2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems: won't start, security light comes on

Won't Start, Security Light Comes On

2005 Chevrolet Impala (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.3

2. wait for 'passlock light' to be solid, then start (2 reports)
  3. clean ignition with solvent spray (1 reports)
  4. clean the connectors to the ignition switch (#4) (1 reports)
  5. do complete fillups @ the pump (1 reports)
2005 Chevrolet Impala electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 242014

Impala V6

When the security light comes on my car won't crank and I have to let it reset before I can do anything. It has done me like this several times causing me to be stranded. I depend on this car to be safe and dependable and right now it is neither one. I take care of it, keep it serviced, and clean. This is a problem that I feel is beyond me and something that GMC should be responsible for fixing at no cost to me.

- , Lumberton, NC, USA

Aug 032013

Impala 3.4L V6

Last year I had the ignition switch replaced on my 2005 Impala, about a month ago, car locked up again. Would only start a few times in 1 month's time! I'm so tired of this crap! Thank goodness my husband has a car I can take to work.

I really think GM needs to take a look at the ignition problems on the Impalas as well as the other cars! I have tried to do the key on the "ON" position, nothing works! I love my car, hate to deal with the problem!

- , Beloit, WI, USA

Jun 072012

Impala LS 3.4L

This is probably the worst thing ever.

my security light comes on all of the sudden while I'm driving and the next time I try to start my car IT WONT START.. so I've been late to work, and unable to do things because my stupid ass car wont start! I drive my car wonderfully, take VERY good care of it. there's no reason I should have these problems.

- , Burlington, IA, USA

Jul 252012

Impala

there has to be a solution with so many common occurrences. help

- , Shawnee, OK, USA

Jun 012011

Impala 3.4L

MY 2005 Chevy Impala, has had soo many problems...this is the most recent problem...I was driving and all my gauges died..but the car was still running. Battery light, Security light, and low fuel light were flashing..I pulled over turned off the car, and started it back up, gauges all still stuck on 0..and lights still flashing..I unplugged the battery to reset ..and when i hooked it back up...the car will NOT START ..when i turn the key over makes no noise or nothing!!..soo mad.. Tryed to jump it too...Less than i year ago i put in a new started, alternator, & battery....I have no clue what is going on...Im really annoyed

- , Buffalo, NY, USA

Aug 242011

Impala

My car has been giving me a problem for over a year now. I have put an ignition switch, alternator, starter and battery in it. But apparently it has to do with the security system. All I want is my car to work. I don't live where I can take a bus to work; luckily I have been able to use my daughter's car. We work opposite shifts. Next time I get a car I am def not getting chevy. I will get a Hyundai!!! My daughter has had 2 and they are awesome.

- , Medina, New York, USA

Feb 232011

Impala

My 05 Chevy Impala will not start and what I have found is the Passlock Security System has failed. The Security light starts flashing which tells me I'm not starting this time. What has worked for me is to turn the key on and sit and wait and when the security light stops flashing and goes solid the car will start. I have got in the car, turned the key on and removed the key, went back in 10 - 15 minutes and it started. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this problem. Chevrolet you need to address this problem and fix this quickly through a RECALL.

- , Harriman, TN, USA

Mar 182011

Impala 3.4L V6

Second bout with this no-start condition in two years. Had the switch changed about two years ago but now the Impala is doing the same thing - turn the key and nothing. Lites come on, etc. though. This has happened 4 times in the past 5 weeks. Car is not reliable - works one day but then not the next. Watch out people - you may have a second episode of this car being unreliable. Am totally aggravated that I am having to experience this problem again while owning this car.

Update from Apr 23, 2011: Replaced the starter and thought the problem was fixed. Now two weeks after installing the starter, Impala has again not started - this time I was 50 miles from home.

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 072011

Impala

I just stopped to fill up my 2005 Impala with gas. Now the car will not start, the interior lights and locks do work. I put in the key, get power, then nothing. The car just will not start; it is not a battery issue. This is not reliable and I will never; nor anyone else close to me ever again purchase a Chevrolet vehicle. The security light is on, I did the whole wait up to 30 minutes thing and pushed lock/unlock buttons. We should all get together and file a suit.

