2001 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chevrolet Impala:

2001 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 162009

Impala 6-cyl

Consumer has a 2001 Chevy Impala with engine and suspension problems. The consumer stated several of the engine and suspension components failed due to oil damage. The consumer is seeking reimbursement.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

May 252009

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at an unknown speed, a tire flattened on the vehicle. The contact then noticed smoke underneath the hood of the vehicle. She opened the hood and found flames coming from the engine. She was able to extinguish the fire herself. She arrived home and called her independent mechanic to come to her residence and investigate. The mechanic stated that it was safe to drive the vehicle. The contact received a recall notice from General Motors, which stated "that some of these vehicles have a condition in which drops of engine oil may be deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking. If the manifold is hot enough and the oil runs below the heat shield, it may ignite into a small flame and may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel and beyond, increasing the risk of an engine compartment fire." The failure mileage was 211,000. Updated 06/27/09 updated 06/23/09.

- Newborn, GA, USA

Mar 272007

The contact owned a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. While driving less than 45 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact exited the vehicle and noticed flames under the hood. The vehicle exploded. The fire and police departments arrived at the scene and a report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure and current mileages were less than 50,000.

- Haynes, AR, USA

May 022009

The contact owned a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The contact noticed smoke underneath the hood of her vehicle. She lifted the hood and noticed a small fire between the alternator and several wires. The driver was able to extinguish the fire after a few minutes with a fire extinguisher. The fire department arrived after the fire was extinguished. The local GM dealer could not determine the cause of the fire; however, they confirmed that the manifold gasket was leaking and may have started the fire. One week later, the contact received a recall notice that stated "if the manifold is hot enough and the oil runs below the heat shield, it may ignite into a small flame and may spread to the plastic spark plug wire channel and beyond, increasing the risk of an engine compartment fire". NHTSA campaign id number 09V116000 was referenced. No repairs have been made to the vehicle. The current and failure mileages were less than 100,000. Updated 8/10/09 updated 08/13/09.

- Whistler, AL, USA

Jun 052009

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the remedy referenced in NHTSA campaign id number 09V116000 (engine and engine cooling) would not sufficiently correct the failure. He stated that by installing two new spark plug wire retainers for free will not stop drops of engine oil from being deposited on the exhaust manifold through hard braking. The dealer did not assist. The failure and current mileages were 158,000.

- Martin, TN, USA

Dec 012005

I purchased this car with 28,000 miles on it. Around 38,000 miles is when the problems started. The check engine light came on and it would not pass smog because of that. The thermostat gets stuck, the fan continues to run after car is shut off, the low coolant light comes on even when it is not low. The car smells like it is burning or running hot. The car now has 53,000 miles on it and I cant afford to get it fixed. It has expired tags on it because I cant get it to pass smog. I am really upset to find out this is a defect in the make of the car. It was hard enough to come up with the money to buy this car and now I cant drive it more then to work and back. I am hoping they will recall this car and I could finally get it fixed.

- Wrightwood, CA, USA

Jan 152009

2001 no-start situation similar to hundreds of others that are posted on the internet for the 2000-2003 Chevy Impala & Malibu (there may be other model years with similar problems). The car will not crank when the key is turned to the start position. No noise when this happens but sometimes security light will come on. It is an intermittent problem that we've spent over $1000 trying to resolve. It occurs with no rhyme or reason and has put our daughter in dangerous situations. Car always starts eventually and it seems that it's just a matter of waiting a range of 10 minutes to 2 hours. Always a pain in the butt but sometimes a safety issue with bad weather and other factors. Local GM dealer not too concerned about our problem and GM corporation doesn't seem to care either. Maybe NHTSA can get gms attention to resolve this problem because it's obviously affects many people.

- Port Clinton, OH, USA

Dec 312007

Impala 6-cyl

While jump starting vehicle intake manifold explodes. No start condition.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Dec 312007

Impala 6-cyl

While jump starting vehicle intake manifold explodes. No start condition.

- Jackson, TN, USA

Nov 012006

Impala 6-cyl

2001 Chevy Impala engine, radiator and battery replaced. Consumer had the vehicle fixed at her own expense because GM would not help her out. She stated that the transmission went 3 months after the engine. The power switch and side mirror was replaced.

