8.2

2. letting car sit for approx 30 minutes (37 reports)
  3. wait 10 min till securty light stops flashing, try again (18 reports)
  4. recall (14 reports)
  5. replaced body control module (11 reports)
  6. bypass the ignition sensor (9 reports)
2002 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

May 292006

Impala LS

The car would not crank. Not even click. There seemed to be plenty of juice in the battery, but put it on a charger for 45 minutes anyway. Tried to start it after that, but nothing changed. Got the car into neutral, and then it started. Seems OK today. About a week before, the SECURITY light came on for no reason and eventually went out. It has not reoccurred. Is there a link? Not sure and I suspect that the Chevy dealer will not know either. At 50-60 bucks per hour, I do not feel comfortable letting them dork around with my wife's car since if there is no "code", they will not know what the problem is. If anyone has a similar problem, please let me know if you can get the car to start in NEUTRAL. Did mechanics seem to KNOW MORE prior to the use of onboard computers in cars? Or does it just seem that way?

- , Merrimack, NH, USA

Mar 032007

Impala LX 3.8

I'm having same problem as many owners. Not starting. Nothing happens when key is turned. Taken to dealer twice and told might be, passlock system, ignition switch($400 if replaced). Shortly there after starts fine. Dealer said only drawing 3 milli amps current. Ask them to check history codes and they found none. Dealer had 3 days and said can't find anything because it started fine when they tried.

- , Hamilton, OH, USA

Oct 202006

Impala

Just like the others a real pain in the AXX. Really inconvenient if you have to go somewhere and the car won't start. Happened several times. First couple of times would call Triple A. By the time they got here the car would start. Felt like a real jerk.... Dealer wants a $100.00 just to look at the car. How can they diagnose when problem is so sporadic. One dealer told us not to use the remote entry which worked for awhile. Now we just use the key and it started happening again. Message center is all messed up. Get different messages all the time.............. Chevy is no help.....................

- , Freehold, NJ, USA

May 172006

Impala LS

I join the other two people as far as the car not starting. Very weird.... runs great and then all of a sudden it won't crank over. I have not had the battery changed nor have I went as far as to take it into the dealership. I did however, call GM with my problem and they informed me that it could be numerous things and I should take it to my local dealership. GM had no prior complaints to this problem. This is very frustrating and I as well as the others have to wait 30 minutes and then it starts just fine. Also, may I add everything else works--it just doesn't want to start sometimes?? If anyone has a solution please advise.

- , Gothenburg, NE, USA

Feb 272007

Impala

This is a really annoying problem, just when I have five minutes to get to work and be on time, the damn car won't start, due to the security lock out, I have to wait 15 to 20 minutes to start my car. GM really needs to recall this piece of crap.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 152006

Impala

I'm having the same problem as must of you Impala owners. My battery and securtiy light comes on constantly at time the car will not start having to wait 10 min or longer before it start. I had it checked several time they 're NO diagnostics code. Need help!!!! Before going BROKE.......

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 162006

Impala

First time it happen was under warranty in Little Rock, Ar Dealer gave us a story of cut wires and we beleived the story. It has happen many times since and the solution that works everytime so far -set parking brake turn ignition key on for 3 minutes then off, do this a total of 3 times on the last time watch the flashing security light - when it stops flashing you can turn off your ignition and bach on and it starts. Was told by a mechanic at a dealer who denied GM had a problem. Showed him all the problems found on the internet and he admitted GM had a problem and stated to apply the parking brake and with a stopwatch time turning your ignition on/off 3 times for 10.5 minutes. This reset the security system.

- , Floresville, TX, USA

Feb 132007

Impala LX

Security Light on the dash board comes and goes but this means the car will not start for at least 20 minutes. I called local service however they indicated that this is a dealer issue. The GM dealer with inconvenient hours, charged me $100 to say their tests show error codes. For $300 I could purchase a part that might work if not, pay an additional $500 for another part that SHOULD fix the problem. The dealer's hands were shaking nervous with the $800 figures on paper. I walked away from this shocking experience. The dealers know this is a recall issue yet they will not admit it or help in any way except to take customers money and await their sale of the vehicle. I have yet to come up with a solution to the problem. If anyone finds one, please let me know, the winter cold makes waiting 20 minutes for the car to start more than sad. I will never ever buy another Chevy!

- , Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 242006

Impala LX 3.8 V6

Car starts sometimes. I have to leave for at least 2 hours. Then car stopped starting altogether . Took battery out of car had tested and was good and was replaced. Car worked fine for two weeks then same problem the dreaded security light came back on. Got where I was going came back out car would not start car would not jump off took knew battery out took back to advance auto said battery now bad put another battery in cranked first time worked for one week then security light came back on then next day went off live with not knowing if car will start when i get in it. Can't see paying for car and called gm. They called me back said they have had no complaints. HAVE FREIND THAT WORKS at a chevy dealer and says mechanics say they have a lot of problems with passlock system and say that the part is about 300.00 plus labor, but do not know if this will fix problem. If anybody finds an answer let us impala owners know . SHOULD HAVE STAYED WITH FORDS.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 262006

Impala 3.4

The security system constantly activates and locks the fuel injectors so the car won't start. Took it to the dealer and they were going to charge me over 100.00 just to look at the problem. This has become a huge issue since we have two newborn children and live in the wintery midwest. At times it takes up to 30 minutes to have the security light stop flashing and then I can start the car. As I have read above there has been little if any sympathy from Chevy!

- , Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Jan 282007

Impala LS 3.8

I bought the car new and as soon as the GM loan was paid off the security light would come on about 10 minutes into driving. The light will be on and change to battery light, then change to service engine soon. I have had 2 times of not starting. First time I waited 30 minutes and it started just fine. 2nd time I opened the door and it started. One time of the battery going dead. trunk wil not open when car is in park. Door chime will continue for 30 seconds after closing door.

Took car to dealer and was unable to verify the problem, no codes were set. told the dealer the headlights would go out if you used the dimmer while driving.. Dealer did find the multifunction switch was bad and replaced it. Was told that should correct the problem. 10 minutes down the road, same problems.

Cost: $ 200.00 for diagnostics

550.00 for multifunction switch

I will think long and hard before buying another chevy

- , Churubusco, IN, USA

Jan 022007

Impala LS 3.8L V6

From reading the reports, it appears this is a common problem with this car. Since this security comes as standard equipment, GM should pick up the repair tab or disclose a procedure to disable it.

- , Frankfort, IN, USA

Nov 082006

Impala LS

This is my second posting about this piece of crap. I had the body control module replaced and it's been fine (for this problem only, as there are many other unrelated problems) for a few months. Driving into work this morning, 11/8/06, the freaking Security light came on AGAIN! I have been having so many problems with this car I am about giving up hope. If anyone has any clue as to why this keeps happening, I would really appreciate an email (use the Send Comment link below). Thanks!

- , Springville, NY, USA

Sep 112006

Impala

all of a sudden car wont turn over at all. turn ignition, nothing happens, no sound. battery checks out ok. security light has come on prior. never know when it will happen!! will start later but very much a problem as it can leave you stranded.

can lock and unlock car twice from inside and turn key on and wait at least ten minutes then turn key off and on again and will start. this should be a recall item from Chevrolet! costs $400. to fix and could happen again then!! has anyone had it fixed? if so, what happens then?

- , Burleson, TX, USA

Sep 112006

Impala

Car wouldn't start. We disconnected the fuse for the security system. Lights inside and out flashing continually, security light on constantly. Took it in to the dealership where purchased. Told it was the "Receiver" ($189CDN) that needed replacing. Picked it up, same problem. Did some net surfing to find others with same problem. Suggested BCM solution to mechanic. They weren't sure and didn't want us out anymore money - right! Still waiting to hear what they can do after paying $400 dollars for absolutely squat.

- , Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

Aug 162006

Impala

One day the car wouldn't turn over. I checked the fuses and relays, pushed them and then it started. I had it happen again, and now the security light is on. I started using a new key since my old key was having problems turning (Which I don't think have resisters in it in the first place) and replaced the fuses and disconnected the battery, but it still shows up. I have a feeling the computer in the car is not working.

- , Birmingham, MI, USA

Jul 232006

Impala

At first, the electric locks quit working. Then the battery was dead one morning. It is impossible to turn the security system off. The car thinks it is always locked, so if a cat or varmint runs under it, the alarm goes off or the lights come on and stay on until the battery is dead. Battery is usually dead in the morning if it is not disconnected. Have an appointment at Chevrolet dealer next week to try and fix. I was hoping to find someone else with the same problem that could shed some light on it and save me some money.

- , Otto, NC, USA

Jul 142006

Impala

This is really atarting to get to be a real big pain. I go to my car to start it then the Security light comes on and it will not start for 10 minutes. It is right down to the second. I have been told to put the gas pedal all the way to the floor when the car is off and this should reset the Security system. Nope does not work, I have taken it to a couple different places and they could not find the problem. So if anyone knows what the problem could be please HELP!!!

- , Wyoming, MI, USA

Jul 012006

Impala

This is what I get for buying a Chevrolet, again... the shift interlock on the automatic on my Monte Carlo (same as Impala) stopped working and was replaced at 30000 miles. It went out again a month ago and caused the battery to drain overnight. Turns out it was not requiring the ignition to be completely turned off and the key could be removed partly in the acc position. The security light would come on when the car was started if there was juice left in the battery.

Had to go to Vegas for a flight Returned home today after a week and there is a ticking noise in the dashboard, the security light is still on, and the a/c does not work. Drove it a few miles, restarted it and everything works??? What's with this??? Then went to visit my daughter in Vegas and before heading back to Utah and the next time the headlights start flashing when I start it up. Decided to give it a night's rest and head home tomorrow... hopefully it does not break down in the middle of the desert. Sure not going to replace it with another Chevy.

- , Cedar CIty, UT, USA

Jul 052006

Impala LX V6

This problem seems to be some kind of vehicle defect that a lot of us owners share. The same thing happened to me where I noticed one day while I was driving that the security light was on... didn't pay it much mind, but a few days later when I tried to start my car nothing happened. The lights and radio were on, but the the car didn't make a noise when I turned the ignition! I'm trying to do some trouble shooting, so I'm wondering if anyone else who have had this problem noticed their doors were unlocked before tyring to start their car? Maybe the answer can be as simple as locking the car from the outside (which sets the security system) then unlocking the doors and trying again to start the car.

- , N. Highlands, CA, USA