- , Rice, MN, USA

Oct 012010

Impala 3.4L

ok mr.s if your car as the passlock system getting you mad .... i found an easy solution that cost nothing but 2h of your time... every week i had this f*** ing light in the dash ( security light) and the car would,nt start i had to wait 10 min. and restart the car every time.... so if you have the same problem well i enjoy you to try this first because the last time i had this trouble was last year....

get the front dash cover off... to get the ignition switch out you may access the ignition from under the dash .... you just have to disconnect the 2 connectors black and white one and check the pins in the ignition switch, they must be clean gold if not there,s your problem. i took a nail brushing thing to clan it and put all in place again... everything went good since.... the thing whit this is that the corrosion on the pin give a faulty resistence reading to bcm module that block the car system as security ...

- , Laprairie, Quebec, Canada

Feb 102008

Impala 3.8L V6

I am tired of going out to functions or whatever and come back to my car with my friends aboard and find out that my car will not start AGAIN and have to sit there turning the key for about 10 minutes until it decides to start. This is very aggravating, especially if its cold or very hot outside. Why cant GM recall on this issure since this is a problem with many others?

- , Roanoke, VA, USA

Jun 122010

Impala LS 3.8L

What's the deal with this GM passlock issue? My kid has an 2005 Imp and has the same no-start condition. All the lites come on, remote locks work but turn the key and nada. Tried all the quick fixes (jiggling the key, disconnect the negitive batt cable, wait 10-20 min, etc.) but it's still sitting at her job collecting dust and costing her $$. What's the deal? Does anyone have a viable solution besides tossing cash at the BCM or Ignitoin switch?

Pops

Update from Jul 18, 2010: Well the car is fixed. After all the trouble shooting and changing the starter (weak solenoid) it turned out to be the ignition switch. Remove the switch from the dash (it will have to hang down under the dash because of the cable to the neutral/safety switch). Follow the steps in tips #1 and #2 first. Next, take the 2 big connectors off and look at the connector pins on the switch. You will see excessive wear marks on the pins where the red wires go, which is causing the no start condition. Take a piece of fine grit sand paper (400-600 grit) and clean them up. Then put dialectric grease (like you use on sparkplug boots) in all the female connector pin holes, wipe off the excess, plug the connectors back in. Leave the switch hanging and start the car to verify the fix worked. Reinstall switch.

Tips:

1. The little plastic tab sticking out has no use so take some pliers and snap it off, trim jagged edges to prevent cuts. This will make reinstalling the switch much easier.

2. The 3 little wires that go into the key cylinder area are for the passlock system. You CAN NOT remove them by pressing the tabs because you have to pull the key cylinder out first (insert and turn the key, press the brass lock tab in and pull the whole assembly out). Check the electronic component attached to it and apply some dialectric grease on the female connector here too. Reassemble in reverse order.

Pops

- , Fallon, NV, USA

Mar 312010

Impala LS 3.2L V6

I LOVE CHEVY'S BUT THE THE PROBLEM IS THE SECURITY SYSTEM IT SUCKS MY CAR STARTS WHEN IT WANTS TO I TOOK IT TO THE CHEVY PLACE THEY CHARGED 139.00 JUST TO TELL ME THE PASSLOCK WAS NOT WORKING THEN HE TOLD ME THEY MAKE CHEVYS TO FAIL AT A CERTAIN MILIAGE THATS WRONG AND I THINK SOMEONE SHOULD FILE A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT AGAINST CHEVY THEY SHOULD BE ASHAMED-I NEVER EVER WANTED ANY OTHER CAR BUT A CHEVY BUT NOW I WILL TRUST A TOYOTA BEFORE I TRUST A CHEVY.

