2002 Chevrolet Impala cooling system problems

cooling system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Sep 082005

Around 58K miles the low coolant light came on and I was informed that there is a slight leak around the intake manifold gasket. This was a common problem due to the dex-cool antifreeze that is used. I have contacted the dealer and they won't do anything for me, and the cost would be around $700 to repair. I've been nursing this issue for several months as the leak was slight, however now it is greater and must be dealt with. I have gotten nowhere with the dealers and will have to repair it and bear the cost.

- Vandalia, OH, USA

Sep 152003

Impala 6-cyl

2002 Chevrolet Impala, coolant light has been on for 2 years. Took it to a dealership when it first came on, only to be informed that it was a "corrosion problem" which was not covered by my bumper to bumper warantee. Now I discovered that GM's choice of dex-cool antifreeze is very well known to cause corrosion problems, and there are a myriad of consumer complaints about dex-cool destroying head and intake gaskets as well! I expect GM to make good on a problem that they themselves caused, instead of their to-date snively policy of passing the buck back to the consumer. (in short, if this issue is not resolved to my satisfaction in a timely manner, I will never buy a GM product ever again!)

- Wheatfield, IN, USA

Nov 102004

Impala 6-cyl

Engine coolant has turned brown and clogged up the cooling system. I have been told this is a problem with the type of coolant being used in new vehicles. I have been refered to have my engine flushed and that GM will not stand up for the repairs.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Aug 192002

While checking cooling system noticed a build up of brown stuff on radiator cap, and brown water at radiator top. Cooling liquid breaks down and clogs up radiator/ heater core and engine. Dealer has been contacted.

- Baltimore, MD, USA