4.4

2. new intermediate steering shaft (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments

Oct 102007

Impala 3.4L

They replaced the steering yoke but its still sloppy and the dealer and GM just blows it off.

if anyone in my family dies then someone there will go to prison for it.

I am done playing these hell games with evil people.

- , Taylor, MI, USA

Dec 012008

Impala 4DR 3.4L V6

I can't believe that there are so many others that are out there that have this problem, yet GM refuses to create a recall on this! UGH...

- , Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Nov 032008

Impala LX 3.4L V6

My Impala just developed the knocking in the steering. It is the Intermediate Steering shaft. It cost me about $200 for a new one. After time, all the lube settles to the bottom. GM will not issue a recall because it is not a safety issue. It is just annoying as hell and sounds like the front end may fall off. I had to have it either fixed or replaced 4 times on my '02 Silverado. My dad had to have his '00 impala's replaced and my sister had to have her Malibu's replaced. Terrible design. They say the new replacement is designed to not have the same problem. Hopefully it just lasts long enough to sell the pos and get a vehicle that goes through some form of Quality Control.

- , Sparta, MI, USA

Apr 052006

Impala LT 3.8L

the problem is the steering knuckle as per my dealer mechanic & it is very common on the Impalas & other GM vehicles using this same assembly. My mechanic told me it is definitely a factory defect & GM should be fixing them, which as far as I know they have not yet done this.

- , Cambridge, MN, USA

Jan 222006

Impala LS

My chev. impala has some slack in steering linkage somewhere , you can feel it in steering wheel when turning or going over patches in street-it feels like the steering linkage has some slack in tie-rods or steering column etc.

My neighbor who is a mechanic at the local chev. dealer told me after i had bought my new car that after a few miles the slack would start happening in the steering unit--So apparently THE CHEV. FACTORY knows about this problem and is doing nothing about it, since i haven't heard about any recalls on this problem....

- , west helana, AR, USA