2005 Chevrolet Impala steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chevrolet Impala:

2005 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 162016

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving approximately 50 mph, the front wheel made a noise. The contact attempted to slow down by depressing the brake pedal and heard a loud banging noise under the front end by the accelerator pedal. The contact attempted to pull the vehicle over to the shoulder of the road; however, the steering failed. The vehicle drifted into the left lane and into oncoming traffic. The vehicle crashed into a retainer wall. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. It was diagnosed that the bushing failed and the subframe separated and disconnected from the vehicle. Also, the steering failed and the entire front end of the vehicle fell apart. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 190,000.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jan 212016

Impala

I have another complaint about this vehicle and the list could go on.I purchased my vehicle and paid cash for it.about a few months ago my dash meters started going out.I have almost ran out of gas on may occasions with my children.the speedometer goes out and I have to keep up with traffic.also my power steering pump decided that it wanted to lock up in the middle of a parking lot.it's leaking and messing up other parts of my car I believe.my car has been maintenance and cared for.these problem came out of no where without warning.they should be repaired by the makers and not the consumers.this is a safety hazard that warrants a recall.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 282015

Impala 6-cyl

2005 Chevrolet Impala. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle stops and steering locks up while driving. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled while at a stop sign. The manifold gasket, thermostat, ABS module and ignition were replaced over a period of eight years.

- Middleton, WI, USA

Sep 042015

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that when the steering wheel was turned left or right, it made an abnormal noise. On another occasion, when the ignition key was turned to the on position, a burning odor emitted inside the vehicle intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Massena, NY, USA

Feb 202015

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving at 12 mph, the power steering seized while making a turn. Also, the contact mentioned that the check engine warning indicator illuminated as the engine stalled and immediately restarted. The failure had occurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, where it was diagnosed that the cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 112,149.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Sep 182012

Impala

First, I had to replace the rack and pinion steering. Could have been the steering knuckle, don't know. Then, I was driving about dusk and the low beams went dark. The car has an automatic switch that moves the headlights from daytime mode to nighttime. Local mechanic called the GM dealer and spoke with a GM mechanic. The GM mechanic told him the turnstalk assembly was defective and that they frequently replaced them on Impala. I paid for both repairs out of pocket. Then, the heater would only work on the passenger side; heater blend door on driver's side was defective. Recently, I had the heater blend door repaired at my expense. Then, I had the transmission rebuilt at my expense. GM would not assist with any of these repairs even though service bulletins existed on all of these issues. Looking at online discussion boards for this car I found all of these issues with numerous owners. The transmission would slip when going from first to second gear and then began bumping in other owners. What a lemon this car has become.

- Oxford, NC, USA

May 252014

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle veered off the highway and rolled over several times. The contact sustained scrapes, bruises, and other minor injuries. Medical attention was not received. The contact was unsure if a police report was filed. The vehicle was towed from the scene. The contact received a recall notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V400000 (electrical system).the manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Jonesboro , GA, USA

Aug 222014

Impala 6-cyl

Ignition failure caused to lose control of vehicle and run into stump causing $3350 of damage to vehicle.

- Emory, TX, USA

Apr 162014

Impala 6-cyl

When I was driving my vehicle a couple months back my car only steer one way and I had to stop on side of the road so I went to the shop and they told me it was my rack and pinion so he repair that after a few weeks of driving it my rack started leaking again now im stuck with that not to mention I replace my 02 shift sensor and I suppose to stop my car for stall in first and second gear but it still do D the same and now it go N to gear and won't move.

- Tarboro, NC, USA

May 202014

Impala

While driving my children to school, my steering wheel locked up, my gas pedal would not accelerate, and my brake pedal locked up, brought to my local dealership they replaced the ignition and the problem is still occurring. Updated 2/27/15

- Coxsackie, NY, USA

Dec 212012

Impala 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated the ignition failed to start until after numerous attempts. The failure recurred seven times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was unavailable. Updated 8/19/14 the consumer stated the steering mechanism failed also. Updated 09/5/2014

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 182011

Impala 6-cyl

Steering knuckle is going out has been popping ever since we bought it.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Jun 062014

Ignition has gone out.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 042014

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving, an abnormal clicking noise was heard when turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering column bearings were defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact also indicated that the air bag sensor light was illuminated. The dealer diagnosed that the air bag coil spring was defective. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the defects. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Adrianne, MI, USA

Feb 252014

Impala

I have had this problem before. It comes and goes but never is steady.

- North Bellmore , NY, USA

Feb 012012

Impala 6-cyl

The transmission hesitates at stop and go traffic, tranny shop says it is a switch solenoid that is defective in the transmission itself. It is commonly reported by many consumers of this make, model and year. Seems to shift fine when driving on longer drives ie. Interstate driving. Could cause potential safety hazard when trying to pull out into traffic from stopped position.

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Jun 092013

Impala 6-cyl

First bought the car in 2011 with 160,000 miles on it and four months later my entire steering goes out so I had no power steering the people I bought the car from didn't bother to tell me about it and the car wasn't under warranty so when we told them about it they didn't want to fix it. Then exactly a year later the same problem happens I don't have any power steering so we got the power steering fixed twice now so im thinking ok something is going on here then this year about the exact same time as the previous two times my power steering goes out again for the third time so we got that fixed again and I don't wanna sink anymore money into my car. As for my traction control and ABS system I have nothing even though we took it to a garage to have it fixed and they said they fixed it now three days later the ABS and traction control light are on again saying I don't have either and as of now I don't feel safe with my car anymore because the power steering has gone out so many times and since I don't have ABS or traction control anymore.

- Fort Dodge, IA, USA

Aug 012011

Impala 6-cyl

From stop I would step on the gas, and the car would slam into gear. I have had to have the electrical cluster replaced $300, and the fuel control replaced (car always smelt like gas) now they think this slam is the tcc valve in the transmission which is anywhere from $600-$900. Also the steering knuckle makes a loud noise on sharp turns. Whats next" are any of these issues recalls"

- New Era, MI, USA

Oct 312011

Impala 6-cyl

I purchased vehicle Oct 2011, transmission went bad, started steering hard, had it checked by dealer (chev) place. Gave me estimate of $3000. To replace steering. I talked with recall people they finally lowered it to me paying $700.. said the VIN # does not match the recalls Impala. There is large electrical problem makes car shut down going down road. All of this begin 2 weeks after my purchase. Im a senior living off social security, cannot afford even the small amount of fixing this car. I have spoken with Impala owners, they all have the same problems. Im still making payments on this piece of junk. Owe $5000. Bad decision. Do hope you can help me. Thank you.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jul 282012

Impala

The contact owns a 2005 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked while turning. The contact then lost control of the steering and could not control the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a median. No one was injured. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for a diagnosis. The dealer could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 70,000. The VIN was not available.

- Tucson , AZ, USA