the shoulder and partway on the highway. When we had the vehicle towed to the local Chevy dealership, they agreed that it matched identically to this service bulletin. Then, when they checked the VIN, GM said that our VIN was not included. This seems totally wrong. If needed you can obtain the highway patrol report from the Missouri highway patrol. This happened on Sunday January 8, 2017. My wife is lisa newsom for reference. It occurred around 3pm central standard time without notice. The rear oil seal blew out and the motor ceased instantaneously without warning.

- Abingdon, VA, USA

Jan 032017

Equinox

Purchased this vehicle 2 years ago. It has under 50K miles and seemed to be in good condition. Currently it is at 65K miles and has experienced these issues: -stalling at intersections or stop signs a total of 6 times. Taken in multiple times for this issue. - wheel grinding and bucking when stoping of turning right. Also taken in multiple times to dealer - electrical system failure identical to the prior year model recall. The electrical system that houses the heating system and the radio has stopped working. None of the buttons are lighting up at all. You can not turn on the heat or defrost causing S visibility hazard. The radio it's self does work but you have to operate it from the steering wheel. The 2011 models had the same exact issue and were recalled. I feel this model should be included since the issue is the same. No alterations or have been done to the console. Everything is still as it was when purchased from the dealer

- Cranston, RI, USA

Dec 192016

Equinox

Tire pressure( every week need air pressure),power steering( light on say check), cod#P0010 (ing light on) ing off alone...

- Perth Amboy, NJ, USA

Dec 092016

Equinox

With 1350 miles on this oil change I just added 2.5 quarts of oil to bring it up to full level

- Crete, IL, USA

Apr 142016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle shook uncontrollably and the engine indicator remained illuminated. The vehicle was driven to a mechanic and repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 114,000.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 042016

Equinox

I have tried contacting GM multiple times to no avail. I have contacted you all previously to no avail. This is my last hope. I'm going to keep complaining until something is done. My vehicle has an excessive oil consumption issue. It started around 60K miles and has just rolled over the 80K mile mark this week. In the beginning, my vehicle began making this knocking sound so I took it to a local shop to have it checked out. It was completely dry of oil. It was no yet due an oil change and I had had the vehicle for just over a year prior to this. I am now putting a quart of oil in my vehicle per week. I've been told that GM are called years 2010 and 2011 and "some" 2012's unfortunately mine was not one of the "some." - this is a GM manufacturing issue that needs to be addressed. How is it even remotely possible to issue a recall for some and not all. I've been told that if I pay $2000 to have the issue fixed, someday if there is a recall, I'll be reimbursed. As the mother of a child with multiple medical bills, shelling out $2000 for their crappy manufacting is unacceptable for me and it's totally unacceptable. My next step is better business bureau. Please give me some insight. I'm at the end of my rope. I have to keep oil in my vehicle at all times, and I'm terrified that my engine will blow while I'm out with my son in it.

- Columbia, KY, USA

May 012015

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption....one quart every 500 miles and low oil lamp does not come on even if three quarts low. Poor engine design has been noted but no recall. I wonder how many of these engines have die as a result of no oil" what are we to do" this has been an ongoing issue for several years and has been documented by others.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Oct 082016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving, the engine warning indicator illuminated. The engine oil was changed; however, the engine warning indicator remained illuminated. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who diagnosed that the timing chain failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and informed the contact that the repair was no longer covered under warranty. The approximate failure mileage was 55,000.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Oct 072016

Equinox

My children and their friend were driving back to school for a forgotten item. They stopped for a red light and the car stalled out. My son (18), told car behind to go around (luckily, they did not get rear ended). He put car in park, turned car off, and restarted it, and was able to get to destination. Fast forward approx a week later, the car is hesitating, and engine light comes on. My son took it for an oil change to see if that was the problem. The attendant said that when checking the dip stick before starting, the dip stick was bone dry! that's weird...we have had no oil leaks on our driveway, to be alerted that there is a problem. Why would the car be burning up oil that there would be none in the resevoir? so now, I guess we will need to monitor it, but I see other people have documented similar issues. My son (18) uses this car a lot. It seems like this is an abnormal issue with the vehicle. I don't understand why GM hasn't looked into this already. I hope it does not take something bad to happen before it is looked into. It is scary enough to be at a red light and have your car stop working. Please, someone take notice. Consumers pay a lot of money to drive their vehicles. Don't turn a blind eye to a potential problem. What is more cost effective, looking into the problem and fixing it or lawsuits after the fact. Be proactive....please.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 292016

Equinox

This car uses excessive oil. I drive several miles a day. I have mentioned this to the local dealer and they gave me a list of items to "fix" which cost several thousand dollars. I have to monitor my own oil because the oil light does not come on when it is real low. It does come on when it is time for the oil to be changed. I have owned several Chevrolet vehicles but this one has caused me the most problems. I have called and there does not appear to be a recall or legitimate explanation as to why the car uses so much oil. I do not have a leak on the ground.

