2004 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Dec 202013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. Two years ago, the contact noticed that the instrument panel lights dimmed without warning. Two days later, the contact smelled a burning odor and the vehicle lost power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a tune up. The failure recurred. The contact stated that the vehicle was never the same after the tune up. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 128,000. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V400000 (electrical system) and 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 128,000. Parts distribution disconnect. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Cleaveland, OH, USA

Nov 152015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact noticed oil was leaking from the engine of the vehicle. The failure recurred three times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V201000 (engine and engine cooling) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Savannah, TN, USA

Jun 282015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that oil leaked onto the engine and created a fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Oct 302015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was smoke under the hood of the vehicle. The contact pulled over and discovered that oil was leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and the VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V701000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 82,000.

- Florahome, FL, USA

Sep 012015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that there was an engine oil leak in the vehicle. In addition, the contact mentioned that the ignition key needs to be replaced. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 112013

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving at an unknown speed, the engine overheated and the temperature warning light illuminated. While checking the oil drip, the contact noticed that the oil had a milky appearance. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the head gasket had blown and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Laselle, IL, USA

Oct 012014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start on numerous occasions. The contact stated that the pass lock sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 178,000. Updated 11/18/15

- Crittenden, KY, USA

Sep 282015

Impala

Engine shuts off while at a red light and then will turnover but will not restart.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Feb 052015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the key was turned to start the vehicle, it failed to start and the security warning light illuminated. After several attempts, the vehicle restarted. The vehicle was driven to the dealer, but the failure was not duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Brooklyn, OH, USA

Oct 012013

Impala

When you try start vehicle security light comes on and vehicle does not start. There are many reports of this issue noted online and customers are spending money on batteries and other parts without a fix. GM needs to fix this issue seems like many notes are indicating disgust with the company not responding to this issue.

- Melville, NY, USA

Jun 262015

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. After starting the vehicle, the temperature gauge warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the head gasket was overheating and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 150,000.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Jan 082015

Impala

I bought the car used at dealership in rochester NY it had around 128000 when bought it died out at about 131000 they claimed that the car was fully inspected was a total failure had to spend a 1000 plus dollars at good year to months after bought had no heat sh*t heads could fix it I want my money back for the car I way over pay I paid 5300 with taxes and sitting in my drive way dead... the call the deaker no response I have warranty but they wont answer or do work.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Feb 202015

Impala 6-cyl

Intake manifold gasket. Why are the defected? there are so many complaints about faulty ones and still you have not changed to better gaskets. First the heat goes and then the car overheats for no apparent reason. Changed the water pump and thermostat. Now the gasket. For the price you pay for this car it should not have to cost me another 800 to 1200 more for a part you can fix with changing your product you use. I have own GMC products for over 20 years and this is my first complaint about them. Just because I am having problems with my Impala will not keep me from telling people that GMC has good cars. Just wish this problem will fixed for future owners. Would hate to be called a liar. One of our GMC's is a 78 Sierra classic which was bought brand new in 77.

- Dexter, MO, USA

Feb 272015

Impala 6-cyl

After parking my car, I just happened to noticed smoke coming out from the front of car and I was fortunate enough to have a dry chemical fire extinguisher available to put out the flames. It appears that there was a valve cover oil leak that had dripped onto the exhaust manifold that caused the oil to ignite into flames. Resulting damage that I'm visually able to see was to all spark plug wires, engine coils, plastic engine cover, oil dipstick, right engine strut, wiring harness pigtail going to coil pack assembly and under hood insulation. I will not know full extent of damage until I attempt to perform the repairs myself. I have photos if someone would like to view them. Also, the mileage I listed of 99,400 is approximate, it is not exact as I am not near my car at the moment.

- Anderson, SC, USA

Oct 212014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled after the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 196,000.

- Rapid City, SD, USA

Aug 152006

Impala

I bought 2004 Impala and have ignition problem with witnesses with a dent in front bumper, after ten years or over 100K miles the gasket goes on GM/GMC products, both inner tie rods rotten out. I have talk to GM executive office that fix the Impala problem in 2011 but unwilling to deal with it now. I think I need out side counsel and engineering firm to test and testify on my behave and3,700 other owners with the same problem. I want new vehicles and setting up a date with congressional oversight committee, and NHTSA review my case. I have met with congressional panel investigating GM that want to help me resolve this problem. I been a GM person but seriously looking in the foreign market if I have no serious resolution.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Jul 112008

Impala 6-cyl

My wife was driving home from work when the engine stopped running and caused her to have to pull off the road. It took several minutes before car would restart. Since the first time she had this happen at least 3 times a year since. I've driven the car several times after she has told me it happened again and had our mechanic look at it also. Also have had the instrument panel gauges not working properly for 2 years now and haven't been able to figure out why, we think there is a short somewhere in the electrical system but have not been able to pin point it. The chrome plate aluminum alloy rims the chrome has been flaking off since the car was 2 years old and we now have to keep refilling the tires with air at least once a week. Have gone to the dealer a couple of times but get a run around that its not a problem with the car. I have talked to a gentleman who also has the only other 2004 Impala ss in our town and he has the same problems as we have had and gotten same response from our local dealer where we both bought our cars from. My Impala ss at this time has just over 80,000 miles on it and in addition to problems mentioned above we had to have power steering pump, rack in pinion and alternator replaced and looking like the rack in pinion is going out again as I write this. I've become very disappointed with Chevrolet over this car.

- Ashland, KY, USA

Oct 162014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. After turning the key into the ignition switch, the vehicle failed to start until minutes later and the security alarm warning indicator illuminated. The failure occurred several times. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The technician recommended the sensor light needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Aug 152014

Impala

The contact owns a 2004 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 40 mph, the contact heard an abnormal sound coming from the engine and the radiator overheated. The vehicle failed to shift out of park. The contact was able to merge the vehicle to the side of the road and poured water into the radiator. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing, but the cause of the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Gray, GA, USA

Aug 302012

Impala 4WD 6-cyl

Tried to start car, wouldn't turn over even though car had power, no noises or sounds made when trying to turn over even though I had full power to radio winders doors and electric dash board. Had a new starter put in because I thought that was the issue. 2 weeks later security light comes on while driving and stayed on. Tried to turn car on same thing happened have power. But no turn over and security light is still on. Turned off car took out keys and left car alone came back later and car started w/O incident. No security light on. Same issue keeps happening maybe 4 times a month if not more have to wait 10 mins in order for car to start. Issue happens at gas station, home, work, hot and cold weather. Before I figured out 10 min delay had car towed and spent money on repairs that aren't necessary. Noticed one day while I sat in car for 10 mins in summer heat with 3 month daughter, that car makes a sort of computer humming/buzzing sound. After the 10 or so I hear a click or as I call it a shut down sound and then I am able to start car.

- Merced, CA, USA