1. let car run for 3 to 4 minutes before driving (1 reports)
2001 Chevrolet Impala AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Mar 042009

One day, got in the car (summer), went to work, mainly highway, all of a sudden, temp. gauge stopped working and so did my AC. When I got to work I noticed that the fans were still running. What the $#%$# now! The fans stayed on for about 3 minutes and shut off. (after the car was already off.) As soon as you start the car, fans come on, AC doesn't work, nor the gauge, changed the temp. sending unit, relays etc... nothing!.

Then one morning on my way to work, bam, temp gauge working, AC working and fans shut off. Even after plugging it into the computer for diagnostics, showed nothing. Now it will be process of elimination. After a couple of years of this on and off crap finally figured it out. It seems that when I don't let it warm up, once the car is in overdrive and on the highway, it takes about 7 minutes and then, all hell breaks loose. If I let the car warm up for 3 to 4 minutes I never have the problem. Seems when it comes off idle, it's good to go. weird eh?

GM is saying my computer is defective, I say they're on crack. Has anyone had this problem or am I alone? At least I know how to correct this issue. GM couldn't even figure it out. But there has to be a permanent solution without having to do what I do now.

- , Vaudreuiel, QC, Canada