8.1

$1,286.00

2. replace transmission (9 reports)
  3. overhaul transmission (2 reports)
  4. adjust shifter cable (1 reports)
  5. change the oil to dexron iii (1 reports)
  6. change transmission fluid (1 reports)
2004 Chevrolet Impala transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 012013

Impala SS 3.8L

All my fluids were good so I picked my brain and realized if my key keeps getting stuck cause of ignition then maybe my shifter isn't going all the way into gear. So i adjusted cable and it worked

- , Tacoma, WA, USA

Jul 072007

Impala 3.6L

In 2006 My car just out of the blue starting shifting really hard and I had to stop ,turn the car off then start back and it would shift ok. I took it to a shop and they replaced a shift sensor in the transmission I also had them flush the transmission since it ha about 9500 miles on it. Well now its doing it again and on top of that I now have the problem of the radio working but no sound coming from the speakers. Oh yeah and the rattle in the front end , I had the shocks replaced but it did not help. I take good care of my car, it seems like Chevy should have to fix some of this crap. I have always liked Chevy but maybe I should try another model.

- , Greencastle, Indiana, USA

Feb 202010

Impala LX 3.4L

well I prayed and laid hands on this car when I 1st saw it because I had a week to wait before I had the $ to get it.
I just wanted a reliable car since I went outta town every other weekend to pick up my son.
Well the 2nd week I felt a jerk so called the dealer. He had a mount for the transmission replaced. A year later I bought a '07 impala and parked the '04 since the low beams had gone out along with the radio and wipers. I was fed up.

Well due to a loss in income, I let the '07 go back and now once again, after driving it for a month and a half, the hard jerks are back. Changed bulbs--didn't work. Got new wipers--didn't work. So, hell, I'm gonna ride until it clunks out. It cost me $5400 to buy the car.

I won't pay that to repair it--I'd rather get a new car. And after having my transmission fluid changed and strainer replaced, it still jerked.

- , Milton, N.C, USA

Jan 282013

Impala 3800 Series Ii

The 2004 Chevy Impala has been shifting very hard at times and checked the cleanliness of the Transmission Fluid, and it was very low. If your Impala is shifting hard, check the transmission fluid and how polluted it is.

- , Rock Valley, IA, USA

Oct 112010

Impala 3.4L

Another problem with GM American cars. Poor quality and I hope our country suffers judgement on all its evil doings. GM does not stand behind their products not does Ford. They are both evil companies.

- , Taylor, Michigan, USA

Jun 162010

Impala Plain 3.4L

my transmission keeps going out. i done put two transmissions in in one year.

- , Monroe, LA, USA

Jan 012007

Impala LS

Well, I like the rest of yo have a slipping transmission for the second time with this 04 impala!The first slip covered by warranty.Now at 183K it's doing it again. "but' one year after it was fixed it started slipping and then stopped. Now it's on a regular basis. I have had just about every problem happen with this car that I have read about from: wipers,breaks,water pump, starter, passlock all with in the first 2-3 years. I have driven chevy all my life but I betcha one thing that's it for me! I have been in contact with GM about every issue and they claim it's isolated. @tireda p charlotte fl. I would love to start a class action my email crystalceed@yahoo.com for all who would like to lets get it going. email me if we get enough people we should make a difference in how consumers are treated. I have read 100's of complaints we all cant be wrong.

- , Roswell, GA, USA

Apr 042012

Impala

Transmission went out. It cost me $2500 to repair. Transmission was shifting weird. Now head gasket is cracked. Coolant is mixing with engine. I will never buy another chevy.

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Nov 022011

Impala 3.4L

I BOUGHT THIS CAR WITH AN EXTENDED WARRANTY THAT EXPIRES NEXT MONTH I HAVE BEEN TO THE DEALERSHIP I BOUGHT IT AT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE HARD SHIFTING TRANS AND THE SURGING FROM A STOP POSITION .THEY HAD A YOUNG DUDE GET IN IT WITH A COMPUTER HE RAN AROUND IN IT FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES AND SAID THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE CAR. I TOOK IT HOME AND IT DID EXACTLY WHAT I COMPLAINED ABOUT ALL THE WAY HOME . I STILL OWE A YEAR AND 8 MONTH'S OF PAYMENT'S. GM NEED'S TO STEP UP . JOHN B

- , HORSEHEADS, NEW YORK, USA

Oct 202011

Impala LS 3.8L V6

A month or so after having AAMCO change the fittings from the transmission to the radiator due to a leak, and change the fluid, filter and gasket, it rode fine until last week. I drove for about a half hour, and parked. An hour later, I started driving. With every stop I made, it slammed into gear when I started driving. This is the first time the car has done this. I went straight back to AAMCO and they checked the car out. NOW, they say it needs a transmission overhaul. Estimate is $1400 to $2000 plus tax for the job.

Lets get an attorney to take a class action lawsuit against General Motors for producing a defective transmission, and then not taking responsibility for it. There are enough people involved that it should interest an attorney. WHAT DO YOU THINK??? WE ARE MAD AS HELL, AND WE ARE NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE.

- , Port Charlotte, FL, USA

Apr 052011

Impala 3.4L

YEH I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM AT STOP SIGNS OR LITES ALSO. PUSH ON GAS DOESN'T TAKE OFF RIGHT AWAY HAS A HARD JERK SO THERE IS A TRANSMISSION SHIFTING PROBLEM MECHANIC SAID SOLENOID IN TRANSMISSION MOST LIKELY. WHEN TAKE IT TO MECHANIC OF COURSE IT WONT ACT UP FOR THEM. MURPHYS LAW HA HA. NO ENGINE LITE ON OF COURSE.