- Blythewood, SC, USA

Oct 042016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While reversing into a parking space, the vehicle shook and stalled. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- King George, VA, USA

Sep 262016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the camshaft positioning sensor failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,000.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

May 042016

Equinox

The contact owns a 2012 Chevrolet Equinox. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled and was able to be restarted. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Everglades City, FL, USA

Jun 012016

Equinox

Around 60,000 miles, I noticed there was an excessive oil consumption issue with my vehicle. I tracked it for a while, only to find its using a quart of oil every 800-1000 miles. I took it to a local Chevrolet garage and they informed me that this is a common issue with the Equinox. That it is the pistons and rings in the engine that need to be replaced and cost is about $2000. They also informed me that GM recalled 2010-2011 and some 2012, unfortunately mine isn't one of the "some." I've called GM twice about the issue. The second time, the customer service rep asked me what I was expecting from them because if there's no recall, there's nothing they can do about it. If there's a recall for some, there should be a recall for all. As I'm sure I'm not the only person in this predicament.

- Columbia, KY, USA

Jun 272016

Equinox

Out of nowhere, I get an alert stating 'reduced engine power' and 'service stabilitrak' off. I cannot go over 30 mph and the engine has trouble holding power. Several weeks prior to this message, I would feel a light engine sputter, bt the engine would then kick back into gear. This happens on the interstate and on city streets. Apparently this is incredibly common on a lot of Chevrolet vehicles as evidence on the equinoxforum blog.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jun 222016

Equinox

Excessive oil consumption. Causing engine failure. Wife going to work and her vehicle stopped running. Got it to the local dealership and found out it had no oil in it. Was told those engines use oil and GM is aware of problem and not fixing the problem. Being the vehicle is still under there 100000 mile warranty I thought it should be fixed now questions asked but said it was covered in would think that would be a safety issue giving vehicle could break down on a busy highway and run the risk of someone getting hurt

- Michigan Center, MI, USA

Jun 162016

Equinox

My Equinox has stalled several times while at low speeds. Today it happened while turning into a park spot, it stalled once at a red light. The engine completely shuts down and I have to put the car in park and restart it. The dealership can't get me in till next week. Sometimes a check engine light comes on and sometimes it doesn't, it also using a lot of oil!!! GM needs to step up and fix this issue it is a huge safety concern. We shouldn't have to pay for this because it isn't normal wear and tear. There are thousands of complaints for this same issue out there.

- Bedford, TX, USA

Feb 152016

Equinox

July 10, 2015: I took my 2012 Chevy Equinox lt (2.4 L 4 cyl) to a Chevy dealership in ky. The vehicle was at 100,505 miles and I wanted it checked before driving on vacation due to the high mileage, a rough idle and because it had recently shut off while backing out of a parking lot. A GM goodwrench multi-point vehicle inspection was performed. I was told the car showed no sign of any issues but I would need to purchase new tires before winter. By Dec 2015 the rough idle had gotten much worse, the vehicle was loud (almost sounding like a diesel), would jerk and felt like it may shut off any time I had to stop or drive slower speeds. Additionally, the car would "slip" as it was shifting gears so I took it back to the dealership on Dec 8, 2015. The car was at 115,720 miles. The transmission, #2 cylinder, spark plug and coil were replaced and a throttle body cleaning service was performed. Since then, the car has idled high revving to 4,000+RPM at times before it will shift into higher gears (particularly when driving 70+mph on the interstate). Downshifting to lower gears doesn't always go smooth either. The rough idle has returned and progressively gotten worse. The car almost shut off while backing out of a parking lot on Feb 13, 2016. Yesterday (Feb 15, 2016), the car shut off while I was driving! there were no lights illuminated prior to it shutting off. I coasted to the side of the road, re-started the car and finished the final (~3) miles to work. I had the car towed from work back to the dealership. The dealership said there was no oil on the dipstick (the oil life sensor showed ~25% life left on oil) and I was told the car was 2 qts low on oil. The car remains at the dealership as of today, Feb 16, 2016. There are a lot of similar complaints about this on this vehicle needs to be recalled before someone gets hurt or dies!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jan 192016

Equinox

Purchased vehicle used with 64000 miles Aug 24th, 2015. After about 2 weeks the car stalled while backing out of a parking spot. Re-started it and it stalled again. Happened again in late Sept, once in Oct and again in Nov. Dealer replaced faulty intake solenoid 11-13-15. Leaving for work on Jan 19th and noticed oil leak (no low oil light). Drove straight to dealership. 1/4 mile out my engine light comes on saying reduced engine power, drops me to 30 mph. Get to dealership and it's a blown rear seal. Replaced loose timing and balance shaft chain, water pump, coolant flush ( I paid for) ABS light came on, so sensor was found to be "open" also found chunk of magnet missing from wheel bearing. Car in shop for 9 days. Picked up on 1-28-16. Stalled again 4 X on 2-4-16. Returned to dealership to have camshaft actuator replaced. Stalled again 2-7-16 and 2-8-16. Returned to dealership on 2-8-16. No word from them yet. The car has left me in the middle of an intersection turning left twice!! I could be killed by driving this vehicle. I have researched online and have found 1000's of people dealing with this same issue. Several have had the vehicle stall while traveling 70 mph on the freeway!! the issues exists on 2010, 2011 and 2012 models. GM needs to take responsibility for the issue that no one seems to know how to fix. Does someone have to die before GM will deal with this issue?? these vehicles are also known for burning excessive amounts of oil. When I took it in for an oil change, they noted it was a quart low. Still no low oil light ever came on. One article I read said the issue is caused by a coating that was sprayed inside the camshaft during production is now leaking into the fuel/oil causing metal fragments and dirt to be in the oil.

- Kingston, MI, USA