- New Haven, CT, USA

Sep 082007

My daughter was in the market for a used car. She found a car on the website fo city auto auction of Chicago, priced at $1500. We arrived at the auction and inquired about their bidding process. I was told to read and sing the bidders paddle. We inquired about the car listed on the website and was told it was no longer available, but we could bid on another like car. We bidded $2800 for a 2001 Chevy Impala. I asked the salesman if we can see the car for inspection. His insisted I put a $600 down payment to hold the car. I did. We waited 3 hours before they called us into the office. They presented us with a bill of sale totaling $3858. I asked for an explanation of the charges, and to see the car to determine whether there were any defects. The owner became irate and told me, they didn't have time to explain to me the charges, he called security and I was asked to leave. The following Monday, my daughter went back, I was to meet her at the dealership. She asked if she could inspected the car. She was told she had to pay the remaining balance first. She did. The servicemen brought the car out, locked the door and refused to answer any of her questions. Needless to say the car had no radio, no rear view mirror and was knocking. I had her bring the car to me. The car began to sputter and would not accelerate pass 50 mph. She continued to drive, the car then slowed to 10 mph. She eventually got the car to my office, where it died, and would not start. I called city auto, talked to Mr. Al, who told me the car was sold "as is" and there was nothing they could do.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 172003

Impala 6-cyl

1. crank sensot failed and ran hazard lights on side of innerstate for 3 hours while GM roadside assistance sent tow service. 2. turn signals failed intermittently and operation of hazard switch would be restore them temporially. 3. replaced hazard signal switch and the old part is available.

- Mauk, GA, USA

Sep 062007

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2001 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the power locks, fog lights, and power trunk release do not work. He also stated that the service engine light and low fuel indicator illuminated while driving 25 mph. The dealer will inspect the vehicle on September 6, 2007. The current and failure mileages were 90,000.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 072007

Impala 8-cyl

In the past 6-8 months, my 2001 Chevy Impala started to show the obvious signs of intake manifold leaks (sludge on oil cap, brown residue in coolant overflow reservoir, small coolant puddles on engine). At 71,000 miles I received a quote at a GM dealer for the fix...$900. The dealer said he does one a day on these GM 3.4 engines. As a side, my wife's Venture, sister's Venture and father Impala all have the faulty intake maifold coolant/oil leak. After speaking with GM, they agreed only to pay for the two bolts, a gasket and a small tube of sealant. This past week, the oil pressure light came on and I stopped the car at the next parking lot. It stalled there and never started. After a tow, the mechanic attempted to fill it with oil and run it. Within seconds it flows out the oil filter and the filter and/or filter gasket ruptures. After checking the oil pump and oil pump sensor, his diagnosis is for an engine replacement. He claims that the sludge from the antifreeze has built up, and a cam bearing has been damaged, rendering the engine irreplaceable. I currently have, multiple options, the cheapest of which is $3,500. We are a GM family, my father retired from GM. Why can't GM face the faulty design flaw of the manifold gaskets and coolant problems?

- Oregon, OH, USA

Aug 122005

Low coolant light stays on - replaced first time low coolant light stays on - replaced second time.

- St James, MO, USA

Oct 282005

Impala 6-cyl

Dt consumer stated the thermostat went out on the vehicle. After the vehicle was shut off the engine made a loud noise, and the fan would run for about five minutes. The mechanic had found oil in the coolant. The lower intake gasket, water pump, and the thermostat were removed and replaced. The mechanic stated when going from warm temperatures to cold temperatures the engine cooling system malfunctioned. Updated 11/16/2005.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

May 012005

Problems with the wiring system on the 2001 Chevrolet Impala after the vehicle was impounded. The temperature gauge, gas mileage and the turn signals were inoperative and the radiator hose had burned against the battery. The consumer found that the wiring system was changed. The consumer also found missing components such as a fuse and a huge hollow area due to the missing fans.

- Madras, OR, USA

May 052005

Impala 6-cyl

I have just purchased a 2001 Impala from dealer less than a week ago (4/29/2005) and I took it to the dealer today for some maintenance. The dealer told me the intake manifold is leaking antifreeze into the engine and it is quite serious. I have checked some online discussion groups and there seems to be a lot of complaints on this issue. It seems like this is a common problem on the Impala. I think GM should issue a recall for this issue and reimburse my cost of repair.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 152005

Impala 6-cyl

I have two GM cars both 2001 my Grand Am I just changed the manifold gaskets and the head gaskets, now my Impala also needs the same gaskets changed maybe there is a reason for this defect. I do not think that it possible to change these gaskets after four years. My Grand Am was covered my Impala is not. What happens in the next four years? please respond.

- Centereach, NY, USA

Nov 012004

Manifold and pump gasket leaked. The low coolant light came on.

- Auburn, NH, USA