I THINK THERE SOULD BE A RECALL ON THIS IT WAS HAPPENING AROUND 40,000 MILES ON MINE. I ALSO HAD TRANSMISSION FLUSH DONE AROUND 65,000 TO 70,000 MILES STILL DOES IT.

- , Greenbay, WI, USA

Aug 182010

Impala 3400

I spent all my money to fix it and now im broke and now i know its the dame transmission!!

- , Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jun 082010

Impala 3.4L V6

I own a 2004 Impala 3.4L V6. I bought this car a year go with 98000 miles after a couple of months it started to hard shift hard so I took it to my automotive teacher and did a diagnosis and found a code P1811. Which is max adapt long shift this causes it to hard. I rebuilt my transmission ($1200) and til today it still does the same thing.

PEOPLE HAVING THIS PROBLEM - THE ONLY WAY TO FIX IT IS TO COMPLAIN TO GM AND HAVE IT RECALLED!!! ( 1-800-222-1020)

- , Fresno, CA, USA

Jan 052011

Impala 3.4L

First, I acknowledge that we aren't hearing from people who have no problems with their transmission. People don't seek out websites to describe how their car is doing everything they expect it to do. However, I find it compelling that a number of complaints regarding 2004 Chev Impala transmissions are having issues, and most of them appear to have developed within about 10,000 miles of each other. My problem began around 90,000, and now my car is at 100,000. Today I found out my transmission is "about ot go" after it's been increasingly shifting hard, especially in first gear.

It can also be said that GM isn't necessarily obligated to be responsible for ANY problem that occurs past a specific warranty period, whether that be self-imposed or through UCC. After all, I doubt GM is intentionally selling a product they know to be defective from the start. While specific failure within a similar usage amount certainly indicates a problem, it doesn't mean GM was aware of it when they put these transmissions in. However, no matter what obligation GM may or may not have to Impala owners--and I think there is no legal obligation--I will certainly think twice before purchasing another GM product. Even if GM begins having a wonderful track record and reliability is rated very high, the fact is my personal experience with the transmission will stick with me. Do I think GM sells bad vehicles? No, I don't. Do I think there are other auto makers who are leaps and bounds superior to GM? No, not unless I'm in the market for a super luxury vehicle. But when I have to come up with $2,000 to repair or replace a transmission after only 100,000 after I followed the recommended schedule for transmission services, I have a problem.

My vehicle was not being used for police or taxi service, and I'd say I'm a moderate driver. Most of my driving is highway, and when I accelerate I like to go slower to save gas. I would say I drove more carefully to save my transmission as well, but that didn't work out.

Would I consider another GM vehicle, or another Impala? Sure, but only after I research transmission information. If there is a lack of information on a given transmission and it's testing, I will not give GM the benefit of the doubt. A lack of information will be treated as negative information since uncertainty is more negative than positive.

- , Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Aug 112009

Impala 3.2L

to me this is as bad as if pharmaceutical co.'s were replacing the active ingredient with dog sh*t!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for risking my life and my family

- , Lorena, Texas, USA

Jul 012009

Impala 3.4L

Im just wondering why have they not yet recalled these vehicles i just got kicked in the head by interest on this vehicle and now i find out that the darn car has a bullshit factory tranny> i mean how many people have to go through this before they fix the problem.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 042010

Impala

There seems to be a big issue with transmissions in the Chevy Impala. Mine starting slipping and was told that the fluid needed changed. Well, it worked for a while and then it starting slipping and shifting hard after driving it for a while. I know my car has 100,000 miles on it but I have had other vehicles with this amount of mileage on them and never had issues with the transmissions. GM really needs to fix this problem. We bailed them out so now it is their turn to help out the people who bailed them out.

- , Akron, OH, USA

Apr 012010

Impala LS 3.8L V6

car shifts hard into gears , almost slamming into gear ,when i take off

- , Orange, MA, USA

Jan 222009

Impala 3.4L V6

I HAVE A 2004 CHEVY IMPALA HAD TO HAVE THE TRANSMISSION OVERHAULED FOR $2000.00 NOT TO MENTION THE SPEEDOMETER FROZE HAD TO FIX IT FOR $800.00. ALSO THE FUEL PUMP WENT AND NOW THE WATER PUMP TOO. BUY AMERICAN, NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 032010

Impala LX 3.8L V6

I have had all the typical faults with this Impala: Speedo not working, Tacho not working & now the transmission is not changing into firstwhen driving slow or taking off from stopped. It changes HARD after squeezing the throttle a little and gives a sudden kick in the rear (I amm afraid this will break something) This appears to happen after the engine is hot (after 1 hour of driving) I love Chevy's but now I am thinking of trading to another brand, maybe Jap.

Update from May 6, 2010: I did some research online about what type of transmission oil a 2004 Impala should use and how to assess the quality of the oil currently in the transmission.

I found that the level of fluid is critical als the type is critical. Chevy Impala's should ONLY use DEXRON III transmission oil because of the working temperature of the oil. I also found that if the oil is discolored (ie brownish or darker instead of red) and it smells like burnt toast, it has most likely been overheated and it will loose some of its qualities. Mine was brown and smelled like burnt toast, so I had my service guy flush the reansmission and change the oil to DEXRON III.

This appears to have worked...I think I was lucky to catch the problem early.

- , Rome, GA, USA