2005 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 142010

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when making a turn in any direction at any speed, the steering wheel would not self center. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the center sensor was replaced however, the contact was still experiencing the failure. The VIN was not available. The current mileage was 61,000 and the failure mileage was 45,000. Updated 05/09/12 the consumer stated once the wheel is turned bout 20 degrees, and he removed his hands, the wheel momentarily self center. Updated 06/01/12

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 012011

Impala 6-cyl

Driver seat heater stopped working. Heat on driver side blows cool air and passenger side blows warm. Rough shifting of speed between 20-30 mph since first month of purchase.

- North Hills, CA, USA

Aug 012009

TL- the contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact was driving 30 when the steering wheel seized and became difficult to maneuver. The contact also stated that at engine startup, the smell of fuel emitted inside of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to both a private mechanic and the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 83,000. Kmj

- Lewiston, ME, USA

Oct 012011

Impala 6-cyl

My Chevy Impala began shaking when I attempt to slow down on the freeway from speeds of 55-65 miles an hour. I have replaced the tires, brakes, and balanced, aligned, rotated and the shaking has not stopped. This is very dangerous when you need to come to a quick stop because when your car shakes like it's falling apart your first instinct is to let go of the brake. I have researched this problem and have come to discover this is a common problem with Chevrolet Impala's. I can not afford to keep dumping money into a temporary solution.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Apr 142010

Impala 6-cyl

Steering knuckle makes a popping noise speedodometer does not work temp gauge does not work cruise control engages when ever it wants to if the switch is in the on position a herd that a lot of Chevrolet had recalls for these conditions! are there any recalls for these conditions on my car?

- Grandview, TX, USA

Dec 172010

3.4ltr 6cyl base model has had multiple defective sensations for some time now; among those are steering, transmission shifting from a standing stop, braking and odd noises. This vehicle's 5 Y/O with only 20K mi, owned by elders & used locally, I've been driving them, & now I have this car. The left outter tie rod end had to be replaced with less than 20K mi. The steering still has an unstable feel when turning and make a metal to metal clinking noise from a defective (& as told by my mechanic & NHTSA reports, repeatedly reported) intermediate steering shaft. There should be a total recall because of this defective GM engineering problem. There is also a clinking noise occasionally when accelerating from a standing stop; can not tell if this defect is from the steering or something else like the engine mounts. Have not yet discovered this source. From a standing stop, the transmission will occasionally shift abruptly, either from a neutral disposition into 1st gear or from 1st to 2nd gear; the car lurches forward & the occupants heads are whipped back. This is similar to other reports of defective power train functionality I've read about with this model. Braking, when just starting a trip, has an improper feel and sometimes sounds like it's grinding, as if the brake pads or rotors are cracked/worn; this is a sensation I've had with vehicles having 100,000 miles, not on a car like this with only 20K miles. The center arm rest's pad support is flimsy/cheap plastic & has broken simply upon entering & shifting in the seat. I now see why so many police departments have discontinued the Impala's in favor of the charger's, crown vic's, Taurus's and escapes. The us government should be severely fining GM for marketing this car. >>>this car needs to be recalled for many reasons<<<

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Nov 012010

Fax from senator menendez on behalf of constituent re a recent conversation with GMC about a problem with their 2005 Chevrolet Impala; would like to know why GM can't be a viable, honest, consumer friendly man'F of a safe car the consumer stated there was a popping noise coming from the vehicle when stopping or making turns. After doing some research, the consumer learned the problem was the intermediate steering shaft.

- Monroe Township, NJ, USA

May 202008

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the steering became loose and the contact could hear a noise within the steering column. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure began intermittently but progressed and was not an everyday occurrence. The failure mileage was approximately 29,000 and the current mileage was approximately 40,000. Updated 02/03/11 the dealer determined there was an internal failure with the intermediate steering shaft. Updated 03/18/11

- Columbia, MD, USA

Mar 152010

On my 2005 Chevrolet Impala, 6 cyl, the power steering components are leaking P/S fluid. The pump has been replaced at least once and now the steering rack is in jeopardy of failure.

