2004 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 9 of 20)

Apr 152012

Impala

I own a 2004 Chevy Impala and the ignition fails, then you have to let the car sit at least 10 min. Then it will start. This is a problem from the factory and from what I've read this seems to be a manufacturing defect.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Feb 012010

Impala

I was driving down the street and saw that my speedometer says about going 110 miles an hour when I knew that I was only going about 25 I was in a residential area. The issue started slowly I would only happened once in a while but here we are 2 years later and my actual speedometer needle faces down towards the steering wheel.no my service tag agent going on the frayed of my gas gauge is gonna stop working also the blinkers only work when I want to..

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Jan 052012

Impala

The speedometer stopped working correctly. It went to 120 while on interstate while I was only going 70 mph using my gps. I have been stopped at a stop sign and it showed anywhere from 30 to 70 mph.

- Midwest City, OK, USA

Jan 302012

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer stopped working. It went to 0 while on interstate.

- Girard, IL, USA

Jan 012010

Impala

2004 Chevy Impala, problem 1:turn the key on security light blinking, car wont start. Car will start after 10 minutes or so. Problem 2: speedometer stuck, for example you would be on the freeway doing 60mph even when you park your car or the needle would be stuck on 0 and I know it can't be right. It has been doing this for quite sometime about a year now off and on. Problem 3: ac/heater fan control wont turn on. I have taken my car to different shops and they don't know what's going on with it, it's costing me alot of money being ripped off by the shop. I still have to pay them even though they didn't fix the problem. They say they fixed it and same problems still exist.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jan 012009

Impala

Car has had several major safety problems (1) defective fuel cap - lead to fuel emissions into atmosphere and malfunction of emission control system. (2) defective speedometer - could have lead to excessive speed, inappropriate speed, and/or crash (3) defective anti-theft security system - can either not allow the vehicle to start, or can cause vehicle to stop running and then not start upon operator command. Could lead to death or dismemberment.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jan 092012

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer not working properly. Same problem as most other people with this vehicle.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Dec 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Speedometer has started to fail. Speedometer registers 80 when parked and well over 120 while driving. No way of knowing how fast the vehicle is really going.

- Streamwood, IL, USA

Nov 212011

Impala 6-cyl

The speedometer on my 2004 Chevy Impala began acting up while driving on the freeway on 11/21/2011. I was going the posted speed limit of 70 mph and when I let off the gas pedal for slower traffic, I noticed that the speedometer appeared to be stuck at 70mph. This was confirmed when shortly up the road I exited the freeway and came to a complete stop and the speedometer still read 70 mph. When I got home, I called a local auto parts store to inquire what could be causing this. I was informed that this is a common problem for the Impala and that eventually my other gauges like the fuel level will also act up. I looked on line and found that there are many out there that have my same issue which I consider a safety issue but that there are no recall notices for the issue. I am just floored to find that there is no recall for an item like this. Looking into the matter further, to correct the issue, it must be taken to a GM dealership to have the dashboard cluster replaced at the cost of $600. Please look into all the reported issues similar to mine and see if something can be done concerning a recall. Thank you in advance!

- Almont, MI, USA

Oct 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Instrument cluster failing. - while driving home from work, my instrument cluster failed. Started jumping around for a min until it finally stuck. Now it has progressively gotten to the point where it never has the correct mph. Sometimes sticking 20 - 30 mph while in park. Other times staying at 0least while on the interstate. Very unsafe. Should've a recall, after calling the dealer and being quoted nearly $600 to repair. After this many complaints Chevy needs to fix this problem. No more american cars for me thanks.

- Cedartown, GA, USA

Sep 212011

Impala 6-cyl

When pulling out of my parking spot, the traction control/ABS light comes on and stays on for the duration of my drive which is usually just around 9 miles (I drive to and from work). This has been going on for months and happens every time I pull out from a parking spot. On some occasions when trying to stop the brakes make a grinding noise and it takes a bit more effort than usual to stop. What could be causing the traction/ABS light to come on everytime I drive my car.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Nov 232010

Impala 6-cyl

Gauges on instrument panel not working speed gauge says you are going 120 when you are going 50 now it stays pegged all the way over I fell this is a safety issue and Chevy should recall this it is a problem in a lot of there vehicle also heat gauge is not working.

- Hubert, NC, USA

Oct 192011

Impala

The car will not start all the time. But if you turn the switch on and off 3 times it may work or may not.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Impala

The turn signals stop working for no reason. Both right and left turn signals will just not work. I found a temporary fix on a car forum on the web. If you turn the hazard light switch on and off a few times then the turn signals will work again for awhile. At first it happened only occasionally. Now it is happening on a daily basis. And you don't find out until you are going to make a turn or switch lanes on the highway. I found so many complaints about this problem on the car forums to indicate to me that mine is not an isolated problem. This is the second electrical complaint I've had to make on this car. The other problem was with the speedometer and other gauges not functioning which required a very expensive fix.

- Baltimore, OH, USA

Sep 162010

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the security warning would illuminate sporadically, causing the vehicle to become unresponsive to starting attempts. The dealer was contacted and advised that there were no recalls and offered no assistance. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Mar 082011

Impala

I have a Chevy 2004 Impala in we been having problems since we got it last year one day the car started shaking in it cut off we got it fixed a couple months later it's back doing the same thing it did at I'm sick in tired of spending my money on getting all this self fix in for it to happen again I look on internet in know a lot of people with the same problem and I'm pretty sure you seen a lot of complaints so I think it's time for a recall 2000-2011 these cars are messing up big time.

- Hawthorne, CA, USA

Jul 052011

Impala 6-cyl

04 Chevrolet Impala. Passlock security stops car from starting. 1. nothing led up to failure. Car just temporarily wouldn't start. Thes starts normally for a few days. Then back to no starting. 2.car temporarily doesn't start. Happens 2-3 times a week. Takes anywhere from 15-30 minutes to get the passlock to reset. Has caused me to be late to work and other appointments. 3. taken to dealership $600 to repair passlock security device.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Aug 142011

Impala

Security light flashes and has shut car down and will not start, until a system reset. It has done this 8 times in last 3 months. Family has been involved every time. After extensive research, the passlock system has been a culprit for many a owner.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Aug 192011

Impala

I drove to the dry cleaners and turned off the car. When I came back the car wouldn't start with the key. I had the problem before. I let it sit for about 10mins and the car started with the key.

- Riverdale, GA, USA

Apr 012011

Impala 6-cyl

2004 Impala- security light will come on and car will not start. Must turn key to on position, let sit between 10 and 60 minutes, turn key off and restart, this happens more and more. Im pregnant and this happened and I nearly passed out due to the heat. This occurs nearly every time I attempt to start vehicle.

- Allentown, PA, USA