- , Miami, FL, USA

Apr 282010

Impala 3.4L

As anoying as this problem has been for everyone that has pass lock issues, there may be multiple issues, but after dealing with mine for three years and living with it, and this week the damn pass lock triggers on a daily basis, I was minutes from either selling the car or getting the fix for $500 until I thought of one more attempt to try without messing with bypass switches or wiring... cost was $2. since my problem was very intermittent, and this is electrical, took the easy route with a "cleaning" - cost $2

1) Use solvent based cleaner that will clean electrical components and also disolve grime - I used Screwloose® Super Penetrant.

2) Spray a few quick bursts into the key hole and let sit overnight. Caution - do not start your car - this is untested if it may short your ignition...

3) Use a pipe cleaner to remove excess/dirty solvent the next morning. The dirty solvent was extremely black - my car is 5 years old. The car started right up and have not had the pass lock issue today yet - had it 4 times yesterday before I did the cleaning.

I am not a mechanic, this is untested and may void a warrenty. If you are at your witts end and thinking about doing the $500 fix, you may want to try this. My theory is that due to the intermittent nature, and how the pass lock works via voltage reading, there must have been a bad connection. I cleaned my key as well. I guess after spraying Armor All and other cleaning products on the dash for the last 5 years, some may get into the key hole - or other grime from key wear or lint, etc... from putting the keys in my pockets. Hope this common sense approach is on target instead not knowing if the ignition cylinder replacement/more expense is really necessary.

- , Oregon, WI, USA

Dec 142009

Impala 3400

I bought this 2005 chevy impala for my wife to commute & today was the 7th time that it wont start. Twice at work, at the market and at home. This is a bad deal for chevy, like I told my father in law, that's why I only buy foreign cars. This is a crappy deal we are getting from our trusted american car manufacturing. Shame on those buttholes. I will not ever buy a chevy vehicle again. They got got my money once ,thats all they are getting. The car can't be trusted at all - you never know when its going to start and when will you be sitting there for an hour to getting going. Its time we did something. I've been reading about this problem being in 2000 models and I have a 2005 Model and am still having the same problem. By now those worthless people at chevy should have figured out what the problem is. But why do that - lets make money by bleeding the american people who buy our cars with expensive repairs , that no one will really know what to fix. Bleed them with $300 repairs at a time.. Shame on you Chevy,Shame on you.

- , Raymond, WA, USA

Sep 112009

Impala LS 3.0L V6

Put key in ignition and it will not start. All the power works and the security light comes on. Same thing happened a year ago and had to spend $150 for a new ignition. Now I see I am not alone with this problem. Will be getting rid of this piece of crap and buying a VW CC. Good riddance GM!!!!!!!!

- , Leavenworth, KS, USA

Jul 152009

Impala 3.4L V6

I really need help with this crappy car!!! i cant even go to the store with out it happening. my car works one day then it doesnt. i put the key in the ignition but wont click wont turn on..nothing...the panel lights come on..the head lights work!! but still the car wont come on! i hate it!! ive checked my alternator, battery, and one more thing and everything seem to be just fine!!

plz help!!

- , Pasadena, TX, USA

May 282009

Impala V6

We thought the problem was our starter, but we finally took it in to get it checked out and they told us it was the security panel that needed replacing. $450, almost as expensive as a starter.

- , Northville, MI, USA

Jun 232007

Impala LS 3.8L Seriesii

I am on autobeef looking for a solution to a stuck ignition lock that wont let me turn it out of off in my Impala. However, I did come across this issue, and maybe posting my solution will get the good Lord to fix my ignition

Since I noticed your posts are pretty recent, I'll let you know that I used to have issues with the PassLock in my 2005 impala randomly deciding not to start. The fix I stumbled across (partly on Internet info) was that if I always fill my tank up, I don't have the problem. As crazy as it sounds with gas prices fluctuating, I'm serious. I used to fill up half a tank at a time. Once it dropped to about 1/4 tank, the passlock/no start issue would begin. Once I consistently went from under 1/4 tank to full a the pump, it stopped. No problems for at least a year now.

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 102008

Impala 3.4L

the cars security system is a re-call I have had 4 other ppl with the same problm and has cost them over $500.00 .. we should all file a class action lawsuit to have GM fix this

- , Chicago, IL, USA