- Rome, NY, USA

Dec 222005

Impala 6-cyl

I bought a new 2005 Chevy Impala in March 2005 and had to replaced the steering shaft after about 12000 miles in 9 months. In Feb,2010 I had to replaced the second shaft that's 3 shafts in 4 an half years with less than 60,000 miles.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Feb 152009

Impala 6-cyl

Driving to work approx 06:30 am. Power steering went out, managed to turn the car towards ditch to avoid oncoming vehicles. Approx 45 mph, two lane frontage road. The car has always been rather weavy on the highway. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong until the recall for steering linkage was pointed out. Even after that, the car handled poorly and was reported to dealer. (steered poorly) reported to dealer, nothing done until after accident. Power steering pump replaced, but dealer refused admission of fault. Billed us for accident damage and replacement of powersteering pump.

- Great Falls, MT, USA

Nov 022009

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. When driving intermittently he hears a clanging noise in the steering column. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, and a grease kit was installed on the I-shaft. After 14,000 miles the failure resurfaced. The vehicle would be diagnosed by the dealer in December of 2009. The current mileage was 29,268. The failure mileage was approximately 14,600. Updated 4/7/2010 the dealer replaced the intermediate shaft. Updated 05/20/10.

- Maple Glen, PA, USA

Jul 012009

Clunking noise coming from steering shaft. GM dealer told me that thee have been numerous problems with steering shafts on this vehicle but no recall. Will cost $250 to fix.

- Ebensburg, PA, USA

Sep 072009

My vehicle, a 2005 Chevy Impala, has had an issue concerning my fuel pressure regulator. After taking my vehicle to the Chevy dealership to find out what the issue was, the diagnostics test had discovered that the fuel pressure regulator was damaged. I did further research on the issue they discovered I have come to find out that there was a recall on the same exact part on March 12 of 2007. When I returned to pick up my vehicle, they also mentioned another issue about my vehicles steering. This also showed up on the list of recalls for my model/year vehicle. When I asked regarding the issue of why my car was not involved in the recall, they stated that my VIN number is not in the list of cars they felt should be recalled. I was concerned and wondering why would my vehicle not be recalled also when the same exact issued occurred on my vehicle as well.

- Laurel , MD, USA

May 152009

I was sold a vehicle from a car dealership that supposedly had a 100+ point inspection including safety equipment. After taking the vehicle to my mechanic, I found that the rear brakes had only 10% brake pad left and the power steering was compromised.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jan 132009

I have a 2005 Impala and I've been experiencing problems with the steering and was told by a GM mechanic that it was my tires, so I had all 4 tires replaced and still have issues when turning the wheel. I can hear and feel a clicking/popping nose everytime.

- West Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 052009

Speedometer said I was doing 87 mph when car was shut off and in park. Took car to dealer, had instrument cluster replaced. Also had them check pop in the steering( made noise when I bought it from dealer with less than 31,000 miles on it. Dealer replaced instrument panel cluster, steering shaft and cruise control sensor. ( cruise control would just shut off and work periodically.) it was really just an adjustment on the brake sensor switch that needed adjustment. Had to take car back for the adjustment to brake pedal sensor.

- Clearlake Oaks, CA, USA

Sep 062008

2005 Impala popping sound made in steering wheel when turning vehicle. After consulting with mechanic he stated it could be a problem that could cause my steering to fail while driving. After performing research online it appears this is a common problem with the initial design of the vehicle's steering lubrication system. This could be a potential safety concern if the steering fails while in motion and the driver is unable to steer the car.

- Central, SC, USA

Sep 132007

Premature failure of left tie rod end. Failed at 28,000 miles.

- Townsend, MT, USA

Feb 212008

Impala 6-cyl

Power steering total quit working on two occasions in the past few months and we were stranded on the road and had to have auto towed to dealer.

- Marion, OH, USA